Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Game Awards 2008

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

MGS 3 was great but it had an annoying camera system that Subsistence rectified. Plus subsistence had some nice bonus extras. The online mode was mean't to be decent but no longer works ad Konami took the servers down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't think MGS4 is awful, but they really did take the cutscenes a step too far. I'd say your playing the game for around the same time you are watching it, which is really a pretty uneven design. The non-playable bits are just too awkward (with a few exceptions - there are some exceptionally directed moments). The gameplay is still solid, but MGS3 in comparison is pure gameplay - although Portable Ops is perhaps the purest recent Metal Gear, mainly for the fact they just let you get on with the sneaking. Although am a Subsistence player too - waited until the SE came out, and the fully 3D camera is a massive step up from the overhead view. Extras are just bizarre though (MGS Ape Escape - weird).

But yeah, definitely some hard choices this year. Really was a lot of great games. Have barely nominated Fallout 3 for anything, despite really enjoying it, which is just one game that probably would have swept the board any other year. Just so much to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

its not so much subsistance that I love, I love MGS3 as a whole, Subsistance with the added camera, multiplayer and horde of bonus content just removed any complaints I had about the entry.

The reason I name subsistance in the comparison with MGS4 is that in europe especially alot of people didnt play subsistance and dont know that the 3d camera and multiplayer were introduced then and not with MGS4 so the long list of amazing new things MGS4 added to the franchise shrinks abit.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Anyone got a pic showing Subsistance's camera angle? Tried to google it but to no avail. Can't say I had any problems with SE's camera angle.

Also I am only pat the halfway mark in 4 I think but I think the cut scenes have been less than 2 so far (also they contain more revelations and so are more interesting). For me anyway, SO FAR.

are you included those god awful briefings in that?

They were the biggest crime in 4, I know Codec bits p*ssed alot of people off, but the briefings were 10 times worse regardless of controlling the mk 2 and security cameras.

• Advertisement

I thought the briefings were okay so far (im being careful here cos I don't want anything ruined). But I find Sunny's song catchy, find Sunny adorable and the briefing for Chapter 4 (which I have just seen) was the best so far.

EDIT: Eh the tune of Sunny's song-not the lyrics obviously.

Cool, helpful to see more of the screen alright.

Wish I had gotten a chance to play it online-was going to buy it but when I heard they closed the servers I decided not to bother.

Was it laggy?

One bad point, the Shagohod was a bit pants wasn't it?

that was a most awesome boss fight though?

Seriously how long does it go on for (the duel in the hanger, the chase across the base, airfield and then the bridge, finally a 2 part fight with the tank itself) nothing has come close to being as epic as that was in the franchise. And it wasnt even the end of the game it goes on to deliver a final more empathetic boss.

Honestly I didn't like the Shagohod fight at all, apart from the on rails bit it was just like fighting Rex in MGS1. The End boss fight was brilliant if flawed (I would have loved to see that work with the PS3's HD), the fight with (the Fear is it?) when you have to do 'that' walk is amazing.

And yes the fight avec la Boss was poetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Time to unsubscribe from this thread for a bit.
    Comparing your experiences with your respective snakes is kind of disturbing. :D

Yeah sorry to hi-jack your thread. I'll stop now and save it until I finish the game.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

The End boss fight was pretty much my favourite boss battle ever. The only thing that I can recall rivaling it, was the fear of meeting M.Bison for the first time in Street Fighter 2 in the arcades after spending god knows how much money getting to him and then getting my ass handed to me.

Also I think there should be some kinda of MGS 3 Subsistence award for MGS 3 Subsistence because the game is MGS 3 Subsistence which has been proven to be all kinds of awesomeness and even though it was released in 2004 people now have a renewed appreciation for it after playing MGS 4.

MGS 3 Subsistence for game of the year!

Advertisement