Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Kenny shot himself in the foot?

Options
  • 26-11-2008 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

Has Enda Kenny, with Fine Gael riding high in the polls, shot himself and his party in the foot by suggesting some future changes in the Constitution be decided by the Supreme Court?

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

bmaxi wrote: »
    Has Enda Kenny, with Fine Gael riding high in the polls, shot himself and his party in the foot by suggesting some future changes in the Constitution be decided by the Supreme Court?
    Two part answer from me: is he right? quite possibly. Will people get the hump at the suggestion? Almost certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I think he is lucky the FAS story has developed but a lot of Fine Gaels policies I would worry about especially their position on neutrality.

He also coloured his hair a more brownish colour than normal at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

He also coloured his hair a more brownish colour than normal at the weekend.

Indeed. I wonder how many votes his "Ming the Merciless" GE posters cost.

He's just looking ridiculous again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Is there something we don't know about fine gael voters regards enda kenny? Or does Richard Bruton just not want to be party leader?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Is there something we don't know about fine gael voters regards enda kenny? Or does Richard Bruton just not want to be party leader?

Enda is a grand leader and while he comes across a bit "rigid" (probably not the right word im looking for) he actually is a very down to earth and nice guy. Met him a few times and he is completely different to when he speaks on TV etc. A lot of the party and voters are generally happy with him.

As for Richard, even if he was to replace Enda, we would loose a damn fine Finance Minister.

Think FG have came a long way and offer a lot to voters as a good alternative. Despite how Enda may act or appear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Sully wrote: »
    Enda is a grand leader and while he comes across a bit "rigid" (probably not the right word im looking for) he actually is a very down to earth and nice guy. Met him a few times and he is completely different to when he speaks on TV etc. A lot of the party and voters are generally happy with him.

You are probably right about him being a nice if you meet him in person but you have to be able to reach people through the medium of tv and i dont think he can

I met him in person when he was canvassing for the European elections a few years ago, I found him incredibly dull but I suppose you could say that about 90% of politicians.
    He never strikes me as a good intellect or a charismatic leader.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Bob Z wrote: »
    You are probably right about him being a nice if you meet him in person but you have to be able to reach people through the medium of tv and i dont think he can

Completely different. Obama (bad example maybe) is full of smiles, relaxed while Enda seems rigid and firm. Probably serious even but perhaps this shows a "I mean business attitude". Meet him in person and he is completely different. Perhaps when he meets people outside of the TV set it may work .

Well, it seems to be working. He isn't doing to badly in the polls past and present.

I met him in person when he was canvassing for the European elections a few years ago, I found him incredibly dull but I suppose you could say that about 90% of politicians.

Completely different with me anyway and plenty of friends who met him. Plenty of people said it to me in the past about him. *shrrugs*

Completely different. Obama (bad example maybe) is full of smiles, relaxed while Enda seems rigid and firm. Probably serious even but perhaps this shows a "I mean business attitude". Meet him in person and he is completely different. Perhaps when he meets people outside of the TV set it may work .

Well, it seems to be working. He isn't doing to badly in the polls past and present.

i may be wrong but even though FGs rating went up didnt his own approval rating go down?

• Advertisement

i may be wrong but even though FGs rating went up didnt his own approval rating go down?

Yup, I meant the general party tho and the leader does have an effect on the overall rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I thought he was quite nice actually. A bit like a puppy though, I didn't want to follow him, just let him tag along behind me.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

admittedly I'm bias, (member of FG), but on the number of occasions that i've met the man, i can honestly say that he's charismatic, and You can warm to him very quickley.

He's also quite funny if you talking to him 1on1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yeah Bertie was able to reach people, and as we are now finding out good he was, aren't we ?
    Actually Gift Grub did more for his popularity than any image consultants.

But does Biffo strike you as being charismatic or having a good intellect.
    It is a political leader we are looking for not a blooming religious leader.
    I think this whole charismatic thing is overblown and inherited from the states where image over substance always seems to be the most important.
    Obama is supposedly charismatic, but all he did in election is keeping talking about bringing change, and it will soon be time to see if he can walk the walk.
    Actually I would say Bill Clinton would have been way more charismatic, just ask the ladies.

I thiink having your best man in Finance at this time is a very good move.
    Bruton comes across as assured and knows what he is talking about.
    Lest anyone forget one attribute of a good leader is team building and putting the right people in the right positions to make the most of their abilities.

Can anyone say that about Biffo ?

I actaully find this thread gas, we are discussing Kenny and his supposed failings, whilst the man in charge of government came out and gave his backing toegether with a glowing reference to someone that affectively screwed the taxpayers (and saw nothing wrong with it) and had to resign a day later.
    Only in Ireland.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

jmayo wrote: »
    I actaully find this thread gas, we are discussing Kenny and his supposed failings, whilst the man in charge of government came out and gave his backing toegether with a glowing reference to someone that affectively screwed the taxpayers (and saw nothing wrong with it) and had to resign a day later.
    Only in Ireland.

Actually, I think Kenny is rapidly becoming Fine Gael's Neil Kinnock, who if you remember, famously snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in 1992. There are parallels to be drawn, in the U.K. the Government had won three terms, the Prime Minister had been replaced and there were mass protests on the streets over taxation. The Government had lost several by-elections and were languishing in the polls but Labour still managed to lose it.
    The Courts including the Supreme Court, do not always reflect the judgment of the people, indeed some would say they never do and to suggest that issues of sovereignty be decided by political appointees could be seen as placing more and more power in the hands of our political masters. I wonder would Lisbon have been rejected by the Supreme Court.
    So, whatever his intention, I think Kenny made a big mistake and F.G. could yet pay for it, I'm sure the likes of Declan Ganley will remind him of it.
    I do echo your sentiments on Biffo though.

As for Richard, even if he was to replace Enda, we would loose a damn fine Finance Minister.

Think FG have came a long way and offer a lot to voters as a good alternative. Despite how Enda may act or appear.

I've heard similar stories and fully believe what you're saying. However,it's not just "rigidness". He just comes across as a pathetic loser on TV. Bertie Ahern came across so much better in the leaders debate before the last GE. Whereas previously John Bruton destroyed him. I know so many people who won't vote Fine Gael solely because of Kenny being the party leader. That's a good point about the finance minister alright.

jmayo wrote: »

Only in Ireland.

Yes but you need a good opposition to capitalize on the Goverment unpopularity.

He just comes across as a pathetic loser on TV. Bertie Ahern came across so much better in the leaders debate before the last GE. Whereas previously John Bruton destroyed him. I know so many people who won't vote Fine Gael solely because of Kenny being the party leader.
    Which goes to show that people are piss-poor judges of character.

But hey, if people want someone who comes across well on TV rather than someone who can actually do the job, that's their prerogative. They do say that democracies get the government they deserve.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Which goes to show that people are piss-poor judges of character.

But hey, if people want someone who comes across well on TV rather than someone who can actually do the job, that's their prerogative. They do say that democracies get the government they deserve.

99% of the people who will vote in the next General Election will not have met Enda Kenny. It is difficult to judge the character and pedigree of someone you haven't met so people will only have his media image to go on. Unfortunately for Kenny, his media image is not up to much.

...people will only have his media image to go on.
    How many of them will bother to sum their impression of him from print media as well as broadcast? How many are listening to what he says, rather than how he says it?

It's not a good reflection on society that its leaders are chosen in, effectively, an X-Factor style contest.

• Advertisement

How many of them will bother to sum their impression of him from print media as well as broadcast? How many are listening to what he says, rather than how he says it?

It's not a good reflection on society that its leaders are chosen in, effectively, an X-Factor style contest.

Like it or not, unless somebody has a compelling message to impart, that's the way it is. It's not a new phenomenon. It is widely accepted that John F Kennedy won the U.S. Presidency for the way he came over to the public on TV. Public debates by politicians were fairly new at the time and his debating skills were no better than Richard Nixon's. His managerial skills, as history has shown, were pretty poor but he had charm and charisma and that carried the audience and also sustained his popularity throughout his term.
    Barack Obama is similar, I've heard Obama speak several times but I've yet to hear him say anything remotely interesting.

He doesn't come across well in the print media either, especially with some of the terrible ideas they have come up with in the past few years(e.g boot camp, the populist tripe about the public sector at the moment).

Also that racist joke a few years ago was a bad start as opposition leader.

Any decent opposition leader would have had won the GE last year but didn't because the general public do not perceive as someone with the ability to be a good Taoiseach.

However if there is an election any time in the near future it is impossible to foresee how FG could not win.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The funny thing is losing the last election was probably the best thing that could have happened to Fine Gael and Enda Kenny. Well, some will gladly be prepared to take the hit for the reins of power i suppose. I suspect though the majority of Irish people would associate the country's woes with Fine Gael if they had attained power at the last election. the talk would be something like this: "we should have listened to Fianna Fail, Fine Gael don't know what they are at, they've run the country into the ground"
    I doubt very much Richard Bruton would have such a high rating as he presently does. Which would be grossly unfair but public perception often is just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I initially thought that, but Labour always gets finance as a sweetener in a FG/Labour coalition.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Any decent opposition leader would have had won the GE last year but didn't because the general public do not perceive as someone with the ability to be a good Taoiseach.

There's a well known saying in political circles that goes "oppositions rarely win elections, governments lose them"

Particularly Irish people aren't by nature risk takers, and if the government hasn't lost it, no matter how good an opposition is, it may come close, but it won't win.

Not being a good reflection unfortunately doesn't make it an inaccurate one.

Like it or not, unless somebody has a compelling message to impart, that's the way it is. It's not a new phenomenon. It is widely accepted that John F Kennedy won the U.S. Presidency for the way he came over to the public on TV. Public debates by politicians were fairly new at the time and his debating skills were no better than Richard Nixon's. His managerial skills, as history has shown, were pretty poor but he had charm and charisma and that carried the audience and also sustained his popularity throughout his term.
    Barack Obama is similar, I've heard Obama speak several times but I've yet to hear him say anything remotely interesting.

Yes didnt the people who listened to the nixon vs debate on tv say kennedy won whereas the people who listened to it on the radio say nixon won

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Actually, this is the first thing he did that made him look like a potential leader in my eyes. It's not populist, it makes sense to address an obvious problem in our system and it may hopefully lead to referendums on issues that can be less technical and more intelligible to the general public. Anyone who wants decisions on legalise being made by anyone but legal people need their heads checked tbh. More broadly speaking, I don't think any of the rabid "democrats" of the No to Lisbon campaign were going to be FG voters anyway.

Also meeting up with David Cameron yesterday was another mistake and shows how Fine Gael has always been in bed with the Tories which the majority of Irish people would not agree with come election time.

• Advertisement

Also meeting up with David Cameron yesterday was another mistake and shows how Fine Gael has always been in bed with the Tories which the majority of Irish people would not agree with come election time.
    He met the leader of a political party in another country?

The evil bastard.

Advertisement