Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motor expenses / mileage

• 26-11-2008 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone can clear this up for me.

How should a self employed person ( sole trader ) claim for motor expenses.

I have had conflicting opinions from 2 accountants.

One said, keep a detailed log of mileage including trip details, client details, meeting durations and meeting descriptions. Then the total miles would be multiplied by some set rate ( civil servants mileage rate ? ) and totalled.

Another accountant told me that to keep records of petrol purchases and then divide them up ( social use of the car versus business use ) based on estimates of mileage.

Same argument applies for subsistence.

Anybody shed any light on this ?

thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

Hi Matrixroyal

as far as i'm concerned second opinion is right for sole trader first one would be right for company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Kanchelskis

Nigel Sage wrote: »
    Hi Matrixroyal

as far as i'm concerned second opinion is right for sole trader first one would be right for company

Nigel is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 beka

Same argument applies for subsistence.thanks,

As a self employed person you are not entitled to subsistance. Employees and directors of companies can claim subsistance.

Advertisement