Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Notices" thing is annoying...

Options
  • 26-11-2008 11:05am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Takes up too much space.

Agree/disagree?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

Zascar wrote: »
    Takes up too much space.

Agree/disagree?

Disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Yer not serious?

Disagree - Besides, size depends on the amount of text in there - By next week, it'll be back down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Never noticed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Its about 50% too big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Agree with OP. It would be grand if it was limited to 2 lines of text, maybe in a smaller font.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm not being smart, but page down is a handy button.

Announcements are handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Maybe a little ajax-y "close" button would be handy, along with a cookie that lets the site know that the user has already opted to make the notice go away?

That way, we can read the notice once, benefit from the information it contains, and make it disappear until a new notice is put up. I can see the point of notices, but I must have read the current one hundreds of times now. Having to scroll past it every time is a bit annoying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

They're fine, don't bother me.

Smaller would be nicer though (in an overall aesthetic sense), maybe just a one line headline with a link to the bones of each announcement.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Should only show once per session/login now.

It used to be just me who added them, now I guess the other admins have figured it out :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

CuLT wrote: »
    Should only show once per session/login now.

It used to be just me who added them, now I guess the other admins have figured it out :)
    They're gone altogether now! any chance you could leave a link to somewhere they could be viewed?

Edit: Sorry, just noticed it's only a session cookie, that's cool. Well done that man.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Somebody left me a cookie? w00t!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Zascar wrote: »
    Takes up too much space.

Agree/disagree?

you are annoyed easily

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Good work, thanks Cult!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They also contain too much salt and fat. A healthier alternative should be made available.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Make em drop down/up!
    collapse_tcat_collapsed.gif
    collapse_tcat.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Its about 50% too big.
    That's what she said last night ...

/ducks

Seriously, notices are grand ... the fact that I read something yesterday doesn't mean I'll remember it to-day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Too big
    too much info
    too messy
    Get rid of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Page Down ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cult's got it right first time with only showing once per session. That way you see it once, do you know of any new announcements, but there is no need to see it on every page you are on.

Good work Cult!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I did notice it was fairly big yesterday, but at the same time I didn't think it was overly obtrusive.

Anywho, it's a few lines smaller today, it blends into the background again. Not really a big deal, doesn't need any major changes imho.

Advertisement