Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Game Awards 2008

Options
  • 26-11-2008 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭

That time of the year again - time to acknowledge the highs and lows of 2008's gaming calendar. There have been enough games released in the last 3 months alone to fill most nomination slots, so spare a thought for the big games released earlier this year when making your selections!

Nominations will be done in waves, and a new batch will be posted every 3-4 days. The groupings are as follows, and will be posted in this order over the next 3-4 weeks:

1. Sony PSP
    2. PC
    3. Nintendo DS
    4. Nintendo Wii
    5. Microsoft XBox360
    6. Sony PS3
    7. Fun Categories
    8. Overall

Voting will happen around the Christmas period, and results made available in the New Year.

Head over to the Game Awards forum to make your first batch of selections.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bit early for nominations since there's still a few excellent games to come. I'm holding off until Prince of Persia at least.

I was thinking there should be a category for best downloadable game? You could split it into xboxlive, PSN and Wiiware but if this means that threads are left off the first page then maybe just group them all together as a single award.

Don't even think of getting rid of the hottest game character award!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

to be fair retro is there any big upcoming hits for the psp? :D

Prince of Persia will be out by the time we get to the ps3/360 catagory.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I predict this thread will move from the OP's intended "awarding of games" to a fanboy flaming "bashing of consoles".

I'm trying to remember what games I have played this year, so far the ones that spring to mind are the most recent I have played:

Fallout 3, Mass Effect, GoW2, Metal Gear Solid:GotP.

All good games, but that Half Life birthday thread has made me realised that I don't think (i'll have to confirm) that I have played a game as good as that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Is it me or is there too many categories, i'll be pissed off by the time i got a quater of the way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

In hindsight, PSP wasn't the best choice to start off with (the tumbleweed in the Game Awards forum are now brandishing placards). Wasn't exactly a stellar year for that platform!

I'll be push up the PC Nominations tonight to hopefully drive a bit of traffic to the forum and get a bit of banter going.

I deliberately delayed the Xbox/PS3/Wii categories because as Retr0 said, there are still a few big name games on the way - Animal Crossing, Resistance 2, Prince of Persia, Sonic Unleashed etc.

• Advertisement

Is it me or is there too many categories, i'll be pissed off by the time i got a quater of the way through.

If you mean the voting, don't worry about that. We'll be using an online survey this year instead of 40+ threads, and you'll only have to answer categories that are of interest to you. 6-8 clicks per category and you're done. The whole survey will take less than 5 mins (and thats if you're answering everything).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well my PC nomination will be easy considering Left 4 Dead is pretty much my game of the year so far :)

One question: are we allowed 1 or 2 nominations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Mr E wrote: »

Is there room for "PC: FPS of the year" ?

Edit: Also "PC: Worst game of the year" ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well my PC nomination will be easy considering Left 4 Dead is pretty much my game of the year so far :)

ARGH! so want2play!!
    feckin essays.
    havent even played fallout 3 yet :(

Im trying to remember this years pc games

Space siege
    Wrath of the lich king
    Fallout 3
    Mass effect
    Crysis warhead
    Spore
    Far cry 2
    Age of Conan: Hybornian adventures
    Call of duty: World at war
    Stalker Clear sky
    Left 4 dead
    Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
    Mercs 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

What category would a PSP beat 'em up game be put into? Could it go in sport? Or would it have to go in action/adventure? Some of my favourite PSP games this year have been fighting games (Naruto Ultimate Ninja Heroes 2 and Ikki Tousen: Eloquent Fist to name but 2.)

Seeing as the PSP threads are so quiet might I be permitted to post a few examples after my nomination in each category to remind people of the games that came out this year for PSP?

I second Retr0's request for a downloadable title section. I'd like to request that if you do add a 'downloadable title' category, could you add one for PSP? Echchrome, Super Stardust Portable, Syphon Filter: Combat Ops, Flow and Everyday Shooter (soon). Then again, I could be the only one to vote in that category :confused:

OK executive decision time. :)

Retr0gamer: Looking back over earlier years, some categories have been lacking because of the "1 nomination only" rule. Allowing everyone to vote for 2 games might broaden the spectrum a bit. Therefore you can nominate 2 titles for each category. I'll update the rules on each thread. If you've already voted, please edit your existing post to add your second selection - makes it easier to see who nominated what.

Krieg: FPS is a valid category alright. There was an FPS of the Year and an Arcade/Action game of the year last year, so I'll add that category for PC now, and PS3/360/Wii/Overall when those categories come up. Worst Game of the Year is a bit vague - you could pick a crappy Flash game or a €20 shovelware game for that. How about "PC: Biggest Disappointment?"

GothPunk: Thanks for starting the ball rolling on PSP.... Go ahead and put refresher lists on the threads if you want. Looking back over previous years, there has never been a beat 'em up category. I'd say add your selections to Action/Adventure.

Retr0/GothPunk: I had planned for the following categories for other consoles-
    Wii: VC/WiiWare Game of the Year
    360: XBLA Game of the Year
    360: DLC (Downloadable Content) of the Year
    PS3: PSN Game of the Year
    PS3: DLC Of The Year

I'll add a download category for the PSP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

PsP game of the year in my opinion is Final Fantasy Crisis Core.

Then you know what you must do! Games mentioned here don't count.

Krieg: FPS is a valid category alright. There was an FPS of the Year and an Arcade/Action game of the year last year, so I'll add that category for PC now, and PS3/360/Wii/Overall when those categories come up. Worst Game of the Year is a bit vague - you could pick a crappy Flash game or a €20 shovelware game for that. How about "PC: Biggest Disappointment?"
    Yeah "PC: Biggest Disappointment" has a much better ring to it

Thanks Mr E

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

May be worth considering best indie game too? Fair amount of the most thought provoking and intelligent games I've played recently have been wee little flash games (Gravitation etc...). It is a fairly strong and interesting mini-area of gaming at the moment, and might help direct people towards titles they may not have heard of.

Best Indie game is already there, johnny.

Mr E, I wouldn't go creating more categories than will fit on the first page of threads. It was a problem a few years ago that threads were being left off the first page and being forgotten about. The guys last year did a good job of pruning back the categories so that they all fit on the first page and it all went a lot smoother. You should consider this before you start making a load of categories. Also I don't think VC games should get a mention since they aren't new. I think it would be best to combine the downloadable games award.

Go play loco roco 2. That piece of **** Crisis Core doesn't deserve any recognition.

• Advertisement

Mr E, I wouldn't go creating more categories than will fit on the first page of threads.
    Yep, I had thought of that (thats why I'm doing the nominations in waves). The current batch will stay there until next Tuesday, and the Wii/DS nominations will go up then. There are 2 'slots' left on the first page, so I'm ok at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Best Indie game is already there, johnny.

So it is! Apologies bout that! Me stupid.

I don't know about anybody else but this is looking like a mess this year. We have only covered 2 machines and have a page full of threads already. Having categories for specific genres within the same console is just overkill imo.

I don't know about anybody else but this is looking like a mess this year. We have only covered 2 machines and have a page full of threads already. Having categories for specific genres within the same console is just overkill imo.

Yeah might be worth just sticking to the old genre / overall awards structure. Platform specific is going to cause a lot of threads and confusion. Genre only would make it more competitive, while really letting the good games stand out (and good games should stand out regardless of console).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Wheres fighting game of the year? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

hold on for a couple of minutes as we sort this.

Sorry for the muddle, game awards keeps getting passed on because obviously whoever does it one year becomes so successful by the following year that they have no free time :D and it has to get sort of half passed on etc.

I thought since we were doing it differently this year (using a survey instead of 6,000 voting threads), we could go deeper into each category. Since the nominations are in batches, only the threads that had nominations would be pushed off page 1 each week leaving room for the next batch.

Obviously not popular though. OK.... need to rethink things.

Well it's just me moaning :) It just seems that the nomination threads are a little quite with so many genres to choose from. Maybe it's just me :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Well it's just me moaning :) It just seems that the nomination threads are a little quite with so many genres to choose from. Maybe it's just me :/
    While it does seem a lot more spread out this year, I actually prefer what Mr E has been doing with it to previous years. The staggered approach to creating nomination threads might be a shock at first, but I can see it working out better in the long run.
    And at the end of the day, there's nothing stopping people from going to the second/third page to look for threads that they've missed. (and it will be a lot more obvious that they're missing if 10 go off the page instead of 1 thread dropping off unnoticed)

If you look at the PC goty nomination thread from last year, there were only a page and a half of nominations. Compare that to some of the threads from this year, and they are ALREADY almost onto the second page after only being up for a day!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055191574

Had to wrack my brains to think of a PSP game that I've even bought this year (GoW), and the silence in the threads so far makes me think that perhaps I'm not the only one...

I say leave Mr E to it, he's doing a damn fine job so far!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

Patapon was better than Locoroco also Crisis Core is the only reason to own a PSP,only legal reason that is.

Advertisement