Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Bord "Snip"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

mikekerry wrote: »
    I used work in the civil service, the waste of taxpayers money was a disgrace.
    people were basically told spend their budgets for the year as if they didn't spend them they wouldn't get the same budget the following year!
    no forward planning as we can see from the:
    -luas(built but not connected together!)
    -bus "service" in dublin
    -m50 etc etc
    and the ex fas boss is getting 500k severerance, thats some punishment!
    it really is a comedy show, the muppet show.

It's wrong to blame the civil service for everything that is wrong in public administration.

Yes, there has been a problem with the way budgets have been set, leading to the practice of spending to use up the budget, even if some of that spending was not really necessary. I would say the fault for that should be shared between the Department of Finance and the political establishment.

The problems with transport in Dublin are more the fault of politicians than of public servants: the luas routes were decided by the cabinet; the conversion of the M50 from a ring road to a shopping strip was mainly the doing of members of local authorities; providing a good bus service in Dublin should be the task of Bus Atha Cliath, but the political establishment consistently favours car users, leading to the gridlock that frustrates everybody (and people are now complaining about the token effort made in the budget to charge for city centre employee parking).

Rody Molloy's "severance package" is simply the pension package that he had subscribed to during his years of employment, not a special inducement to resign.

Yes, there is much wrong with the public finances, and there is waste. Some of that waste is probably the fault of some public servants. But much of the waste is the result of bad political decisions, and more of it is simply the result of poor systems for deciding priorities.

It is reasonable to discuss what is wrong, and how things might be improved. But if you go in swinging an axe wildly, you risk chopping off the wrong heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mikekerry

I myself was the victim of an axe that was swung widely a couple of months back! Unfortunately I didn't manage to avoid it!
    As i wasn't permament I was let go from one of the civil service offices.
    I'm not blaming the civil servce, the orders come from the goverment so I agree with you on most points.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

mikekerry wrote: »
    I myself was the victim of an axe that was swung widely a couple of months back! Unfortunately I didn't manage to avoid it!

Sorry about your bad luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭BlackandGold

Who IS on the board:

Membership of the Taskforce
    Dermot McCarthy, Secretary General, Department of the Taoiseach (Chair)
    Lionel Alexander, Vice-President & General Manager of Hewlett Packard (Manufacturing) Ltd and Chair of Enterprise Feedback Group
    Professor Don Barry, President, University of Limerick
    Dr Hugh Brady, President, University College Dublin
    Damien Callaghan, Investment Director, Intel Capital
    Michael Carmody, President, Institute of Technology Tralee
    Dr Steven Collins, Co-Founder & CTO Kore Virtual Machines
    Ned Costello, CEO, Irish Universities Association
    Joe Harford, Chair of High Level Action Group on Green
    Enterprise
    Dr John Hegarty, Provost, Trinity College Dublin
    Dr Chris Horn, Co-founder & former CEO Iona Technologies
    Dr Brian Kelly, Founder & CEO, Celtic Catalysts
    Dr Burton Lee, Director, European Entrepreneurship and Innovation Programme, Stanford University, School of Engineering, Managing Partner Innovarium Ventures
    John Lynch, CEO, Merrion Pharmaceuticals
    Tara MacMahon, IP Lawyer
    Dan MacSweeney, CEO, Carbery
    Bryan Mohally, Vice-President Supply Chain Operations Europe, Johnson and Johnson
    Mark O'Donovan, Director, Raglan Capital
    Barry O'Sullivan, Senior Vice President, Cisco Systems
    Dr Paul Roben, President, Celtic Consulting
    Anna Scally, Partner, KPMG
    The Taskforce will also include the Heads of Enterprise Ireland, IDA Ireland, Science Foundation Ireland, the Higher Education Authority and representatives from the Departments of Education and Science, Enterprise,
    Trade and Employment, and Finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Harolds+

Emm have we missed something.

The Bankers have caused this mayhem and know they go after the people who never caused this mess.

Granted, there is a lot of fat in the public and civil service that needs to be cut but why are they going after everyone in this group ? Especially the ones who are the most vulnerable.

Oh wait, revenge for the people in the private sector who lost their jobs. An eye for eye and all that sh1te.

Sorry, did I mention big bankers who walk the streets with no care in the world:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement