Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best current account atm?

Options
  • 26-11-2008 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just wondering what the best current account is atm? I've been with aib for about 6 years but looking to change.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I thought this was going to be a discussion about the relative merits of various different atm card designs from each of the banks

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

Depends if you are looking for online banking, prefer a decent interest rate or you like good customer service, or indeed less banking charges on the account.

Current a/c's dont really interest me as the interest received from them is minute. I do have one for my salary to go into but that is all I use them for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

Halifax are best all round. 10% Credit interest up to 2k (with conditions), low overdraft rates, fee free for the normal stuff, visa debit card great for ATM and international / web usage.

But if they fairly deserve a prize for the current account product they also surely deserve one for the worst ATM card design.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I thought ATM meant "Automated Teller Machine" seems it means "at the moment"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I'm just wondering what the best current account is atm? I've been with aib for about 6 years but looking to change.

Define best!

Seriously, there is so much to a current account (ATM services, number and location of branches, queues in branches, online banking, current account charges, customer service, related product benefits (ie, applying for a loan/mortgage in a few years time with said bank), interest on credit/debit balance etc.

To be honest, there is no one "Golden Egg" that anyone can recommend. There is no bank that has a 100% customer record. Nor is there any current account that is the best in the above-mentioned criteria!

You say you are looking to change - why? What is it (or is it several things) tha pissed you off about your current current account that you wish to avoid?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Thanks for the help folks.

I've contact Halifax as the interest rate is too much to pass up on.

To the last poster. I ordered a new pin about 2 months ago. When it didn't arrive after 3 weeks I called and they said that it was never ordered. I was put through to another department and was told that I had to cancel my current card and have it re-issued. I waited another 3 weeks and still no sign. I phoned them and they said that my card had been cancelled but no new one was isssued. I would have to call into my branch to get a new one. If/when I call into my branch it will be to close down my account after they've wasted a lot of time and created hassle for me getting my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

To the last poster. I ordered a new pin about 2 months ago. When it didn't arrive after 3 weeks I called and they said that it was never ordered. I was put through to another department and was told that I had to cancel my current card and have it re-issued. I waited another 3 weeks and still no sign. I phoned them and they said that my card had been cancelled but no new one was isssued. I would have to call into my branch to get a new one. If/when I call into my branch it will be to close down my account after they've wasted a lot of time and created hassle for me getting my money.

Sounds like a nightmare. Did they have your correct address? That should only take a day or 2. And they certainly shouldn't have needed to cancel your card. I know you've probably made up your mind, but it might still be worth writing to "The Manager, AIB Customer Support Centre, Bankcentre, Dublin 4", even just for the satisfaction of getting an apology!

EXACTLY the same thing happened to me!!!

At one point, I walked into bank, picked up "new card" and walked outside to ATM where card was rejected, walked back into bank where they looked up card on system and it apparently had been canceled so I had to wait on a new one AGAIN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

It was a nightmare and still is. I've to transfer money into my gf's account and ask her to take it out which is a pain in the hole for her. No apology would fix this tbh. Treating a customer of 6 years like that is a joke. I moved to them from permanent TSB back then because they wouldn't give me a laser card :rolleyes: Fùcking banks!

Ye they had my correct address.

It was a nightmare and still is. I've to transfer money into my gf's account and ask her to take it out which is a pain in the hole for her. No apology would fix this tbh. Treating a customer of 6 years like that is a joke. I moved to them from permanent TSB back then because they wouldn't give me a laser card :rolleyes: Fùcking banks!

Ye they had my correct address.

Ironically I did the exact opposite, moved from AIB to TSB because of the above and the fact that AIB told me they would have to monitor my account for 6 months before they'd give me a laser - I had been with them 10 years!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement