Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where will I buy a house?

• 26-11-2008 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Well it looks like a move to Limerick on a permanent basis is definitely on the cards. I have been looking at random houses and am none the wiser about where to live. I have spoken to work colleagues and have a few suggestions on areas such as Ennis Road, Corbally, Castletroy. I have been renting in the City but hopefully will be in a position to buy when I move.

I am looking for a minimum 3 bed house and the budget would stretch up to 500k – but for that price it would need to be in walk in condition. I want a decent sized garden and somewhere to park the car. My preference would be for an older house rather than a modern build. Location wise it cannot be too far from the city, and preferably on a bus route to town. Any suggestions??

Cheers,
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Lovely area, plenty space for a car, good size gaff, well under budget..

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?search=Search+%BB&s[cc_id]=ct5&s[a_id][0]=4057&s[mnb]=&s[mxb]=&s[mnp]=&s[mxp]=&s[pt_id]=&s[house_type]=&s[sqmn]=&s[sqmx]=&s[mna]=&s[mxa]=&s[search_type]=sale&s[transport]=&s[advanced]=&s[price_per_room]=&s[furn]=&s[refreshmap]=1&offset=10&limit=10&id=292473

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

Try Ferndale on the Ennis Road. They are about 15-20 years old. 3-4 bedrooms with parking and its a cul de sac so it's quiet enough. The garden size depends on the particular house really but there is a large green area in the estate.

It's on the coonagh bus route to town and walking distance to the caherdavin bus route which would be more frequent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

thewing wrote: »

I had a look at that one - really nice and good price too. Moving from Dublin everything is cheap!

Azphyxi8 wrote: »
    Try Ferndale on the Ennis Road. They are about 15-20 years old. 3-4 bedrooms with parking and its a cul de sac so it's quiet enough. The garden size depends on the particular house really but there is a large green area in the estate.

It's on the coonagh bus route to town and walking distance to the caherdavin bus route which would be more frequent.

Hi,

Do you know anything about http://www.ferndale.ie/

Is this a new developement in an older area?

Thanks,
    Tom

Do you know of any good sites where I can get info on schools in the area? The last thing I want is to be a parent-taxi because everythng is too far or not on a bus route!

• Advertisement

Where you gonna be working?

Ferndale is in Newcastle West, Co. Limerick - miles outside the city.

Place on the link is in a nice part of town, about 5 min drive. Close to good school, bus routes etc.

PM me if you want the lowdown.

Where you gonna be working?

Ferndale is in Newcastle West, Co. Limerick - miles outside the city.

Place on the link is in a nice part of town, about 5 min drive. Close to good school, bus routes etc.

PM me if you want the lowdown.

One of us will be Shannon the other is yet to get a job but will more than likely work in Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

The Ferndale i was refferring to is on the Ennis Road, behind the Greenhills Hotel. perfet for commuting to Shannon.

here is a house I found that is there: http://www.property.ie/property-for-sale/1-Ferndale-Ennis-Road-Caherdavin-Co-Limerick/387344/

I know that this one is sold but it might give you an idea.

Sorry azphyx18 - was referring to link that OP posted

Yeah, ferndale is beside new Tesco....

If I was choosing between the 2, i'd go Ashbrook hands down given the budget.

Perfect for getting to shannon, close to schools and closer to town.

Just my two cents.

What's Fr Russell Road lile - it is described as Raheen or Dooradoyle depending on what house you are looking at!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Its all dooradoyle as far as I am concerned, other side of the city but close to Dock road for trips to shannon.

And Fr Russell Rd, is nice area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

What's Fr Russell Road lile - it is described as Raheen or Dooradoyle depending on what house you are looking at!!

all the same really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭rstans

Fr Russel Road might be a bit of a nightmare for commuting to Shannon. Traffic on Dock Road very heavy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

fr. russell rd would be perfect for you except traffic is heavy on dock rd, nice area, crescent nearby few bars/restaurants, buses for schools etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

Have you decided that you want to live in the city or one of the villages on the outskirts, like Parteen, Meelick or Cratloe?, all around 20-30 mins from Shannon and about 10 minutes from the city.

If you want to live in the city and one of you will be commuting to Shannon then I'd go for NCRd, Ennis Rd (could have traffic noise), Fort Mary Park, or Ashbrook all are well within walking distance of city centre and either on or close to bus routes.

Meelick is a dump and Cratloe is too expensive and i aint sure about Parteen, never heard anything bad about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

To be honest €500k in today's property market will get you a very decent house in the Mid West region. There is good value at the moment with the way the property market has taken a dive.

If I was spending that kind of money tomorrow I would not be looking at anything in the city or nearby estates in the suberbs. I would be looking at a little further out of the city, a nice size house on a half or full acre surrounded by a nice view, not my neighbours's back garden.

Working in Shannon though limits where you can live with reasonable commuter distance but take into account that the Shannon Tunnel will be open in less than 2 years so traffic should not be too bad from one side of the city to the other, in theory, once this route opens.

Maybe someplace like Castleconnell or Killaloo might be an option, it is possible to get to Shannon from there while avoiding the city.

Just my 2c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

if you got 500k to spend try for something a little more coutry/rural.all the housing estates like raheen and dooradoyle starting to get a bit scummy in the newer estates with people renting/hse families/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

somewhere in newtown annacotty, cant recommend it enough. Glenside Is great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Ashbrook is a nice area and plenty of kids, private and public schools in walking distance, 25/30 minute walk to town, bus every 20 minutes (supposedly)

Clonmacken - nice area but no busses yet (there's a comprehensive expansion of the bus service due within 3/4 years), perfect for Shannon.
    www.daft.ie/1419773

Union Cross - 10 minute walk to city centre (walking slowly). Unlikely to get walk in conditions but there's enough leftover to do the work
    www.daft.ie/1418923

Faranshone - As above only closer to town.
    www.daft.ie/1407509

Westfields - An address on the NCR will carry a price tag and this one is Offers invited but on at €530k
    www.daft.ie/1407509

Lansdowne Park - Nice area, just beyond Union Cross. This house is around the corner from where I live and comes with some on road parking issues (i.e a lot of business related parking from business people based in the area...nothing that you wouldn't get used to)
    www.daft.ie/1388453

Shelbourne Park - on the same road where I live. There are currently 3 houses for sale, but haven't been any for 5-6 years, at the asking price it does need a nice bit of work and modernisation but is good value for the property it is. The family are more concerned that it goes to a good buyer who won't cause hassle to the neighbours than with the price, hence it's not expensive, but has been on the market for a while.
    http://www.sherryfitzgerald.ie/resi/buy/propertydetail.aspx?id=264711&ST=1&pc=1

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    Have you decided that you want to live in the city or one of the villages on the outskirts, like Parteen, Meelick or Cratloe?, all around 20-30 mins from Shannon and about 10 minutes from the city.

If you want to live in the city and one of you will be commuting to Shannon then I'd go for NCRd, Ennis Rd (could have traffic noise), Fort Mary Park, or Ashbrook all are well within walking distance of city centre and either on or close to bus routes.

I got a map yesterday showing the city area & Ennis Rd/North Circular looks good. I also think that Raheen.Fr Russell Rd could be good for Shannon once the tunnel under the river is complete. Ideally i would like to be able to bus it tl Limerick & not be in the middle of nowhere! The Shannon commute will be mainly off peak so traffic shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Cheers ninety9er - looks to look at here!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The danger in any of these places is that the HSE will buy and house "undesirables" in the area. Look at what happened in Kilteragh, which was regarded as a decent enough area up to recently.

I'd genuinely contact the authorities, try and establish what criteria the HSE use to buy properties, and then buy somewhere that doesn't fit. Avoid social housing too.

Sounds like snobbery and elitism, but buying the wrong house in the wrong area is an awful error.

Rumours abound that some finished estates will sell all their remaining stock as a job lot, and at undervalue to the HSE.

this is why I would be more inclined to buy in an older more established area. If a house is availabe under budget that needs work, that's no problem. I'm not afraid of DIY! We just could not afford 500k + renovations.

I've lived in a old house all my life & much prefer the solid walls & character to a modern house. I know walls will be crooked and floors squeaky but it ads to the character!

Regarding social/affordable housing - no where is safe! Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown concil recently announced they are to spend €10 million on 37 apts in 'The Grange' in Stillorgan for social housing purposes. The apartments were being sold at 2005 prices of €525,000. The council will only have to come up with €277,240 per unit. This is on top of the 38 affordable housing units already purchased.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/property/2008/1113/1226408579412.html

These apartments are 5* with luxury fitting, concierge service & management fee of approx 3k per anum. I pitty those who bought in 2005

Jesus thats unbelievable tomcollins!! Would hate to be living there now! A lot of undesirables have made **** of good neighbourhoods in the past two years, social housing HSE and the like! Its incredible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I would definetly recommend living in Clonmacken.

Its a great area with nice neighbours. Your only 20 min walk into the city centre and your about a 5 min walk to two different bus routes.

Also you will be near the dual carriage way heading to Shannon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

http://www.property.ie/new-homes/Churchfields-Clonlara-Co-Clare/6808/

5 bedroom detached house in a nice village - 5 min walk to pub, school etc.
    Driving distance of everywhere

€315k - I live here and love it, but paid €365k for the same house a year or so ago

Thats well far away from shannon Keith not to mention traffic

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Thats well far away from shannon Keith not to mention traffic

Not impossible though by any means. You could easily loop around the north of Limerick, without even encountering city traffic. Clonlara - Sixmilebridge etc.

• Advertisement

keith_d99 wrote: »
    http://www.property.ie/new-homes/Churchfields-Clonlara-Co-Clare/6808/

5 bedroom detached house in a nice village - 5 min walk to pub, school etc.
    Driving distance of everywhere

€315k - I live here and love it, but paid €365k for the same house a year or so ago

Wait another 18 months and it'll be a lot less maybe?

Advertisement