Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POLYTUNNELS!!!

Options
  • 26-11-2008 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

hiya i'm based in cork county and am looking to buy a polytunnel, maybe in the region of 4.5-5.5m/12-18m. Does anyone have any advice on where's good value in the south or does anyone have one they want to sell!? Any extra advice on polytunnels would be great too it's our first time buying one and it's a business investment for us so really want to get good value and quality for our money!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭rathbaner

The MOST important thing is that you pick your spot now, running north-south with no shade, near to a water source and heavily manure the ground and cover with 1000 gauge black plastic. Leave the lot to rot down till your ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

great thanks a million for that! Another thing i was wondering about is that we have 3/4 of an acre for growing on next spring with the hope of starting doing a small box scheme for our neighbours and maybe the odd farmers market, we have had as much manure as we need promised to us from our neighbour and the offer to plough the lot for us. we want to get it ploughed and manured and covered with the strips of black plastic that are the right width for a bed already that commercial veg growers use, any ideas where we could get such a small amount (enough for the 3/4 acre) at a good price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Polytunnel bible is Gardening Under Plastic by Bernard Salt ISBN: 0713484489, unfortunately out of print so difficult to get hold of, but I bought a copy from a company called eco-logicbooks.com earlier this year. Contact details are on the website and they are based in Bath, UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

thanks a million minder great tip there will check it out!

Advertisement