Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sale Agreed + Engineer

Options
  • 26-11-2008 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We are in the fortunate position of having our house "sale agreed".

The buyer's engineer is due to visit. For the most part, I would expect it to go smoothly, though there are a couple of minor things, which I'm wondering might cause issues.
    We had a leak from our shower a few years ago, and if one looks closely at the ceilings in the sitting room, a bit of uneveness can be seen, - but its really not that noticeable unless viewed closely, and there is no dampness whatsoever. I'm wondering if this could cause a fuss and whether I should get it seen to? Or is it something the engineer is not likely to be too worried about. I reckon it would not be too uncommon anyway.

Also, one of the radiators doesn't heat up fully, - it has never really bothered us as the house is generally pretty warm anyway. I'm wondering is it best to just get a plumber in to take a look. My only reluctance is the hassle factor, - I've had bad experiences with plumbers in the past (ie. taking time off work and plumber not turning up, bizarrely not returning calls etc. and then damaging the carpet when they did turn up......that's another story though)

Or, does the engineer just tend to look at structural things?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

I woudnt really worry about it. if the worst comes to the worst. tell them you will discount x from the asking price to allow for the repairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Not being a smartass, but have you bled the radiator?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭LillyVanilli

I wouldnt worry about it either. If they ask about the ceiling, tell you had a leak but its fixed and youve had no problems since. Im not much of a plumber but the radiator probably only needs to be bled, simple job.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

rockbeer wrote: »
    Not being a smartass, but have you bled the radiator?
    Yeah, no luck unfortunately. It does get hot on top and still manages to warm the room. As I say, heat tends to come in from the rest of the house anyway so we haven't worried about it in the past.
    Does the engineer typically check all the rads?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Make sure both valves are open into and out of the rad. Moving into a house recently, I was told that the radiator had a problem, bled it etc. with no luck, and then just opened the inlet valve and all was dandy :)

Being winter, they probably will be given a quick check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

astrofool wrote: »
    Make sure both valves are open into and out of the rad. Moving into a house recently, I was told that the radiator had a problem, bled it etc. with no luck, and then just opened the inlet valve and all was dandy :)

Being winter, they probably will be given a quick check.

The valves are actually thermostatic valves, so there's no access to the inlet valve unfortunately (ie. inlet valve is controlled by the thermostat). If anything, looks like there may be some sludge or something in the radiator and might need to be flushed ( i'm just basing this on a bit of googling )
    Hopefully if it does show up with the engineer, it won't cause too much of a problem.
    As I say, it's actually no big deal really in practice, it's just that it has the potential to cause a bit of complication.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ravendude wrote: »
    We had a leak from our shower a few years ago, and if one looks closely at the ceilings in the sitting room, a bit of uneveness can be seen, - but its really not that noticeable unless viewed closely, and there is no dampness whatsoever. I'm wondering if this could cause a fuss and whether I should get it seen to?
    Touch that ceiling and they'll knock at least €5,000 off the offer price.

Houses have issues now and again, this is understandable. However, hiding a problem makes people wonder what else is wrong.

Advertisement