Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blizzards Vs Coronas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

nah, second album's gonna be a good one. i have it on pretty good authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Hopefully kill it:D

Hopefully!!!

I'll second you there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Neither

15 years ago it would have been Whipping Boy vs Rollerskate Skinny.

Mexican Pets, Wormhole, Jubilee, Sunbear, Pet Lamb, The Plague Monkeys, The Idiots all brilliant. What the fcuk happened. Now we're reduced to this watered-down sanitized muck. This thread should be moved to pop tbh.

Neither bands (nor their fans) deny they're pop. There's no pop forum on boards, alt/indie is the closest genre

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Neither

15 years ago it would have been Whipping Boy vs Rollerskate Skinny.

Mexican Pets, Wormhole, Jubilee, Sunbear, Pet Lamb, The Plague Monkeys, The Idiots all brilliant. What the fcuk happened. Now we're reduced to this watered-down sanitized muck. This thread should be moved to pop tbh.

Ah but would it?

More like the Four of Us and The Stunning.

That's a closer parallel don't you think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

Ye know, even when I was writing my post I knew someone was gonna answer with that kinda response.
    Just couldnt think of any other way of putting it! :)
    Hopefully kill it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

iamnothim wrote: »
    Neither bands (nor their fans) deny they're pop. There's no pop forum on boards, alt/indie is the closest genre

There is a general music forum however, which last i checked is for mainstream band discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

They are both really really bad. The Kooks bad.
    I think Westlife might just be the best contemporary Irish band. Scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭shakespeare

have to throw in my 2 cents also...

these are two of the worst bands ive ever heard...

songwriting/musicianship/production by numbers...nothing...

lyrically so awful that ive a punched myself in the face when they've come on the radio...

the band members themselves are in no way interesting whatsoever (no particular charisma, no real obvious talent that you could be in awe of)

if i saw these guys at an open mike...which i think i may have in years gone by...i would clap out of "fair play to ya for trying" embarassment rather then
    appreciation...

on all levels...i find it hard to think of a redeeming factor in relation to either of these bands.

imo.

Worse than The Jonas Brothers?

• Advertisement

much worse...

disney are paying the jonas brotehrs to be celeb's/movie stars/pin ups....not really about music at all...

where as these other two guys are trying to be serious musicians...
    and im sure they are nice people but thats not the point right now...
    the point is that on musical merits...they are bloody AWFUL...tear inducingly bad...its quite strange to see how low peoples/kids musical standards have dropped to except this as entertainment/art/inspiration.

where as the jonas brothers are offensive in the same way high school musical is...just irritating...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

They are both dire. The Corona's singer sounds like a right whiny wuss in that song Out Tonight.

em, out tonight is a flaws song isnt it? Linkage If your talking about that... i disagree, that is a class indy song imo! If thats what your talking about it couldnt be more distant from the coronas sound, which is weak (from a muscular and diversity pov)
    PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Relax, it's only a few lads playing a few tunes.

It's all about perspective.

My advice is put your energy into loving things, ignore everything else.

Exactly! I dont like either of those bands if im honest.. i know 2 of the corona lads myself and im far from a teenie bopper. I went to school with them, not in the same year, but i know em enough to talk to when i see em. Both bands have done well for themselves, the coronas are good at what they do, which isnt my bag, so im not gonna comment on it. The blizzards however are trying to be what would somewhat be my taste in music and its horrible. Again, i cant listen to either band so im impartial.

The way i look at it is that both bands are doing what THEY want to do. No band puts out a track just to make other people happy, its for themselves and if people like it then so be it - they get a following. Is there anything wrong with making money for doing something that you love doing? I would hope that the blizzards are nice chaps as i know a couple of the coronas are very level headed and sound to talk to.

Being a musician and about to release an EP early next year i understand how hard it is for your tunes to get heard, so fair fks to both bands. Blood sweat and tears went into each and every one of those tracks, regardless of how good the song is tallentwise, musically, sonically or vocally.

red_ice wrote: »
    Again, i cant listen to either band so im impartial.

Class!

I'm sure they're all lovely lads, sure isn't the singer in the Blizzards a Doctor for Gawds sake? ;)

You might be interested in a post we have going on M-Prod at the moment if you're about to release -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055430536

Best of Luck either way!

Cheers!

Regarding new bands singles being free? our 4 tracks cost us 6k, serious debt to be covered :p

red_ice wrote: »
    Cheers!
    our 4 tracks cost us 6k, serious debt to be covered :p

Where did you do them? With whom? What's your myspace?

The likelihood , based on all statistics I have access too, most anecdotal from both shops and bands, is that you haven't a hope in hell of recouping!

(Excuse off topicness - if moderators would prefer we can move this post elsewhere.)

not looking to really, but it would be nice to take a lump off of it :)

Regarding new bands singles being free? our 4 tracks cost us 6k, serious debt to be covered

I think singles are really only supposed to be promotional, so you may as well give em away for free. You'll make your money back by selling albums and gigging. However - if you're selling singles, you can get charted and get radio play as a result, you have to have it in the shops/itunes for that to work.

Anyway though, back on topic

songwriting/musicianship/production by numbers...nothing...

lyrically so awful that ive a punched myself in the face when they've come on the radio...

the band members themselves are in no way interesting whatsoever (no particular charisma, no real obvious talent that you could be in awe of)

if i saw these guys at an open mike...which i think i may have in years gone by...i would clap out of "fair play to ya for trying" embarassment rather then
    appreciation...

on all levels...i find it hard to think of a redeeming factor in relation to either of these bands.

imo.

To be honest dude, I think a lot of your post is pretty baseless. What kind of music are you into? Have you ever seen either band live? Have you ever met any of them personally? You've made a lot of judgements here I don't think you can back up and as they stand, they're quite inaccurate.
    The way i look at it is that both bands are doing what THEY want to do. No band puts out a track just to make other people happy, its for themselves and if people like it then so be it - they get a following. Is there anything wrong with making money for doing something that you love doing?

Exactly!

"To be honest dude, I think a lot of your post is pretty baseless. What kind of music are you into? Have you ever seen either band live? Have you ever met any of them personally? You've made a lot of judgements here I don't think you can back up and as they stand, they're quite inaccurate."

Exactly![/QUOTE]

1)"Have you ever seen either band live?".....yes both bands as it happens...at festivals and ive walked out twice...not my thing...as you can gather. (not to say that "that" type of music or gig is not my thing...just that i dont think either band do that type of thing well at all...so i left)

2)"Met them personally?"nope...you ever met Bonnie Tyler??? bet ya dont like her music!.... read my other post...im sure they're nice people...im just talking about their music...+ have seen numerous interviews with both bands(you cant escape either right now) and find nothing interesting/admirable about any of them(as musicians)...am i entitled to have that opinion? if im not then i do apologise...

3)"I think a lot of your post is pretty baseless...." - having listened to their respective albums and singles etc im perfectly within my right to comment on the following (which has absolutely nothing to do with seeing them live or meeting them...)

"songwriting/musicianship/production by numbers...nothing...

lyrically so awful that ive a punched myself in the face when they've come on the radio..."

thats what i said...so how is that baseless???do i need to be related to one of them to have an opinion? a childhood friend perhaps? married to the bass player? or fly on the wall in the recording studio? (none of the above catagories i think you fall into so therefore perhaps we should live and let live and not state someon elses opinions as "baseless" with out having a "base" for the comment youreself...

Ive listened to their music, seen them live...and i dont care less what they eat for breakfast because im a huge music fan of all genres for as long as i care to remember...which entitles me to comment on the current music scene (as can you)which they are a part of...how is that inacurate???? (as you put it?)

it sounds to me like "someone" has a crush on a lead singer and got insulted that i dont want their poster on my wall...

its all just my opinion...im sure the charts dont lie and they have wonderful fans etc. but my point was the standard of this type of music has slipped so far that the drollest of rehashed ideas passes for music...these two bands being the apitomy of awful...on all levels...

in my opinion.

1)"Have you ever seen either band live?".....yes both bands as it happens...at festivals and ive walked out twice...not my thing...as you can gather. (not to say that "that" type of music or gig is not my thing...just that i dont think either band do that type of thing well at all...so i left)

Fair enough. Although, I should point out that I couldn't find fault in either band's live show in respect to the music they are playing. Both are very tight live and are at least a good as their respective recorded material.
    2)"Met them personally?"nope...you ever met Bonnie Tyler??? bet ya dont like her music!.... read my other post...im sure they're nice people...im just talking about their music...+ have seen numerous interviews with both bands(you cant escape either right now) and find nothing interesting/admirable about any of them(as musicians)...am i entitled to have that opinion? if im not then i do apologise...

In your original post you commented on the band member's charisma, which I took in the sense of their personality. I'm not really sure how charisma comes into the music so I'll leave that one
    3)"I think a lot of your post is pretty baseless...." - having listened to their respective albums and singles etc im perfectly within my right to comment on the following (which has absolutely nothing to do with seeing them live or meeting them...)

"songwriting/musicianship/production by numbers...nothing...

lyrically so awful that ive a punched myself in the face when they've come on the radio..."

I can understand how someone could feel the music uninteresting, but pain inducing? really? It is what it is after all, and that's run of the mill pop rock. By default it's inoffensive and easy to listen to.
    I will agree that lyrics are probably the weaker of points with a lot of the radio friendly singles being churned out by these bands today (although there are exceptions). In The Coronas defense on this point, the songs they've released were all written when they were 17/18 so theirs an element of maturity which will only develop in album #2.
    thats what i said...so how is that baseless???do i need to be related to one of them to have an opinion? a childhood friend perhaps? married to the bass player? or fly on the wall in the recording studio? (none of the above catagories i think you fall into so therefore perhaps we should live and let live and not state someon elses opinions as "baseless" with out having a "base" for the comment youreself...

I'm not going to go into it, but I actually am very involved with one of these groups. In that regard my opinion is very slanted
    Ive listened to their music, seen them live...and i dont care less what they eat for breakfast because im a huge music fan of all genres for as long as i care to remember...which entitles me to comment on the current music scene (as can you)which they are a part of...how is that inacurate???? (as you put it?)

True, I shouldn't have commented on an opinion as being inacurate, that's contradictary.
    it sounds to me like "someone" has a crush on a lead singer and got insulted that i dont want their poster on my wall...

Not quite :)

just a few points...thanks for the reply...

a) charisma? has got a lot to do with this type of music as it does in pop/rock/rap etc. even metal and emo...anywhere there is a market...charisma is involved. Live shows particularly...whats the point in having killer songs but not being able to effect the crowd with your performance of them...youre on stage persona??? neither of these bands have songs or charisma...that was my point...

b) monkeys can play in time if you teach them long enough...only when timing is perfected in improvisation or crafted into something clever and effecting is "timing" an impressive aspect of a band...in fact...timing is a Necessity for an even half decent band...not something to be proud of or rate a band by...."this band is good.....it can play its insturments in time"...and since their respective recorded material isnt very good then you can see why i didnt enjoy them live.

C)Pain inducing...just a metaphore...nothing more...but it did what it was supposed to do...which was get my point accross...

also my metaphore for you having a crush on one of the bands seems to be close to the mark...as you are involved in some way with them...

not everyone is gonna like your pals band...in fact most people wont...but they are entitled to that...and who knows...maybe album number 2 will prove im an eejitt who spoke too soon.

• Advertisement

for the record, i'm a bloke. I play music with one of the bands professionally - thus the bias

well on youre recommendation...

ill listen even more intently to the next album.

for the record, i'm a bloke. I play music with one of the bands professionally - thus the bias

Come on then..... which one? And give us the inside line? Are yez both Shyte or wha?;)

And who'd win in a fight? I reckon the Blizzards, the singer and rhythm section are big guys ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

And who'd win in a fight? I reckon the Blizzards, the singer and rhythm section are big guys ...

Hmmm I reckon the Coronas would fight dirty tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I play music with one of the bands professionally - thus the bias

Wait - you're in one of the bands?

Of course you're going to say ye're not ****e then. You kinda have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Wait - you're in one of the bands?

Of course you're going to say ye're not ****e then. You kinda have to.

But you are.
    Dull bland-by-the-book calculated throwaway shiite. The flaws get an honourable mention too.

The Coronas. I mean FFS. Your muse is a beermat. Please leave down your instruments and become accountants bacause there's not an ounce of creativity between ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Please leave down your instruments and become accountants bacause there's not an ounce of creativity between ye.

Hahah harsh, but funny! I have to agree though, the second their song comes on I turn off the station within a second.

a) charisma? has got a lot to do with this type of music as it does in pop/rock/rap etc. even metal and emo...anywhere there is a market...charisma is involved. Live shows particularly...whats the point in having killer songs but not being able to effect the crowd with your performance of them...youre on stage persona??? neither of these bands have songs or charisma...that was my point...

well, i dont know about that... Part of a bands charisma could be the distant approach, they dont want to engage the crowed. Leonard cohen is pretty drab imo and hes considered to be 'good'. Eric Clapton's crowed interaction is miserable, his gigs are basicly him playing with his mates and not bothering with the crowed, i think he said something to the crowed once when he played last here. Then again, look at queens of the stone age, josh would most definitly take time out all the time to check on the crowed, interact, drop a few jokes etc. Interpol, no interaction, just movement on stage.

I agree to an extent with you on that point, but i have to say some bands dont need to interact with a crowed that much, id say the coronas stage presence is perfect for the type of music that they play. Likewise for the blizzards.

b) monkeys can play in time if you teach them long enough...only when timing is perfected in improvisation or crafted into something clever and effecting is "timing" an impressive aspect of a band...in fact...timing is a Necessity for an even half decent band...not something to be proud of or rate a band by...."this band is good.....it can play its insturments in time"...and since their respective recorded material isnt very good then you can see why i didnt enjoy them live.

Well most up and coming bands find it hard to keep in time. For any established musician playing in time (up and/or down beats)should be a natural thing. I might be picking you up wrong but theres only one way to stay in time with 2/4, 4/4 etc.. unless you mean going into 7/4 etc which makes it sound a bit weird but the basics of staying in time are still the same there. Staying in time to any time pattern is easy, its just counting to a point and starting again. As far as that in relation to a band i would seperate the timing end of things to the rythem section(drum and bass), thats where timing matters most. If a bass player is playing drab root note riffs and hes out of time theres something seriously wrong there. Anyone can play in time is my main point, its not hard. Whats hard is bridging the rythem with the melodies being put forward on the guitars in a way that isnt obvious, thats when you have a good band!

• Advertisement

all the bands/artists you mentioned relating to the point i made about charisma do different styles of music and have a stage pressence based on the points they are at in their career. plus they arent going for the modern pop rock market...cohen is much like dylan from the point that it depends on what side of the bed he got out of and having seen him live many times would be concerned to see him try and exagerate his peformances...clapton was never about that sort of thing, occupying a more reserved demenour to match his audience (since solo ie.clapton gigs dont have moshing gunsligers looking to air guitar his riffs...more old school appreciators)

my point was that the blizzards play fast and loud...but because i didnt think they had the actual songs to carry a live show i expected more from them in the performance/charisma department...which they dont have...fairly stadard and run of the mill....thats why...imo...plainly bad songs, basic musicianship, obvious and straight forward arrangements, repeated formats and no real indviduality or stage pressence means i dont like them so much.

and the timing thing i was speaking of was more in relation to the fact that the other guy (the guy who plays in one of the bands) said that.....

"Both are very tight live and are at least a good as their respective recorded material"

and my point was that tightness is ESSENTIAL to be considered even as a professional band never mind a good one. so saying they were tight really has no bearing.

in terms of "staying in time" and 4/4,7/4 etc.

i was speaking more about originality. not the actual beats and rythms being used.
    having intersting breaks and unusual/unexpected changes in intensity and depth...a bit of imagination. only then can you comment on "being tight".
    if a guy is playing 4/4 to the beatles then its hard to give him any real credit as a drummer...
    again...just pointing towards the statement this other guy made that being tight was enough to be considered a good band.

Advertisement