Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The life of a poker donkey 5000th post tl;dr

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭bottom feeder

Flushdraw wrote: »
    Thanks again for all the replies. I seem to have lost my thank function!

Bluffed with 22..nah Willie that must have been a value bet ;)

Yeah i was a fair bit chunkier than i am these days and hoping to get back in tip top shape once the Christmas is out of the way. As for the engagement, i've already told you that you'll be the first to know and will be invited as a guest speaker to any impending wedding :pac:

Gill does a great job as a chauffer and gonna be teaching me to drive soon coz i never bothered learning. Hoping to be on the road soon! I could have put something similar up for my 2k post but i was only a child back then ha! Gill enjoyed meeting you and a few more faces in Killarney and hopefully get a chance to do a few more in the new year

Haha the tache is down to its minimum these days..get kept well in check but i cant get used to going fully naked!

Havent been to the SE in a while so not bumped into you lately. defo get your ass to Vegas though. I'll be going back soon and hoping to ck up a few quid on my travels this time!

Defo Wes. I'll give you a shout before the Christmas and i'll pop down. You try and round up the dead money and we'll fleece 'em!

Seen your location is Donegal. I'm in Letterkenny every weekend so might bump into you some weekend

Rather it was someone else than you Dom but we both needed a double up so at least one of us would have been happy. I know you wouldnt have given the chips away as easy i did though!

tony im the bloody dead money,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭kakak1

great read Tony, gl for the future

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Gillybean72

Had a nice summer away from poker and went to Nice and Monaco with Gill so it was good to get a break away where I didn’t play at all. Been teaching her a bit over the last few months and she’s getting better all the time (finishing 2nd in the BCOOP series ;-)) .

Thanks for all the coaching Tony!
    Strangely enough I cannot comment too much on your play, mainly your live play as we dont go often enough to the Gold Club together, we playd there on a saturday night a few months back and finished a respectable 3rd and 4th (I got the 4th position obv!) and we are restricted at the weekend to where we play online, so we dont get to play poker with each other often.

But in saying that, from what I have seen, Tony is a great player who has done well over the years. I dont think Tony realises how good he is and amazes me when he plays Badugi, stud, razz, omaha hi/lo, Hold'em omaha all at the same time, chatting to me and on boards, facebook and what ever else he may have on his screen at that moment. I struggled during the BCOOP to play Hold'em and the Omaha HU match at the same time, let alone a mix of many games with totally different strategies! And they say men cant multi-task?? they never met an online poker player then.

I have learnt so much from him since we first started chatting at the beginning of January, in the strangest circumstances due to the meddling of another boardsie (you know who you are ;) ) He became my new poker teacher after that and it wasnt until February as he said that we decided to start dating and never looked back since.

Tony is due another big cash and he thoroughly deserves it, he has played well in the tournies lately and its just a matter of time.

So to end my ramblings here, just want to say well done on the post and good luck with the future pokers, but I will be there to watch anyways! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭BuChan

nice work tony. good luck in the future, unique (90% sicko) style, why stop at one tv table.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nice honest read Tony,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

Seen your location is Donegal. I'm in Letterkenny every weekend so might bump into you some weekend

Unfortunately I'm rarely ever there. Living in Dublin these days, I think I might have played with you in a cash game before in the SE but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

good luck with the future pokers, but I will be there to watch anyways! :)

:D ya see Tony, I tried to warn ya, da wimmins , ya know it'll get to the stage when ya can't take a wizz. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Gillybean72

YULETIRED wrote: »
    :D ya see Tony, I tried to warn ya, da wimmins , ya know it'll get to the stage when ya can't take a wizz. :D

Jaysus Willie, can I not even support him now without you making a funny comment ;););) lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

cliff notes

tony dioscovers poker
    improves
    wins money
    woman discovers tony
    tony no longer plays poker

good read tony

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Flipz4Rollz

Good read

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭corkie123

best read i had on a poker forum in a long time that i read it a few times .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

BuChan wrote: »
    nice work tony. good luck in the future, unique (90% sicko) style, why stop at one tv table.

The elusive Eamon! No more lurking gotta get back to playing, hope to see you around, Danny.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Great read, some great stories and im sure thats only the surface. gl for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

Nice one Tony - I remember that 3k event really well. I remember having a good discusion with Donal (TD) about you after I got knocked out. We were both very impressed by how you were handling yourself at the feature table and playing against the pros. I also remember talking to Ram Vaswani about that K10 hand, he called you with A9o. Funny thing about that hand was that he was talking himself into a fold until Mike 4 aces Murray called clock on him, at this point he thought what the hell and called you, LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Strangely enough I cannot comment too much on your play, mainly your live play as we dont go often enough to the Gold Club together, we playd there on a saturday night a few months back and finished a respectable 3rd and 4th (I got the 4th position obv!) and we are restricted at the weekend to where we play online, so we dont get to play poker with each other often.

But in saying that, from what I have seen, Tony is a great player who has done well over the years. I dont think Tony realises how good he is and amazes me when he plays Badugi, stud, razz, omaha hi/lo, Hold'em omaha all at the same time, chatting to me and on boards, facebook and what ever else he may have on his screen at that moment. I struggled during the BCOOP to play Hold'em and the Omaha HU match at the same time, let alone a mix of many games with totally different strategies! And they say men cant multi-task?? they never met an online poker player then.

I have learnt so much from him since we first started chatting at the beginning of January, in the strangest circumstances due to the meddling of another boardsie (you know who you are ;) ) He became my new poker teacher after that and it wasnt until February as he said that we decided to start dating and never looked back since.

Tony is due another big cash and he thoroughly deserves it, he has played well in the tournies lately and its just a matter of time.

So to end my ramblings here, just want to say well done on the post and good luck with the future pokers, but I will be there to watch anyways! :)

you forgot to say "he's a ride" :D Nice honest post Tony always a pleasure to have you at the table although i must stop floating with 44 against you:pac: Hope you score another big one soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

amazes me when he plays Badugi, stud, razz, omaha hi/lo, Hold'em omaha all at the same time, chatting to me and on boards, facebook and what ever else he may have on his screen at that moment. I struggled during the BCOOP to play Hold'em and the Omaha HU match at the same time, let alone a mix of many games with totally different strategies! And they say men cant multi-task?? they never met an online poker player then.

No probs on the coaching ;-) Its fun, most of the time! Me multi-tabling different games on different sites is just the degenerate in me shining through! I wasnt too bad until i got the 2 24" monitors but now its all systems go to and i'll regularly play other disciplines than boring oul holdem!
    Although in saying that, i've sort of forgotten how to play omaha of late because i play so much Omaha hi/lo so thats something i need to improve on!
    BuChan wrote: »

Sounds like your own style Eamonn! Good to see you back on and hopefully you'll be back around soon crushing Dublins games!
    corkie123 wrote: »
    best read i had on a poker forum in a long time that i read it a few times .

Cheers Corkie ;)
    Moneymaker wrote: »
    Great read, some great stories and im sure thats only the surface. gl for the future.

I could have wrote a book lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Thanks for the great read and the obvious effort Tony.

Just one question,do you have any plans to actually win a tournie?;)

Hope the cards and the lady treat you well for the future,read my sig for my wifes advice,stood me well so far.

Thanks for the great read and the obvious effort Tony.

Just one question,do you have any plans to actually win a tournie?;)

LOL yeah Danny, thats one thing thats sadly lacking...a win in a decent buyin event. I tend to play more aggresive around the bubble early on in the money. What usually happens is i either take a big hit and end up shortstacked, or get over confident with a big stack and push for 1st place. I think i need to learn to adjust a little better when i get 4-5 handed in a tourney.

That is pretty good advice Danny..I'll have to remember that, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

LOL yeah Danny, thats one thing thats sadly lacking...a win in a decent buyin event. I tend to play more aggresive around the bubble early on in the money. What usually happens is i either take a big hit and end up shortstacked, or get over confident with a big stack and push for 1st place. I think i need to learn to adjust a little better when i get 4-5 handed in a tourney.

Keep putting yourself in those positions Tony and it's only a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Its fun, most of the time! Me multi-tabling different games on different sites is just the degenerate in me shining through!

Can you manage to multitable badugi successfully? I've tried to 4 table it and I just can't, too hard to keep track of the number of cards everyone has drawn and the losing hands won't pop up on a HUD cause it doesn't work with badugi.

• Advertisement

hotspur wrote: »
    Can you manage to multitable badugi successfully? I've tried to 4 table it and I just can't, too hard to keep track of the number of cards everyone has drawn and the losing hands won't pop up on a HUD cause it doesn't work with badugi.

I've never played more than 2 tables at a time of Badugi and i wouldnt play it exclusively. I'd be sure than if you understand how badly people play, you could be succesful by standing pat on weaker hands than you'd expect to win but i doubt there'll ever be a large enough pool of players to make any money because a lot of players i come across are just taking a shot with $50 or so

I still think Razz is far better and if you could master it, its probably the most exploitable variant of poker there is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bops

good read, top bloke, gl with the next 5k

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

great read tony! thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

I still think Razz is far better and if you could master it, its probably the most exploitable variant of poker there is

I play a fair amount of HU razz but HU sit n gos are just coinflips if you both know what you are doing and are pretty bad, played one last night that lasted about an hour and 20 minutes because the other guy wasn't a total idiot and the times he made errors the river kept saving him. I think the biggest razz edge is when playing HU horse and they don't know the game well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

great read Tony... well done on your great results so far... and I'm sure there is another big result around the corner for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭BIGMICKG

biggest article ive read in the past few months. :D good stuff man gl in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

So I qualified for the IPC and its off to the Citywest with me in June 06. What a day. I remember looking around at all these faces that I’d seen on telly and saying to myself "Now its time to prove to yourself that you belong here" I got my table draw, sat down and didn’t notice any named players so was a pretty good table for me. Our table was first to break and I remember drawing table "Derry" Looked around and couldn’t find it hmmmm so I asked Donal where it was an he pointed up to the stage.......sh1t.

I walked up and took my seat. 2 to the left of Ram Vaswani...effing marvellous. But it didn’t end there. Once I steady myself and look around, I find Padraig Parkinson, Xuyen “Bad Girl” Pham, Ross Boatman, Ivan Donaghy and Ricky Cosgrave (phew..a fish at last ;-)). Over the next few hours, Flipper Walsh, Stephen Hendry, Julian Gardner, Barney Boatman had all been at the table.

Random table draws ftw! :rolleyes:

In other news:
    nh Tony, gg! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

KevIRL wrote: »
    If this doesnt get post of the day, I'll eat my hat.

Well it looks like the hat is safe for another day. Boards post of the day. Wp Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Haha yeah Wes's crew and my crew had a couple of run ins when we were younger but never specifically myself and Wes! His side always won tho!

Outstanding memory is Wes going toe to toe with a 24 year old for a solid 10 mins when he was only 14!..Hardy bstard!

Hope to see you around Letterkenny someday :)

I hope I'm only visiting if you do! I'm half considering playing that Christmas festival there, so might see you at that.

Wes going toe-to-toe with a 24 year old, who was it Stephen Hawkings brother?

P.s. I still think your "tache" is the dodgiest looking thing I've ever seen, I remember first dealing at your table and thinking what a chav!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well its offical, Post of the Day,
    As listed up top (under boards.ie)

congrats

Advertisement