Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unemployment, emigrating, advice needed on tax reclaim

• 26-11-2008 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi all

I am going to be left go from my job without redundency in a few weeks( Before 2009), I plan on emigrating, there is just a couple of things that I want to know. I have been in employment and paying PRSI, income tax for the last four years since I graduated from college.
    I havent ever claimed back any tax in that space of time so I'm hopeful that I may be entitled to something back.

1 . If I go to the UK, can I reclaim any of the tax I have paid because i left here , or is this only the case if you travel to a non EU country.
    If so Is it a negative from my point of view that I have been left go just before January 2009.

2. Can I get the revenue to do an audit of my taxes for the last few years and see if I was overtaxed? If so whats the best way to do this online or a more direct communication filling out forms etc.

3. If i am seeking work in the UK, can I receive social welfare (Jobseekers benefit) from here while I look for a job over there.

Any advice would be great

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

on point 2, you can ask for a P21 balancing statement to be done for the previous 4 years, make sure to apply for any tax free allowances you should have been claiming (eg rent relief tax credits if you are renting privately, bin tags, med1 forms to claim back on any medical/dental work you have had done, etc).

This will then show if you are due any tax back. You can do some of this online at the revenue website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 irenee

go to taxback.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sunshineeyes

Hi there.
    I too am emigrating to the uk in january. I have been working full time for the last 10 yrs but the last 13 months i have been in reciept of disability allowance as result of 3 major reconstructive surgeries i have had as the result of a traffic accident.i have one more recontructive surgery to have in 2 weeks time and after my recooperation period i will be moving to my partner in uk all going well.
    my question is..can i still receive my d/a even though i will be living in a diff country.plus, once i do find a part time job to start off, can i still keep my benifit..or in other words can the social find out that im earning...do they link their systems.
    i know that wat im suggesting is fraud but i am in a catch 22,i am unsure as to whether i will be able to keep employment as to my health, but if i give up my d/a, and then find that i cant physically work..where does that leave me. hence wondering can they find out if i continue claiming and work legitimatley in uk..just shortterm, obviously if i find i am able to work full time i will gladly give up my d/a?
    any any information provided would be hugely helpful.
    please note, i am not one of these people out to cheat the tax payer and the government by getting all i can, this is not my intention at all.

regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

irenee wrote: »
    go to taxback.com

ooooh, Dont they charge for that? Or take a certain amount of your refund?
    Contact revenue on their 1890 line and ask them to do a 'review' or as a previous poster stated a P21 balancing statement for the last four years. Make sure you do this before December is out as you wont be able to get 2004 reviewed otherwise.
    For this year, if you wish to reclaim tax the form to complete is P50 - Tax back during unemployment and submit with parts 2 and 3 of your P45. However as it is now December, you are better to wait until Jan 09 and request a review for 08 submitting your P60 for 08 with your request. Less paper work and it will be dealt with quicker in Jan as December is a very busy month for Revenue. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ticktactoe has it spot on
    Couldn't have written it any better

Now sit back and wait for your cheque
    Or if you're unlucky a demand for thousands :eek:
    Relax though, that's very unlikely and I think if you owe under 400 euro they waive it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 move2uk

Hi All

Im another person looking at moving to UK in January.
    I found some very useful information at www.migrantproject.ie
    including info on transferring your benefits, and your entitlement
    here while looking for work in the UK.

I was just wondering where most people are relocating to. Is London
    still the most popular? I am looking at moving to Bristol :confused:. I dont have
    friends or family living in UK already.

W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

irenee wrote: »
    go to taxback.com

DON'T USE THIS SERVICE.
    They will charge you for it, and it's simple to do yourself.

Just get a P50 form from revenue.ie and submit to your tax office with your P45. And do the P21 balancing statements for the last 4 years too.

move2uk wrote: »
    Hi All

Im another person looking at moving to UK in January.

Why? I moved to Edinburgh last month and the whole process took about 4 months because there was/is flip all work out there.

I'm lucky that my job is pretty secure but it's very depressing watching the news and seeing widespread redundancies and companies going bust - much worse than in Ireland.

There are nearly 2 million people unemployed in the UK at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 move2uk

Its pretty much the same here from what I can see. There will be an estimated 400,000 people unemployed here by the end of January, over 10% unemployment in a much smaller country. I have been unemployed for nearly 4 months here, despite having 8 years finance experience. From what I've seen on recruitment sites there are still far more positions available in the Uk, both in the city and regionally, particularly in finance. I suppose one feels they have to do something at times like this. It may not work out but its worth the risk, and at least it will keep me busy. Bored stupid at the moment :o. How are you finding Edinburgh?

I love Edinburgh, it's a much friendlier city than Dublin with a lot more going on, plus it's waaaaay cheaper to live here (apart from rent, which is just a bit less than Dublin rents).

If you're already unemployed then that's different - take the risk :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Hi all

Just to give an opinion from the other side. I came to Ireland from the UK in November. I came from an area of very high unemployment and very low pay if you had a job (£15K/yr with a degree!). (Norfolk / Suffolk)

I am still unemployed (hubbie is working), and still waiting for a decision on jobseekers......BUT

If you do go to the UK bear in mind that wages are lower as is dole money. If memory serves me correctly its about £69 / wk.

Luckily we are staying with family (we have more family here than in the UK now as everyone is moving back over as prospects are better child benefit higher etc.) Most of hubbys family are Irish / entitled to an irish passport.

Fran

Advertisement