Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need to shift car privately quickly

Options
  • 26-11-2008 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4 GemStar

Ive just moved North of the border and have seen a great deal on an '06 golf which means getting rid of my old '04 polo (basic of the basic 1.2 E55) down south, and fast. Ive looked on carzone and cbg and the prices fluctuate wildly even for the same spec/year between dealers so finding a price range to undercut is proving difficult.

I think I know the answer but...are private sales as slow as dealer sales are now? I cant afford to get the golf without offloading the polo but at the same time cant 'give' the polo away either. I also doubt a dealer up here would take a southern reg as a trade in :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sell privately
    Go back to carzone and find the highest price and lowest.
    Put yours in the bottom third, maybe even the bottom 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The price to "cut" is the lowest "non scam" price on carzone for a similarly aged polo. No one sells cars easily these days if they're not prepared to take some sort of hit on the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 GemStar

Thanks for the replies. I'm not looking to make any money on it, just need to get rid of it fairly quickly for a reasonable enough price. I'm happy to undercut the other 'non scam' prices on carzone/cbg.

what price are you hoping to get?

always a good start, even if its not comparable to market prices

what price are you hoping to get?

always a good start, even if its not comparable to market prices

Over 6k ideally....edging toward 7k if possible. That said I need to shift it quick so if the lower end is all I can get I'd be happy enough.

• Advertisement

in comparison to cars already there, you sound like you'd be ok.

Put it on at ~ €6,750.

The oul A4 "For Sale " page on the window trick works wonders too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

GemStar wrote: »
    Over 6k ideally....edging toward 7k if possible. That said I need to shift it quick so if the lower end is all I can get I'd be happy enough.

I know this is how much they are and I think your price is a good price.

But doesn't this post demonstrate how ****ed up the market is?
    You have to shift your car at the lowest end of the scale if necessary because you can't miss out on what can be had over the border. And that car is a 5 year old Polo and the low end of the scale is 6-7k.

Just makes me think that the whole car market collapse is homemade, just what happens eventually when you keep a market superficially high because you need to cream off it to solve your taxation problem. Now the ****up is beyond the beyonds.

realcam wrote: »
    I know this is how much they are and I think your price is a good price.

But doesn't this post demonstrate how ****ed up the market is?
    You have to shift your car at the lowest end of the scale if necessary because you can't miss out on what can be had over the border. And that car is a 5 year old Polo and the low end of the scale is 6-7k.

Just makes me think that the whole car market collapse is homemade, just what happens eventually when you keep a market superficially high because you need to cream off it to solve your taxation problem. Now the ****up is beyond the beyonds.

The golf is going for the equivalent of €8k with only 22k on the clock, froma VW dealer with 12 months roadside and all the usual jazz. It makes the quick sale (and price drop) of the polo a bit easier to swallow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

GemStar wrote: »
    The golf is going for the equivalent of €8k with only 22k on the clock, froma VW dealer with 12 months roadside and all the usual jazz. It makes the quick sale (and price drop) of the polo a bit easier to swallow!

I know, makes perfect sense. Thinking of doing something very similar.

Advertisement