Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merck, Sharp & Dohme Site

Options
  • 26-11-2008 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where MSD's Carlow site is? Its the IDA Business & Technology Park - is this on the Dublin Road, on the left at the last roundabout after you leave Carlow?

Has anyone heard an update of the start date, a quick google came up with a few reports of 'by 2011'

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

And what exactly is that you speak of?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

@ IAMXAVIER: new pharmaceutical company moving to carlow

@OP: Yeah that business park in on the left on the way out of carlow. Haven't heard of a date yet though.
    Merck Sharp & Dohme Biologics (Ireland) Ltd. is a subsidiary of Merck & Co. Inc., New Jersey, USA, one of the leading healthcare companies in the world. The company is investing €200 million in a new strategic vaccine facility in Carlow town.

The investment was announced by Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment Micheál Martin TD on Tuesday 27th November 2007. The project will support Merck’s expanding global business in human vaccines and biologics and will create 170 new high quality jobs by 2011. It will employ a highly skilled and technically sophisticated workforce across all areas of management, quality control, production, engineering, R&D and administration.

The new Carlow facility, which will be the first stand-alone human vaccine project in Ireland, will involve a formulation and sterile filling operation and an R&D team to support a number of recently launched vaccines and new products in the future.

“This investment is a further very strong commitment to Ireland by Merck which already has substantial and successful operations in Ireland. I was very pleased a year ago to announce that the company was investing in a new Formulation R&D and manufacturing facility at its manufacturing plant in South Tipperary and I'm delighted to see that construction on this project commenced last month. This latest investment represents a very significant consolidation of Ireland’s high profile position as a successful location for substantial biotechnology global investments,” added Minister Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Yes they have taken over the "empty" IDA Business and Technology (less) park on the Dublin road opposite Darcys Furniture.
    Work has started on it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

It's already started?

There's MSD employees working there whilst the main building is being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭granturismo

ClioV6 wrote: »
    There's MSD employees working there whilst the main building is being built.

MSD have just advertised their second batch of senior 4 management jobs for the Carlow site - at least thats the second lot I've seen on the MSD website, so some good news for Carlow and the SE. 100+ potential jobs, not going to save the region but its better than 100 job losses and it seems like a viable project.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Nice, that site was idle for years. Lets hope it fills up pretty soon :)

Nice, that site was idle for years. Lets hope it fills up pretty soon :)

MSD own the entire site. So there ya go..filled up already :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

ClioV6 wrote: »
    MSD own the entire site. So there ya go..filled up already :P

I thought Unum were going in there too?

ShayK1 wrote: »
    I thought Unum were going in there too?

I doubt that very much.

The entire site is being worked on at the moment and there's no sign of anything from Unum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Jim K

Unum are not going in there. They are supposed to be going in onto the site nearer the garage at Braun.

• Advertisement
Advertisement