Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM SPEEDS

Options
  • 26-11-2008 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

are there any graphs or benchmarks or comparisons out there comparing different speeds of ram in real world applications or synthetic benchmarks?

I ask because I currently only have 2gigs of pc6400 (800mhz) ram in my rig, this obviously needs an upgrade. I would like to throw another 4 gigs of the same ram in there to put me at 6gb (with 64bit vista ultimate). would there be any benifit in getting rid of the ram I already have (which will have a resale value of approx 23cent) and buying maybe 4 gigs of PC8000 or PC8500 ram and put it in my 680i mobo.

I currently have my e6600 at 3.8ghz, and plan to keep it there until it dies, is 6 gigs (in 2x1g & 2x2g) gonna mess up my OC potential?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I currently have my e6600 at 3.8ghz, and plan to keep it there until it dies, is 6 gigs (in 2x1g & 2x2g) gonna mess up my OC potential?

Yes, the more ram, the harder on the chipset, the less of an overclock (if any at all). You ever notice enthusiasts will still only use a single stick for benchmarks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

ya, I got that impression alright. I heard that the OC becomes less stable the more modules you have. but by less stable....does that mean a reduction of maybe limiting my OC to 3.4 max, or 3, or worse???....

becasue if thats the case, upgrading my ram might slow down my PC rather than speed it up so....?

am I going to want to pump more volts into my ram, or into my spp? (ive got aftermarket cooling on the chipsets, so they can be increased a little....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

If you really want a high ammount of ram and want to over clock well to go for a 2x4gb kit, pretty expensive though, and the more ram on the stick the worse the stats usually are.

so, I decided to order this. means that ill be taking these out and putting them on adverts.ie and hopefully the new sticks will work okay in my evga 680i. fingers crossed :D

may have to update the bios.... (which I hate doing....)

sh1te....

was just about to order, and I just noticed that becasue it's the evga 680i sli lt model that I have, PC6400 ram is the highest I can out on the board.... shag balls

think im gonna have to stick with the PC6400 then and put it up to 6gb of it. get as high an OC I can get with that, then see what the best trade off will be as regards to having

6gb (2x2gb +2x1gb) and a reduced OC
    or
    4gb (2x2gb) and a full OC

• Advertisement

You won't get the full oc your getting if You add more ram, no matter which sticks you go for. Youd have some chance with an Intel chipset, but definitely not with nVidia as they're just about stable. Manties will tell You, he also had a 680i.

I'll just pump some extra volts into it so. :D

I love having the state of mind where i'm waiting and dont care if my e6600 dies so im forced to buy a new chip. means I can OC the beans outta it :)

I'll just pump some extra volts into it so. :D

All the voltage in the world won't change the fact that its a crap nVidia chipset

Advertisement