Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney apologises for diving

• 26-11-2008 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

Taken from RTE

Wednesday, 26 November 2008 09:10

Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson revealed that Wayne Rooney had apologised for diving in an effort to win a penalty in last night's 0-0 Champions League draw with Villarreal.

The striker's action incensed the crowd but he escaped without a booking.
    Ferguson said: 'I think Wayne anticipated the challenge as he was expecting a penalty kick. It is unusual for him to do that. I have seen it and he has apologised to me.

However, Ferguson attempted to deflect the focus on Rooney by attacking former Arsenal midfielder Robert Pires. 'I think he has been watching Pires too much,' the United boss said.

'At least Wayne apologised to the Villarreal players. You would never see Pires do that,' he said.

Ferguson was at a loss to explain why United and Villarreal have played out four successive 0-0 draws, but at least both sides have the consolation of going through to the next stage of the competition.

'It is amazing in these four games we have not had a goal. I bet the public are hoping we do not meet in Rome,' Ferguson added.

'I do not know how that is because we are an attacking side and Villarreal have a great record themselves.
    'It is unusual for four games to end up 0-0. I thought we carried a bigger threat than them tonight. We had better opportunities in the match.
    'But we are satisfied we are into the next stage. That's want we wanted to achieve. We have an advantage over Villarreal now.

'We have a home game against Aalborg and they have to go to Celtic so hopefully we can win the group.'

So a man with Humility. Fair play to him.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Fair play to Rooney.

The attack on Pires is a little rich though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Who cares - the diving d***head, the guys a cheat - he will just go and do it again at the weekend anyways. Saying sorry doesnt make it alright or that he wont do it again - hes like a child that says sorry because he knows that his parents will forgive him easier this way.

Rooney has dived countless times this season, him Gerrard and Ronaldo should get together and sorry for diving - that would make it all ok.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

redout wrote: »
    'I think he has been watching Pires Ronaldo too much,' the United boss said.

'At least Wayne apologised to the Villarreal players. You would never see Pires Ronaldo do that,' he said.

Poor old Fergie, getting things mixed up in his old age. I fixed it for him

IBTL - and onyl 4 posts in. :rolleyes:

Fair play to him, shouldn't have done it in the first place but nice to see him come out and admit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Rooney told Fergie he was sorry.
    And Fergie told us.

Does that mean Fergie can be 100% certain that Pires never said sorry to Arsene and he didn't bother mentioning it? :p

I can guess Pires probably did never say sorry tbh. I'm just being pedantic.

Bit rich coming from someone with Ronaldo on their team...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

indeed - don't know why he had to go and mention Pires.

Frisbee wrote: »

Bit rich coming from someone with Ronaldo on their team...

to be fair, Ronaldo rolled around last night clearly looking to let the ref know it was a bad foul (which it was) but did u see his knee after?! He gets fouled a helluva lot to be fair. He also goes down easier than Coors light but its not all diving, that's all I'm saying.

Mitch/Tauren-i get the sense from you that you are a little disillusioned with Ferguson lately.

He's always disillusioned with SAF!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

to be fair, Ronaldo rolled around last night clearly looking to let the ref know it was a bad foul (which it was) but did u see his knee after?! He gets fouled a helluva lot to be fair. He also goes down easier than Coors light but its not all diving, that's all I'm saying.

Yeah he gets fouled a fair bit.
    But he also dives a fair bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

'I think Wayne anticipated the challenge as he was expecting a penalty kick.'

Quality euphemism :p

He's always disillusioned with SAF!

I do see a lot of reason to tbh, he aint the same man he was.

I was shocked to see yesterday that SAF really didnt want Ronaldo to play in the match, but Ronaldo decided he was.

Good to know who is calling the shots there now anyway.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Yeah he gets fouled a fair bit.
    But he also dives a fair bit.

Thats pretty much exactly what I said.
    Mr Alan wrote: »

I was shocked to see yesterday that SAF really didnt want Ronaldo to play in the match, but Ronaldo decided he was.

Yea but he's treated players like that dating right back to Cantona tbh.

i aint so sure Neil tbh.

See you had a point, but now you're venturing into the realm of silliness and conjecture.

Ferguson's quote:
    "That gives me a problem," admitted Sir Alex at his pre-match press conference from the team hotel in Valencia, where the Reds have set up base. "I'd rather leave him out, but he wants to play. Players that show that enthusiasm for playing football, you don’t deter it. You encourage it."

His dilemma is whether he should rest Ronaldo in case he gets injured, or else let him have another game so that he can get back into form.

Mitch/Tauren-i get the sense from you that you are a little disillusioned with Ferguson lately.

Yeah - i have been disappointed with him for a number of reasons - actions in the transfer market, treatment of Tevez, comments in the media (such as this latest example), appointment of Phelan, certain team selections - i just disagree with his approach to a lot of things, but then again, he did win the PL and CL last season (and I said a good few times last season we would never win the CL again with him in charge cause he had lost his bottle for the big euro games)

But, this is all another discussion entirely, and i'd end up coming out with some very controversial comments i think.

me wrote:
    SAF really didnt want Ronaldo to play in the match, but Ronaldo decided he was.
    SAF wrote:
    "That gives me a problem," admitted Sir Alex at his pre-match press conference from the team hotel in Valencia, where the Reds have set up base. "I'd rather leave him out, but he wants to play.

wats the issue?

i aint so sure Neil tbh.

He did the same with Rooney (after Rooney getting him a cup of tea!) and Anderson playing a couple of hours after returning from the olympics is another recent example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Better be none of that shite on Sunday :mad:

He did the same with Rooney (after Rooney getting him a cup of tea!) and Anderson playing a couple of hours after returning from the olympics is another recent example.

surely these are examples that back up my point about him not being the same bloke he was?

• Advertisement

wats the issue?

your inference that Ronaldo demanded he play and that fergie gave in to him. Based on Fergies comments, that is not the case. Fergie may feel Ronaldo could do with a little rest, but if Ronaldo feels fit and strong, and able to play (and says so) then Fergie has less reason to rest him.Its not like Fergie produced a team sheet without Ronaldo on it and Ronnie gave him 'the look'. Fergie trusts his players to know their own limits and how to keep themselves fit. He generally always has.

surely these are examples that back up my point about him not being the same bloke he was?

No - becuase Fergie has always trusted his players. He will drop them if he feels it will aid them and the team (see Rooney getting dropped this season and last) but if he only wants to rest them to give them a break, he would (and always has) taken the players opinion into account. If a player does not feel they need a break, then there is no reason to drop them for one. As he said, you should encourage the desire to play. If Fergie feels Ronaldo is running himself into the ground, he will rest him, but at the moment that is not the case.

your inference that Ronaldo demanded he play and that fergie gave in to him. Based on Fergies comments, that is not the case.
    SAF wrote:
    "That gives me a problem,"admitted Sir Alex at his pre-match press conference from the team hotel in Valencia, where the Reds have set up base. "I'd rather leave him out, but he wants to play."

emmm?

so Ferguson, the manager, wants him NOT to play.

Ronaldo, the player, wants to play.

Ronaldo plays the match, therefore, Ronaldo has gotten his way.

I just think Fergie of old would not put up with ****e from Ronaldo like the older Fergie does. He'd have been out on his ear after the summer, or at the minimum, groveling for forgiveness to the Utd fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Better be none of that shite on Sunday :mad:

Well if there is, I'm sure it'll be Pires' fault. :confused:

emmm?

fine, whatever, your star player wanting to play and being fit to play should not be taken into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You were shocked? :D

You sure your not trying to make a little angle for yourself to try and undermine Ferguson while demonising Ronaldo further?

Get over it FFS, it's not like Ronaldo burst into Fergies office and shouted "I'm playing Red Nose and thats that" - Where Ferguson quivered behind the desk and croaked "Yes Sir".

Mr Alan, why do you keep omitting the last part of the quote -- y'know, the part that backs up my point? :confused:

"That gives me a problem," admitted Sir Alex at his pre-match press conference from the team hotel in Valencia, where the Reds have set up base. "I'd rather leave him out, but he wants to play. Players that show that enthusiasm for playing football, you don’t deter it. You encourage it."

Ronaldo hasn't reached his form of last year yet, and anyone will tell you he hasn't been as sharp since coming back from the op. So if it's the case that he is enthusiastic about being on the pitch, then it's up to Ferguson to weigh up (a) the risk attached with him playing, and (b) the benefit of him playing a good game and getting back to form.

It's not like he's wheelchair bound and Ferguson is forced to wheel him out to the pitch. He was passed fit. He got a few kicks during the Villa match.

You're either reading too much into it or else trolling...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Boggles wrote: »
    Ronaldo burst into Fergies office and shouted "I'm playing Red Nose and thats that" - Where Ferguson quivered behind the desk and croaked "Yes Sir".

lol.

Dave! wrote: »
    Mr Alan, why do you keep omitting the last part of the quote -- y'know, the part that backs up my point? :confused:

Ronaldo hasn't reached his form of last year yet, and anyone will tell you he hasn't been as sharp since coming back from the op. So if it's the case that he is enthusiastic about being on the pitch, then it's up to Ferguson to weigh up (a) the risk attached with him playing, and (b) the benefit of him playing a good game and getting back to form.

It's not like he's wheelchair bound and Ferguson is forced to wheel him out to the pitch. He was passed fit. He got a few kicks during the Villa match.

You're either reading too much into it or else trolling...

i dont really find the last part that important tbh. why would it be? players always wanna play, this is not news to any of us. they dont like being rested and rotated. when a manager doesnt want them to play, its usually irrelevant wat the players want. i was suprised Ferguson, of all people, would bow to the whim of his star player-its not really something he has done in the past, think Beckham/Stam.

maybe i am reading into it too much though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Exclusive footage of a United training session -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

love to see john o shea try that one.

"your not starting today john"

"ah but i fancy an aul stretch of the legs just play me right back, that will do me"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

One of the great ads of our time imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

What are you talking about? There was nothing in that challenge. The stud mark gashes on his knee were clearly from him shaving his legs. Dunphy clearly got it right saying he dived to get the player sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

What are you talking about? There was nothing in that challenge. The stud mark gashes on his knee were clearly from him shaving his legs. Dunphy clearly got it right saying he dived to get the player sent off.

lol

It was a horrible tackle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Trilla wrote: »
    lol

It was a horrible tackle

it really was could have rightly ****ed up ronaldo's knee...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Dunphy's hatred of Ronaldo is getting dull.

I loved hearing the lads blame the diving of Rooney on the foreigners coming into the English game. I can see why Souness never made it as a manager - he espouses nothing but the tamest and weakest of football clichés and men like Dunphy are blinded by admiration of him because of his playing career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Dunphy's hatred of Ronaldo is getting dull.

He's a Cancer Bill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

It's getting dull.

Giles is a good lad, knows the game well, but he's been out of it for a long time and it shows.

Dunphy's the smartest panellist we have (other than maybe Houghton) but he gets these wonderful vendettas going, and maintains irrational viewpoints through thick and thin. I wonder if it's deliberate. Souness is so gormless at times you feel like giving a cup of tea and a blanket. I think the English game turns your brain into a rather viscuous jelly and allows you to communicate merely through means of cliché.

I mean, Wrighty and Shearer have the tactical nous of a cauliflower between them, and they're allowed express beliefs publically. Madness. ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

ah lads will you all stop. Dunphy the boys are not getting dull, they are on better form now than they ever have been. You want dull, watch any sort of football on bbc or sky, where they can't get stuck into anyone in the slightest way what so ever.

While I don't agree with everything they say, I take most of it with a pinch of salt, I still can't help but love it.

Dunphy's best line so far this season while tearing into Ronnie for a quite frankly shocking display: "This is show business Bill" - pointing at himself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

<snip>

I loved hearing the lads blame the diving of Rooney on the foreigners coming into the English game. I can see why Souness never made it as a manager - he espouses nothing but the tamest and weakest of football clichés and men like Dunphy are blinded by admiration of him because of his playing career.
    Really? Maybe you would like to expand on why his attitude prevents him being a good manager.

From what I seen of Souness last night, he was talking about when he played and what the manager would say to him.

I'd actually also agree with him in relation to his comments about the influence of foreign players on diving, it has been a factor, anybody who says different is delusional.

Rooneys diving was pathetic last night. It was cheating at the extreme, and I think that he should have been sent off for it.

As I have said before, duplicity amuses me, the fact that some Manu supporters will bleat on about Drogba and Gerrard, and yet not one has said that Rooney deserved to be sent off is hilarious.

Hobart wrote: »
    Really? Maybe you would like to expand on why his attitude prevents him being a good manager.

From what I seen of Souness last night, he was talking about when he played and what the manager would say to him.

I'd actually also agree with him in relation to his comments about the influence of foreign players on diving, it has been a factor, anybody who says different is delusional.

Rooneys diving was pathetic last night. It was cheating at the extreme, and I think that he should have been sent off for it.

As I have said before, duplicity amuses me, the fact that some Manu supporters will bleat on about Drogba and Gerrard, and yet not one has said that Rooney deserved to be sent off is hilarious.
    How many of us have defended him? 1? 2? None? None I think it is. Nice trolltastic genrelising though.

How many of us have defended him? 1? 2? None? None I think it is. Nice trolltastic genrelising though.
    Lol, where did I say that any any supporter defended him? Jump right on board your own bandwagon....:rolleyes:

"and yet not one have said he should have been sent off"

I agreed he should have be done for going down.

"and yet not one have said he should have been sent off"

I agreed he should have be done for going down.

Well well way to go to de-contextualise and mis-quote me. What I actually said, before you subjectively quoted me, no doubt in a mouth-foaming urgency so that your mind decoupled from your fingers, was that some Manu supporters will bleat on about Drogba and Gerrard, and yet not one has said that Rooney deserved to be sent off is hilarious.

I wasn't talking about you or most Manu supporters, only those who in one breath will give out about players like Gerrard and Drogba, and yet in the other will not say that Rooney deserved to go.

But hey, don't let me get in your way of blindly attacking anything that's put in front of you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

im actually liking the pires jibe ^^
    still proves that fergie just hates arsenal

I wasn't talking about you or most [Liverpool] supporters, only those who in one breath will give out about players like [Ronaldo] and [Rooney], and yet in the other will not say that [Gerrard] deserved to go.

I wasn't talking about you or most [Chelsea] supporters, only those who in one breath will give out about players like [Gerrard] and [Ronaldo], and yet in the other will not say that [Drogba] deserved to go.

See what I did there?

Wow what a revelation...

FOOTBALL FAN IN CRITICISING OTHER TEAM BUT NOT THEIR OWN SHOCKER!

Hold the press!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

I remember feeling a little disillusioned before when Queiroz left for Real.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Exclusive footage of a <insert team here>. training session -

Hilarious. That's been doing the rounds since WC 2006

Well well way to go to de-contextualise and mis-quote me. What I actually said, before you subjectively quoted me, no doubt in a mouth-foaming urgency so that your mind decoupled from your fingers, was that some Manu supporters will bleat on about Drogba and Gerrard, and yet not one has said that Rooney deserved to be sent off is hilarious.

I wasn't talking about you or most Manu supporters, only those who in one breath will give out about players like Gerrard and Drogba, and yet in the other will not say that Rooney deserved to go.

But hey, don't let me get in your way of blindly attacking anything that's put in front of you.

And the same goes for 'Pool fans defending Gerard and condemning Rooney....and it'll always be that way with rivals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement