Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLR for Christmas

Options
  • 26-11-2008 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hey guys, just read through your FAQ and I'm still a wee bit lost. I am looking to get an SLR for around the 400 max 450euro mark.
    I'll be using it primarily to photograph sports so I need a high shutter speed and low reaction time. As I am new to SLR photography I don't need anything fancy either, just something good to learn with.
    Can anyone recommend me a particular make and maybe even a good shop in the dublin or kilkenny/carlow region that would help me out?
    Maybe if you're reading this mikeanywhere you can help me out buddy ;)
    Thanks guys!
    Chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

For that kind of money and that kind of performance you will have to buy used equipment. You could get a new Nikon D40/D40x in that range but it won't have a very high frame rate. Pretty much all dSLR's release the shutter instantly when you press the button, unlike compact digital cameras.

If you're shooting sports you're probably going to want a fast zoom lens also, which will be pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Hi mate,

Long time no speak. :p

If you are looking to do it for paintball then you are going to need a decent zoom lens with the body. The price you quoted above isn't going to get you much unless you are right at the barricade with the player getting 15bps.

I'll have a think about it and get back to you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

second hand canon - 350/400/450d - 350 euro ish

tamron 55-200 new - 100 euro ish - its a zoom but its slow

if you stretch a bit you could get a canon 1000d new but good sports lenses are expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Whites Pharmacy in Kilkenny City does new and secondhand

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

The OPs location is Dublin, though..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Chrome.ie

I know a few people who have bought from this company.
    http://www.ioffeb.com/category.php?id=23

Anybody else have any experience?

LOL

Brand new Canon EOS 1DmkII for 280€?

Yeah, Right! ahahahahaha.

Scammy Scam mac Scammers.

and.. nice site registration details.
    Domain Name : ioffeb.com
    PunnyCode : ioffeb.com

Registrant:
    Organization : wang yang
    Name : wang yang
    Address : zheng ping
    City : zheng ping
    Province/State : zheng ping
    Postal Code : 474150

Administrative Contact:
    Phone Number : 86-377-1234567
    Fax : 86-377-1234567
    Email :

Technical Contact:
    Email :

Billing Contact:
    Email :

LOL

Brand new Canon EOS 1DmkII for 280€?

Yeah, Right! ahahahahaha.

Scammy Scam mac Scammers.

€280 ex China.
    You also need to factor in shipping and duty.

I'm sorry, mate, but you don't get a 1-3000 euro camera for 280€, I don't really know how much shipping and tax you're adding.. but... lols. Not a hope. It's a fake.

also obvious from the above domain whois that its a fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 New Horizons

Seen your forum about ioffeb. You say you know people who have traded with them, any more info? We are looking to trade with them but want to find out moe first

• Advertisement

Seen your forum about ioffeb. You say you know people who have traded with them, any more info? We are looking to trade with them but want to find out moe first

3 friends of mine have bought LCD TV's from this company without any problems. They organised the shipping from this side via UPS.

Would love to hear if anybody else has any experience of this company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 New Horizons

Any chance of more info from your friends. How did they check the authenticity of the company? How long did the goods take to arrive? Why did they arrange the shipping when IOFFEB claim to hav very cheap shipping fees? etc etc etc

Any chance of more info from your friends. How did they check the authenticity of the company? How long did the goods take to arrive? Why did they arrange the shipping when IOFFEB claim to hav very cheap shipping fees? etc etc etc

I try to get as much info as possible.
    They organised the shipping form here so that they could group the items into 1 delivery and so reducing the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

******** NOT WITHSTANDING THAT THE COMPANY IOFFEB MAY BE GENUINE - THIS IS A VERY SUSPICIOUS POST **********

Be really mindful of dealing with a site that offers prices so low that they are unbelieveable. The only references across the web to this site is spam type messages - see here for instance. And such messages are in the recent past.

Statbrain suggest that their web tarffic is less than 10 hits per day (not 10,000 - just 10 hits) so they aren't even very successful at spamming people. :eek:

Chrome.ie - can you please PM me with further information. Thank you.

*****************************************************************************************************

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Had a chat with Chrome and from what i can gather the information he received is very similiar to a scam that does the rounds. You receive a message from your friend to say that they just want you to know about these amazing deals from this company xyz.com and that they and their buddys just bought products and got great deals.

Essentially such scammers/spammers deploy spambots, crack peoples email (typically hotmail and the like), lock them out of it by changing their password and then email everyone in their contact list a message as above. Then they leave not to come back but the user remains locked out until you get onto your email provider.

I know because I received such a message from my son and whilst i can't be certain, the IOFFEB name rings a bell. eh...., my son is definitely not in a position to have bought a LCD from this company ( that i was sure! :D )

Anyhow, buyer beware - my advice would be to not trust the company unless you can establish their credentials first (not believing what is on the internet) - verify any information directly by word of mouth with any acquaintance that you may have received such messages from.

This Christmas, Shop safely and don't end up being bitterly disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

The "PayMent" details for visa payments are given as
    Bank name:Bank of China nanyang branch
    Address:China Nanyang Xinhua Road No. 168
    postcode: 473000
    A/C holder's name :fang yu
    Fang Yu for your money?

My Chinese in-laws will have a laugh at this one, or me if it's legit and I missed the bargain of a lifetime. Wǒ xiǎng jì xù shēn zào.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Oh!!! Those F*ckers cracked my yahoo email account last week and sent a spam mail out to everyone!! Do NOT send them any money ever!! Feckin dirty hacking spamming swines. All my feckin clients and everything they hit. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..........

Can you tell I'm a bit peeved at them?

*starts coming up with plan to get them shut down :D*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Back to the original thread please boys and girls - any ideas for what we can suggest for this young man??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

ion c wrote: »
    Hey guys, just read through your FAQ and I'm still a wee bit lost. I am looking to get an SLR for around the 400 max 450euro mark.
    I'll be using it primarily to photograph sports so I need a high shutter speed and low reaction time. As I am new to SLR photography I don't need anything fancy either, just something good to learn with.
    Can anyone recommend me a particular make and maybe even a good shop in the dublin or kilkenny/carlow region that would help me out?
    Maybe if you're reading this mikeanywhere you can help me out buddy ;)
    Thanks guys!
    Chris
    I'd definitely keep an eye on adverts.ie
    Say canon eos 400d/450d or nikon equivalent body so you've more money for good lenses which you can hang on to when you upgrade the body.

In your shoes I'd put the bulk of the budget into the lens for sports action. You'll see amazing sports shots around here but to freeze the action at say 500th of a second you need a wide aperture, but you're also trying to do that at 300mm say, and that glass is pricey esp. if you want image stabilisation so second hand makes a lot of sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Sounds like the name and address one gives to a Gard when he catches one pissing against an ATM...

It didn't work then, it wont work now!

Advertisement