Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Game Awards 2008

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've thought about this over night, and I think I'm going to leave it the way it was.

If a category is weak and receives very few nominations (or no nominations) then it will just be dropped, without ceremony. PSP Sports, PSP Download and PSP Puzzle are heading that way. No big deal.

For the other categories, what difference does it make if Left 4 Dead gets 15 nominations or 30 nominations? Its still going up for the vote (which at the end of the day is what really matters here).

My goal here is to get votes for the categories, full stop. I ran the TV Awards during the summer, and it was a great success. Last year, the "Best Drama" category got 24 votes altogether. This year it got 61. Last year the "Best of the Best" category got 23 votes. This year it got 66.

There is method to my madness. Bear with me... It'll be worth it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mr E wrote: »
    My goal here is to get votes for the categories, full stop. I ran the TV Awards during the summer, and it was a great success. Last year, the "Best Drama" category got 24 votes altogether. This year it got 61. Last year the "Best of the Best" category got 23 votes. This year it got 66.

There is method to my madness. Bear with me... It'll be worth it.

I'm filled with a bit more confidence now. I just think I don't like change :)

Can you not fix the PSP category so that Crisis Core doesn't win anything. It really is **** ;)

I'll see what I can do. *wink* *wink*

Next batch is up (DS). I'll put up PS3 tonight.

Closed threads for PC and PSP. All of the major categories have been nominated for and all the big games are in there - I'll summarise the nominations in a few weeks and open them again for a few days after all other categories have been nominated to allow for final waves of nominations. If I left them open now, things will get confusing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Thanks for considering and adding the 'PSP Downloads' category, even if I was the only one to vote in it :pac: Maybe next year...

• Advertisement

No probs, GothPunk.

PS3 categories now up, plus a Legacy Award category for the PS2....

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

How about a "Best game you played this year" category? I played a shed load of games this year but hardly any of them released this year!

Is the Wii votes up yet?

Don't know about that, Chumpski. Its wide open. I played Pacman, would that count? It'd be too hard to come up with a list of nominations.

"Overall" categories are coming in 2 weeks (along with the fun categories - Hottie/Character/Villain of the Year etc.).

Later this week, XBox360 and Wii.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Pacman you say:D!

Im dying to vote but honestly just can't since i'm playing mostly through my backlog of games!

Wakka Wakka :pac:
    No not really, but you see my point. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I would prefer this method myself:
    Catagories:

Best PS2 Game:
    Best PS3 Game
    Best PSP Game:
    Best Wii Game:
    Best DS Game:
    Best Xbox 360 Game:
    Best PC Game:

And if that wasnt enough
    Best Action/FPS:
    Best Adventure:
    Best Strategy:
    Best MMO:
    Best Racing:
    Best Platform:
    Best Rhythm:
    Best Sport:
    Best Party:

Biggest let down:
    Biggest surprise:
    Most anticipated for the new year:
    Most monotonous:
    Most played:
    Biggest rip off:
    Most challenging:
    Most surprising:
    Should never have been made:
    Most entertaining:

Best Console of the Year:
    Best Overall Game of the Year:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't for get hottest videogame character. Never forget!

I would prefer this method myself: <snip>

Mostly covered, cherryghost. Each of the consoles has a "Best Overall" category, and the "Overall" awards that cover all platforms will be up in 2 weeks.

Some nice ideas for the alternative categories though, thanks!

Retr0gamer - Hottie of the year is safe, don't worry!

XBox360 and Wii Nominations threads are now up.

PS3 and DS threads locked for the moment. All threads will be reopened on Christmas week for last minute additions.

Overall and Fun nominations are now up.

360 and Wii threads are locked for the moment. Sparse categories will be reopened next week for last minute additions.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=499

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I only just checked out the threads now-great work Mr E. Afraid I can't vote on anything cos I have only played MGS4 and PES2009 so far. The other games I played this year (DQVIII, SH2, KH 1+2) were not released this year.

I am pleasantly surprised by the amount of votes Valkrya Chronicles got for PS3 RPG of the year-I keep hearing how bad its sales were.

I bought it but have yet to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭YeGods

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Bit early for nominations since there's still a few excellent games to come. I'm holding off until Prince of Persia at least.

I was thinking there should be a category for best downloadable game? You could split it into xboxlive, PSN and Wiiware but if this means that threads are left off the first page then maybe just group them all together as a single award.

Don't even think of getting rid of the hottest game character award!

Hey Retr0gamer, straight ban from Nintendo.
    explain why i was not afforded my chance to defend myself before being banned
    Boards.ie an Open forum - don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

YeGods wrote: »
    Hey Retr0gamer, straight ban from Nintendo.
    explain why i was not afforded my chance to defend myself before being banned
    Boards.ie an Open forum - don't think so.

He explained exactly why you were banned... Taking up the issue on a random thread is just going to piss more people off.
    Have you actually sent him a PM to argue your cause?

It's sorted out now.

Back on topic. I knew I forgot something in the awards. Somebody needs to nominate Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes for best character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Oooh, good call!
    A much better character than my second choice, hopefully someone else will join me.

• Advertisement

I haven't nominated for that category yet, so I've added that as my choice. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

After looking through the award threads, i just realised that i have missed out on way too many of the big games of this year. More then ever before i'd say. Little Big Planet, Valkyria Chronicles, Dead Space, No More Heroes, Far Cry 2, Metal Gear Solid 4 and GoW 2 to name just a few. I've gotta start buying more games, and actually playing them.

Forget MGS 4 it's pants but try and get your hands on Valkyria Chronicles. It's brilliant and refreshing and deserves far more recognition than it is getting, well commercially anyway it's getting 9/10 across the board. Definitely my favourite PS3 game this year.

Now to sort my own self out and get Fallout 3 :)

Look I must protest. MGS4 is NOT pants. I am just past the halfway mark and it is excellent. You will get so much more from it if you know the story, if you've played the previous ones but pants it most surely is not. Ignore Retro.

I have yet to open VC but I look forward to it.

Also PES is still better than Fifa this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

sorry noodles but I agree with Reto and I am a huge MGS series fan

MGS4 by comparison is rubbish.

Thats no problem. The majority of people disagree thats it is rubbish. The problem is the people who didn't like it are far more vocal around here. I have to level things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

well if you'd like there is a lovely big thread on the MGS forum which has the debate going. Just be careful of Seifer he has a rabid hatred of the game that even I have to take a step back from.

I stand by that everything MGS4 does MGS 3 subsistance did and did it better.

Edit: Oh an valkyria Chronicles is by far the best game on the ps3 imo, only reason I didnt finish it is because some scumbag stole it on me (and my ps3)

I can't go near that place yet. Been avoiding it for months. I have only just reached
    SM again
    and don't want anything ruined.

It is a different game to 3. 3 was excellent but it had the luxury IMO of an already scripted storyline. Am I making sense there? I mean everyone knew the main point of the story before they played it. Amazing the least hyped game is alot of people's favorites.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

MGS 4 was good but not without its faults, but MGS 3 Subsistance was the high water mark of the series.

• Advertisement

May I ask what all the love for Subsitance is about? I never played it, was it the online or the new camera angle?

Advertisement