Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reverse Tips

Options
  • 26-11-2008 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

I always mess it up any tips please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What do you mean by "mess up"? The more details you gives regarding the problems you're having the better we can help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

i am never close to the path :(

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

If you are not getting close to the kerb then reason is either :

1. you are starting to turn the steering wheel too late. It should be just as the back wheels get to the corner, dont wait until half the car is past the corner.

or

2. you are not turning the steering wheel enough, you need to turn between 1 to 1.5 turns of the steering wheel - now this is not an exact science because it depends on the shape of the corner (sharp right angle vs gentle curve) and also when you begin your turn. You need to practice on a number of different types of corners.

or

3. combination of the above and going too fast.

Main point to remember about the reverse is keep the speed really slow - you should not come fully off the clutch, use it to control the speed. Use the left side mirror as reference for the position relative to the footpath but main observation should be out the back windows and also dont forget to check your blind spot before starting to turn as the front of the car will swing out. If the speed is slow enough you should have enough time to take all round observation and also correct any deviations from the intended course.

One other point which I assume you understand is when you are reversing you are effectively steering the rear of the car. If you turn the steering wheel to the left, the back end of the car moves to the left etc. For the left reverse maneouver you should only be steering to the left and then back to center again, do not turn to the right beyond center i.e. you should not be turning the front wheels to the right! If you do this you will end up sending the back of the car towards the center of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shane190

DriveSkill wrote: »
    If you are not getting close to the kerb then reason is either :

1. you are starting to turn the steering wheel too late. It should be just as the back wheels get to the corner, dont wait until half the car is past the corner.

or

2. you are not turning the steering wheel enough, you need to turn between 1 to 1.5 turns of the steering wheel - now this is not an exact science because it depends on the shape of the corner (sharp right angle vs gentle curve) and also when you begin your turn. You need to practice on a number of different types of corners.

or

3. combination of the above and going too fast.

Main point to remember about the reverse is keep the speed really slow - you should not come fully off the clutch, use it to control the speed. Use the left side mirror as reference for the position relative to the footpath but main observation should be out the back windows and also dont forget to check your blind spot before starting to turn as the front of the car will swing out. If the speed is slow enough you should have enough time to take all round observation and also correct any deviations from the intended course.

One other point which I assume you understand is when you are reversing you are effectively steering the rear of the car. If you turn the steering wheel to the left, the back end of the car moves to the left etc. For the left reverse maneouver you should only be steering to the left and then back to center again, do not turn to the right beyond center i.e. you should not be turning the front wheels to the right! If you do this you will end up sending the back of the car towards the center of the road.

some nice helpful points there. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

If its raining and i cant see out side mirror- what do i do ????

I cant ask Tester to clean the mirror or can i :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

Yes you can ask the tester to clean the mirror. One other tip that you might find helpful, is when you're stopped at the side of the road before beginning the manoeuvre, look out the back window and see where the kerb is in relation to the window (it should be around the centre). When you've reversed into the road you'll be expected to reverse back about 3 car lengths, try and keep the kerb close to the original point in the back window, which will be a perfect distance from the kerb.
    Don't do this manoeuvre looking in the left mirror, or you could fail on observation. You should be looking out the back window and glancing in the mirror.

Advertisement