Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone for a 12year old this xmas

• 26-11-2008 11:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been given the task on trying to get a phone for a 12year old girl for christmas. It'll be her first phone so it'll have to be good.

"Accidently" left the carphone warehouse book out on the table yesterday and this is what she loved http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/product.php/528/41/samsung_noire/05c31eb231648cd119457acbc3b2dbe7

Whats this phone like?

Unfortuntely its on Meteor (i've no problems with meteor - in fact thats my network provider) but all her family is on Vodafone and with Vodafones offer on free calls and texts to vodafone users it makes sence to get her a vodafone phone too.

Could the Meteor Samsung Noire phone be unlocked and used with a vodafone sim??? Would she be able to send and recieve picture messages with the phone (i.e would vodafone have settings for it seeing as they dont sell the phone as part of their range?)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

dlambirl wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been given the task on trying to get a phone for a 12year old girl for christmas. It'll be her first phone so it'll have to be good.

"Accidently" left the carphone warehouse book out on the table yesterday and this is what she loved http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/product.php/528/41/samsung_noire/05c31eb231648cd119457acbc3b2dbe7

Whats this phone like?

Unfortuntely its on Meteor (i've no problems with meteor - in fact thats my network provider) but all her family is on Vodafone and with Vodafones offer on free calls and texts to vodafone users it makes sence to get her a vodafone phone too.

Could the Meteor Samsung Noire phone be unlocked and used with a vodafone sim??? Would she be able to send and recieve picture messages with the phone (i.e would vodafone have settings for it seeing as they dont sell the phone as part of their range?)

Thanks in advance

this looks good for a 12 yo girl id say..its pink too, and on voda

https://www.vodafone.ie/df/shop/ProductDetails.shtml?handsetselected=100115&offerSelected=prepaynew&action=view

getting a phone on 1 network and unlocking it etc just is a lot of hassle..u will have no warranty once u unlock it and voda wont give u much support with any handset issues if its not theirs..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Consider the health issues around a minor using a cellular device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

She's been using her mam and dads phone for a while now.

Its not up to me to tell her if she can or cant have one - i'm just the one that was asked to get it for her.

cojomo2 wrote: »
    this looks good for a 12 yo girl id say..its pink too, and on voda

https://www.vodafone.ie/df/shop/ProductDetails.shtml?handsetselected=100115&offerSelected=prepaynew&action=view

getting a phone on 1 network and unlocking it etc just is a lot of hassle..u will have no warranty once u unlock it and voda wont give u much support with any handset issues if its not theirs..

Thanks, yeah i was looking at that one and I personally think it would be perfect but she totally went by it in the carphone warehouse book :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Sore finger from texting too much?? You got links??

The only thing I'd have against that phone and it's a matter of opinion but Samsungs aren't always the most user friendly to use especially if it's her first phone. Sony Ericsson and Nokia would both be considered to be easier menu systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

as she's 12, she'll just want to text, take pictures, play annoying ringtones, so the UI prob won't be a problem as she's young, first phone, she'll adapt lol,
    get the phone as a meteor upgrade for you, (free credit) , get the phone unlocked, give it to her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Gillo wrote: »
    Sore finger from texting too much?? You got links??

I don't know if that was an attempt at a smart question, but I was thinking more along the lines of:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/mobile-phone-use-raises-childrens-risk-of-brain-cancer-fivefold-937005.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

metalfest wrote: »
    as she's 12, she'll just want to text, take pictures, play annoying ringtones, so the UI prob won't be a problem as she's young, first phone, she'll adapt lol,
    get the phone as a meteor upgrade for you, (free credit) , get the phone unlocked, give it to her

Kids adapt to phones and the like very quickly. I wouldnt mind so much about that,

I know i could get it unlocked but will vodafone give me settings for MMS and WAP seeing as they dont stock the phones??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Kids adapt to phones and the like very quickly. I wouldnt mind so much about that,

I know i could get it unlocked but will vodafone give me settings for MMS and WAP seeing as they dont stock the phones??

I have them If you want them

• Advertisement

in short, yes.

in long, if you have WAP/MMS settings you can, send mms's and use wap, both which put money into vodafone's pocket :P

BTW, do what i said and get it as a payg upgrade for yourself(if you aren't payg you probably have a friend who is) and something like €80 free credit so it's snot too bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I don't know if that was an attempt at a smart question, but I was thinking more along the lines of:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/mobile-phone-use-raises-childrens-risk-of-brain-cancer-fivefold-937005.html

I've love a survey that surveys the amount of surveys that have said that phones cause cancer and that they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I'd 2nd the Nokia 5310- Very good phone, only 129 and has music speakers free too- she'll love the music speakers, and it is much better than both of the samsungs already mentioned:)

please, like, she won't care about the quality of the music players....
    OP, the phone SHE picked is a good choice, go with it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Have you nothing better to be doing with your time?

If mobiles where around when you where 12 i guarantee you would have wanted one!

in short, yes.

in long, if you have WAP/MMS settings you can, send mms's and use wap, both which put money into vodafone's pocket :P

BTW, do what i said and get it as a payg upgrade for yourself(if you aren't payg you probably have a friend who is) and something like €80 free credit so it's snot too bad

metalfest - thats what i was thinking of doing. Getting the samsung noire as PAYG upgrade and unlock it and then get the vodafone settings but i didnt know if that could be done seeing as vodafone dont do the phone....
    please, like, she won't care about the quality of the music players....
    OP, the phone SHE picked is a good choice, go with it :)

no, she wont care about music players, she already has a cd player and an mp3 player so if she wants to listen to music she can listen to those!

Does anyone have an email address for vodafone so i can just ask them will they give me the settings before i go out and buy the phone. I've tried looking on the vodafone website but it keeps telling me i've to sign in but i'm not a vodafone customer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Craig-S

I looked at all the post and it seems like she only want to text take pictures and play ringtones and this phone came to mind, dunno why it hasnt been mentioned.

https://www.vodafone.ie/df/shop/ProductDetails.shtml?handsetselected=100163&offerSelected=prepaynew&action=view

I'd recommend you show her the list of phones first and let her pick.

Craig-S wrote: »
    I looked at all the post and it seems like she only want to text take pictures and play ringtones and this phone came to mind, dunno why it hasnt been mentioned.

https://www.vodafone.ie/df/shop/ProductDetails.shtml?handsetselected=100163&offerSelected=prepaynew&action=view

I'd recommend you show her the list of phones first and let her pick.

I have shown her the Carphone warehouse book and she picked the noire. but unfortuntely its not on Vodafone.

Do Vodafone publish a book of its phones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Craig-S

I have shown her the Carphone warehouse book and she picked the noire. but unfortuntely its not on Vodafone.

Do Vodafone publish a book of its phones?

I dont think so .

you should just get her to look at the vodafone site and pick one out.

https://www.vodafone.ie/df/prepay/new/index.jsp?manufacturerSelected=ALL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I've been with Meteor since 2006 and I've never asked for an unlocking code. Since they introduced the Phone a Friend for free promotion i've only been spending €20 a month.

Jesus this is getting very complicated now. Why cant she just pick a vodafone phone!! I cant get her to sit down at the computer and "pick" a phone as such cos its gonna be a christmas present

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Wasn't meant as a smart question, curious to know if there is a body of evidence either for or against what you were saying.

ok, OP...here's what you do, step by step,
    1:walk into meteor.
    2:buy the phone as an upgrade.
    3:register it under your name with meteor.
    4:Go to a shop that will unlock phones.
    5:unlock the phone.
    6:wrap the phone with a pretty bow on top
    7: Christmas day and who got the best present? :P

alternative to step 4 :buy an unlock code online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

but they more than likely won't give it to him until the handset has been in use for 90days

Yeah it seems that what i'm gonna do if i decide to get the noire.

Although I'm starting to toy with the idea to get a Vodafone PAYG phone that she hasnt picked and just give it to her to save the hassel cos it'l be a disaster if Vodafone dont have or wont give me the settings for WAP and MMS

Yeah it seems that what i'm gonna do if i decide to get the noire.

Although I'm starting to toy with the idea to get a Vodafone PAYG phone that she hasnt picked and just give it to her to save the hassel cos it'l be a disaster if Vodafone dont have or wont give me the settings for WAP and MMS

just go into a voda store, tell them you are buying a sim free phone as a present for sm1, and ask them straight out, can the phone be used with voda with full functionality? they will tell u.

Just remember if u get it unlocked and there is any problem with the handset you have no warranty, even if meteor unlock it for you..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Just remember if u get it unlocked and there is any problem with the handset you have no warranty, even if meteor unlock it for you..

Why would that be? The manufacturer has to warrant the phone for normal use and receiving a manufacturers unlocking code through Meteor is surely normal.

The OP could seek out an unlocked version of this phone from Expansys, Pixmania or the like, it will just cost more, but will not have any warranty issues and will be a lot simpler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

just to clear up some misinformation on this thread

1 "walk into meteor" ..you cant, phone is only available at cpw.
    2. "buy it yourself and get free upgrade credit" no such thing as free credit anymore, you must top up by 20 a month to get it.
    3. "get it unlocked and put the vodafone settings on it" possible, but as its a new handset/cpw exclusive, codes may not be easily got, at least straight away. this will be a problem if you want it unlocked for xmas
    4. "unlocking voids warranty" technically true, and if you do unlock it and a fault develops and you bring it back....the shop may not help you. i personally dont care if an unlocked faulty phone comes back to me, i'll log it for repair regardless, but you do run the risk of the repair company locking it again when they fix it, which means you have to go to the hassle of unlocking it again....which sometimes cant be done.

my advice? buy it on meteor and keep it on meteor....save yourself from tears in the long run.

• Advertisement

ardmacha wrote: »
    Why would that be? The manufacturer has to warrant the phone for normal use and receiving a manufacturers unlocking code through Meteor is surely normal.

The OP could seek out an unlocked version of this phone from Expansys, Pixmania or the like, it will just cost more, but will not have any warranty issues and will be a lot simpler.

well what i mean is that meteor wont offer any support if there is a prob with it..they will tell you to take it up with the manufacturer directly as they take no resposibility once the phone is unlocked..

Advertisement