Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone for a 12year old this xmas

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Eoin087

Are you 100% on that? I had a k800i unlocked by vodafone and it was repaired twice by them under warranty, just speaking from my experience. Don't see why it would be any different with meteor. Anybody got any experience with this from meteor??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

just to clear up some misinformation on this thread

1 "walk into meteor" ..you cant, phone is only available at cpw.
    2. "buy it yourself and get free upgrade credit" no such thing as free credit anymore, you must top up by 20 a month to get it.
    3. "get it unlocked and put the vodafone settings on it" possible, but as its a new handset/cpw exclusive, codes may not be easily got, at least straight away. this will be a problem if you want it unlocked for xmas
    4. "unlocking voids warranty" technically true, and if you do unlock it and a fault develops and you bring it back....the shop may not help you. i personally dont care if an unlocked faulty phone comes back to me, i'll log it for repair regardless, but you do run the risk of the repair company locking it again when they fix it, which means you have to go to the hassle of unlocking it again....which sometimes cant be done.

my advice? buy it on meteor and keep it on meteor....save yourself from tears in the long run.

Thanks. I was kinda thinking that getting vodafone settings would be a hassel so its either gonna be get that Samsung Noire and keep it on meteor (even though her whole family is on Vodafone - Free Calls and Texts) or get a phone from Vodafone (possibly that pink samsung slider)

Which sounds like a better idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Craig-S

dlambirl wrote: »
    Thanks. I was kinda thinking that getting vodafone settings would be a hassel so its either gonna be get that Samsung Noire and keep it on meteor (even though her whole family is on Vodafone - Free Calls and Texts) or get a phone from Vodafone (possibly that pink samsung slider)

Which sounds like a better idea?

go with the phone from vodafone but show her first to clear it by her and if she goes for the noire

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106942

thats what you need for the wap settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

i still say unlock the phone..

metalfest wrote: »
    i still say unlock the phone..

He wont get the phone unlocked unless he spends €120 credit on the sim though.

• Advertisement

ok,
    but if he gets it a an upgrade for himself....he , when tops up by 20euro each month will be getting himself credit,
    they might unlock it for you, ring CC and ask if you buy an upgrade will they supply unlock code, say you have a work sim card too, so you need it unlocked or something

metalfest wrote: »
    ok,
    but if he gets it a an upgrade for himself....he , when tops up by 20euro each month will be getting himself credit,
    they might unlock it for you, ring CC and ask if you buy an upgrade will they supply unlock code, say you have a work sim card too, so you need it unlocked or something

ya and i forgot some places acually unlock phones for you so check in town :)

or if he's willing to be difficult get a turbosim

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭frecklier

I always go for Nokia, purely because no matter where you are, someone usually has a Nokia charger. Are 12 year olds good at remembering to charge their phones? Actually, they probably are!

Craig-S wrote: »
    go with the phone from vodafone but show her first to clear it by her and if she goes for the noire

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106942

thats what you need for the wap settings.

I cant really run it by her as its a surprise christmas present

I dunno which is better to get her-
    Vodafone - Free Calls and Texts to Vodafone users (all her family are vodafone)
    Meteor - free texts to all networks

• Advertisement

or meteor, (get the phone unlocked)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

wellk im with 3, and last week i sold my mate my old phone but he is on meteor..i rang 3 to ask them to unlock it..cost 25 quid and they tell you they are no longer responsible for the handset in any way once the unlocking code is supplied...they said if anything goes wrong i have to take it up the the manufacture directly or a 3rd party repair place at my own cost..

i assumed this was a standard thing with all networks i stand corrected if im wrong

that's basically it.
    but if the OP buys the phone as a payg upgrade,
    he/she will most likely top up by 20e a month and get all the free credit,
    and c'mon like, most of the time networks are very reluctant to repair phones free.
    as the girl is 12, the odds are it won't be broken, if anything it will be lost or stolen

I've printed off the phones from the vodafone website (and disregarded the last few pages cos i'm not getting her a tocco or n95!) and i'l see if she takes a fancy to any of them.

If she does.....good

If she doesnt....i'l either have to get her the samsung noire on meteor and unlock it or get the samsung noire and keep it on meteor.

Havent decided yet which would be the better option

getting it unlocked would be better...

maybe show her and say oh i'm thinking of moving to vodafone and gettting a new phone as a present to myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Just get her the phone she wants. She is 12yrs old and appearance is everything. No point in letting her down and getting her a phone knowing there is another one available she wants. When her friends get phones they will probably be on meteor as that is the network choice of the young and the free meteor texts to every network will work cheaper then, than the free vodafone calls and texts. She is 12 so will probably not call anyone so it makes no difference what network her family are on as she will have free texts to every network on meteor......and the phone she is looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Walkman wrote: »
    Just get her the phone she wants. She is 12yrs old and appearance is everything. No point in letting her down and getting her a phone knowing there is another one available she wants. When her friends get phones they will probably be on meteor as that is the network choice of the young and the free meteor texts to every network will work cheaper then, than the free vodafone calls and texts. She is 12 so will probably not call anyone so it makes no difference what network her family are on as she will have free texts to every network on meteor......and the phone she is looking for.

Maybe I'm wrong but do you not know that vodafone do free texts to any network? I think you should get her the phone she wants, get an upgrade pack and a sim pack, then that way if she wants to be on vodafone she can get it unlocked straight away under your number...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Ah Watch your totally correct. Ya get her the phone and if she wants get the phone unlocked. I wouldnt imagine internet or mms would be that important.

putting voda's settings on the meteor phone won't be difficult...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

agree 100%. My 12 year old NEVER EVER calls anyone. Its all about text so get the best text deal you can. And image IS everything to a 12 year old so if she's picked a phone out its not on a whim - she's tought about it.
    Walkman wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

Couldn't you just buy it on meteor and port the number to vodafone?

e.g. https://www.vodafone.ie/df/simonly/ (specifically, the Prepay SIM Pack: Switch to Vodafone)

phone prob WILL be locked to meteor...
    turbosim?

Advertisement