Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blizzards Vs Coronas

Options
  • 26-11-2008 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭

While the Corona s seem to have more international exposure at this stage i was just wondering which people thought were the greater talent and who will be remembered as the better band?

My opinion:
    Blizzards hands down

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I doubt either of them will be remembered.

They're both equally insipid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

I doubt either of them will be remembered.

They're both equally insipid.

Seconded

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I've only heard a couple of things by the Coronas but neither appear to be at any cutting edge.

Having been involved at the periphery of the Blizzards Album, I can say they're fantastic workers and a lovely bunch of guys.

However, that in itself is no reflection on the Music quality. The Coronas tracks I heard were sonically superior to my ears.

I see no evidence that either will be remembered long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i agree that neither will be remembered. The Blizzards songs are too ****ty and insipid to my ears, which is a shame, because the track Dublin Town (which Mr Brewer should be familiar with) is, imo, an excellent song and is much more interesting than **** like "fantasy" and "trust me, i'm a ****ing doctor".....but they seem content to churn out ****e disposable pop tunes, while their more interesting stuff (Dublin Town for example) is lost as a b-side.

I ****ing hate the singer from the Coronas voice. thats all i'm gonna say about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,135 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The coronas, really no, just no.

The Blizzards I have to say were a very good band before they were signed, but their music has sadly gone downhill since then. But yeah, neither will be remember in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

The coronas, really no, just no.
    I have to agree! Not too big a fan of the blizzards either but anyone who is put up against the cackona's will win.

Rubbish imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

ah hopefully they'll take each other out in a fight to the death.
    Would be for the greater good.

ah hopefully they'll take each other out in a fight to the death.

I'd go to THAT gig! Bressie is a big lad though, Rugby player n all ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭lottodrink

I'll go with the Coronas, love their music. Never heard of the blizzards so........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

both absolutely horrendous, and will stay popular until the teeny fan girls grow boobs and pubes. after that it will be "next!" :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Coronas new single sounds like the Frames!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Both IMO crap, I stood beside lead singer of Blizzards in a Rage Against the Machine gig in the summer, he gotten a pasting in the pit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭lottodrink

seachto7 wrote: »
    both absolutely horrendous, and will stay popular until the teeny fan girls grow boobs and pubes. after that it will be "next!" :mad:
    They actually draw in an older fan base as well.. herendous? U into westlife or some rubbish like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

They are both dire. The Corona's singer sounds like a right whiny wuss in that song Out Tonight. The Blizzards are purely for young girls IMO so I suppose I should leave ye to debate. I just couldn't pass the thread without voicing my disdain for both.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Scorless draw

lordgoat wrote: »
    Scorless draw

...and feck all at the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Couldn't resist joining in, I hate both. both as crap and annoying as each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

I don't know what everyone's talking about. These are two innovative collectives at the cutting edge of the avant-garde. And they're Irish, so that automatically makes them great. Oh well, I guess they're just too out there for you philistines.

*warning: may contain traces of sarcasm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

They are both dire. The Corona's singer sounds like a right whiny wuss in that song Out Tonight. The Blizzards are purely for young girls IMO so I suppose I should leave ye to debate. I just couldn't pass the thread without voicing my disdain for both.

Hmmm, you say the Coronas are responsible for that ****ing horribly **** song I've been hearing lately??

Well in that case, no band would be more deserving of being sodomised with the broken shards of one of their own singles...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I have to say I prefer the blizzards, but that's just cos they're music is listenable. it's nice and poppy but the coronas are just crap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Dick in a blender or balls in a vice....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I would take the corona's over the blizzards any day. I fervently hope that if the blizzards go on tour, that their bus blows up, or something to that effect. They have killed irish music, and are now proceding to piss on its grave.

To be honest The Blizzards to me highlight everything that is wrong with peoples beliefs about music. Everyone seems to classify them as alternative or some other variety of the genre. Why? because there is a guitar in it? give me a ****ing break. As a band they couldnt be any more mainstream. They are signed to a major label, and seem intent on churning out streams of pop drivel, that stays in vogue for about 15 minutes, until some other plonker comes forward and puts out another 3 and a half minute piece of unadulterated crap. It drives me ****ing crazy.
    Also, from what i can see, what goes hand in hand with the blizzards are stupid mindless, moronic teenagers with text speak, that from what i can see, actually goes out of its way to rape the english language in everyway possible, and the midst of it all, they are professing their "luv 4 indee musik lyk, da blizzrds r totalleee da best evr!!!!!!"
    Now i know, you shouldnt disregard a band because of its fans, but they seem to embrace the following they get from these people, and do their best to build upon it.
    Everytime i hear this, i think i bleed a little on the inside.

I know someone is going to come in here and pick out flaws in my argument, someone always does, and im sure their are flaws, its rather difficult to get your opinion across on the internet i find

I fervently hope that if the blizzards go on tour, that their bus blows up, or something to that effect. They have killed irish music, and are now proceding to piss on its grave.

That's a bit harsh isn't it? Bus blows up? They're only a few lads playing a few tunes, no more - no less.

Obviously they haven't killed Irish Music as they don't have the power to either kill or revive it.
    As a band they couldnt be any more mainstream.
    THEY would agree with that, and don't suggest otherwise. They're a pop band and they know it.
    It drives me ****ing crazy.

That's the kind of over emotional response one might expect from 'stupid mindless, moronic teenagers with text speak' isn't it?
    I know someone is going to come in here and pick out flaws in my argument, someone always does, and im sure their are flaws, its rather difficult to get your opinion across on the internet i find

Well there's certainly flaws in the spelling ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh isn't it? Bus blows up? They're only a few lads playing a few tunes, no more - no less.

Okay so maybe the bus blowing up was a bit of an exaggeration, but i was just trying to get across how much i dislike them.
    Obviously they haven't killed Irish Music as they don't have the power to either kill or revive it.

Yeah i guess your right, they havent killed irish music, it was already dead, i think Bono has put paid to that. But in my opinion, the music they are producing is an embarassment.

THEY would agree with that, and don't suggest otherwise. They're a pop band and they know it.

Ok so maybe the entire classification thing isnt their fault, but they do seem to classify themselves as Ska and Punk as well. I can kind of see a very minor resemblance of Ska, but i am completely lost on the punk description

That's the kind of over emotional response one might expect from an 'stupid mindless, moronic teenagers with text speak' isn't it?
    I wouldnt think so. Im not being over emotional, it does drive me crazy, and there is no hint of text speak in the statement?

Well there's certainly flaws in the spelling ...

:rolleyes:one spelling mistake. Everyone makes typos:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

The Blizzards

smalldouche.jpg

OR

The Coronas

smallturd.jpg

And neither would be played on the radio if they weren't Irish

it does drive me crazy,

Relax, it's only a few lads playing a few tunes.

If that 'drives you crazy' then last night's news from Mombay must be leaving you very distraught.

It's all about perspective.

My advice is put your energy into loving things, ignore everything else.

I've heard this many a time on a Luas or sitting in a café, or talking to total fuppin' eejits...

Girl 1 - "I like the Blizzards"
    Girl 2 - "Yeah I love them too"
    "The singer is like.. so hot"
    "I know.. He used to play rugby for Leinster"
    "I know ya, he's so dreamy"
    "My sister's boyfriend knows a guy who's cousin is friend's with him"
    "Oh wow, so lucky"
    "Ya I know"

God bless those musical gods.

I've heard this many a time on a Luas or sitting in a café, or talking to total fuppin' eejits...

Girl 1 - "I like the Blizzards"
    Girl 2 - "Yeah I love them too"
    "The singer is like.. so hot"
    "I know.. He used to play rugby for Leinster"
    "I know ya, he's so dreamy"
    "My sister's boyfriend knows a guy who's cousin is friend's with him"
    "Oh wow, so lucky"
    "Ya I know"

God bless those musical gods.

Thems is the Rules! All we can do is laugh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

I see that The Blizzards have signed a publishing deal with Universal UK and their new single The Reason(?) sounds just about perfect (to my uncultured ears anyway) for the mtv/pimp my ride audience.
    Think it might be the song that finally get Universal UK to take a chance on them but then again who knows what goes on behind the closed doors of these big organisations.

With that said you'd have to say that The Blizzards are making the bigger impact at present but who knows what The Coronas second album might do for their career.

• Advertisement

but who knows what The Coronas second album might do for their career.

Hopefully kill it:D

Advertisement