Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blizzards Vs Coronas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

just pointing towards the statement this other guy made that being tight was enough to be considered a good band.

'Good' is a subjective term in this sense. My point was that, putting your musicial preference aside, their live performace cant be faulted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭shakespeare

"good" band...."good" food..."good" hair...
    whatever...lets not split hairs...you know what im talkin bout...

4 guys playing "tightly" doesnt necessarily make a "good" band...and since ive already said that I THINK (in capitals!)
    -their songs are tripe
    -thier live show is nothing more then pedestrian and akin to watching a child joining dots
    -and more to the point, you've just told me im wrong and questioned my phrasing instead of giving me examples of how...

a)theyre music is anything other then what i think it is
    b)theyre live show is more then just bog standard
    c)how they are not just making music that fits into the slots that record companys want to fill...upity indie pop and whingy rock baladry,strings on tap and woo hoo's/ ohh oooo's a pleanty...fake sincerity and produced to the hilt with every cliche available thrown in to boot until any remnence of the original track is just a dot that some child is joining on a page!

thats what they are...and i dont care...fair play to them...and long may they send their kids to college with the proceeds...but i dont have to like it or buy it and im entitled to my opinion....

why do you keep making statements that are just incorrect....

"their live performace cant be faulted. "

I CAN FAULT THEM...and just have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭shakespeare

let me sum up...ya cant polish a turd...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Ya can!! .... but not to the level of a turd that's naturally shiny ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Exactly right. Depressing to think what these guys are peddling. Haircuts, same hi-hat beat, same weak spikey guitar sound (never turned up too loud or distorted too much could offend someone). Playing it safe for radio stations and their advertisers. Stock Aitken Waterman had more balls than this shower of clones.

Worse still, It hurts my head to think people can be so simple minded to listen to this generic drivel. Actually probably best not to think of it. It's a question of intelligence rather than taste really.

• Advertisement

I think Paul Brewer get's what I'm saying

I've never seen either band live but, by coincidence, The Coronas are playing in Tullamore (the country seat) this Saturday.

So if you're in them, put me on the list, Yea?;)

Word is the Blizzards are coming over from Mullingar and they're going to fight outside Supermacs ... should be good.

I will give a report here after the bruises/wounds are counted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Exactly right. Depressing to think what these guys are peddling. Haircuts, same hi-hat beat, same weak spikey guitar sound (never turned up too loud or distorted too much could offend someone). Playing it safe for radio stations and their advertisers. Stock Aitken Waterman had more balls than this shower of clones.

Worse still, It hurts my head to think people can be so simple minded to listen to this generic drivel. Actually probably best not to think of it. It's a question of intelligence rather than taste really.

I suppose the two bands are just fast food. They're not trying to be art, at least I hope they're not, and music doesn't have to be an intellectual experience every time. They exist for the very same reason there is 'film' and then there are 'the movies', that there is 'cuisine' and there is Mcdonalds. There is art and there is trash. They are popular for the same reason that people pay to go see Meet The Spartans.

Just ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

pinksoir wrote: »
    They are popular for the same reason that people pay to go see Meet The Spartans.

Ah Jaysus they're bad, but that's taking it a bit far! :D

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    So if you're in them, put me on the list, Yea?;)

I haven't been asked to play that one yet but have a rehearsal tonight for the big olympia show in 2 weeks so they may mention it tonight. I can get you on the list no worries though, PM me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus they're bad, but that's taking it a bit far! :D
    Ah, I don't mean that they're equivalent to Meet The Spartans, it's not one or the other, Citizen Cane or Meet The Spartans, I just mean there's a sliding scale and there is a market for them.

Basically, not everything has to be high art.

Off to see what all the fuss about The Coronas is tonight ..... I'll have some rotten tomatoes with me just in case ....

Off to see what all the fuss about The Coronas is tonight ..... I'll have some rotten tomatoes with me just in case ....

Didn't make it to the gig afterwards ..... however my sister did and reckoned they were good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

The fact there is enough people to fill five pages worth of opinion on these two bands means they're doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

ecoli wrote: »
    While the Corona s seem to have more international exposure at this stage i was just wondering which people thought were the greater talent and who will be remembered as the better band?

My opinion:
    Blizzards hands down

They are both absolute sh1te, so neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Carroller

I thought Coronas were very good when I saw them in concert.

Pen1987 wrote: »
    The fact there is enough people to fill five pages worth of opinion on these two bands means they're doing something right.

Doing what right though? A are they good or are they crap debate isnt the sign of a band doing the 'right' thing.

Well it implies people are interested enough to express an opinion .... I'm not sure much more though.

I'm thinking of forming a new band called 'Kinky Ring' .... is anyone interested in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭themonk

need a lead singer .. stage name phil doe:D

themonk wrote: »
    need a lead singer .. stage name phil doe:D

phil doe is pete dohertys half brother btw:o

• Advertisement

I'm thinking of forming a new band called 'Kinky Ring' .... is anyone interested in that?

Bagsy drummer! Rockee Racoon :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

Well it implies people are interested enough to express an opinion .... I'm not sure much more though.

I understand where you're coming from. A lot of smaller bands would love the media profile the Coronas/Blizzards have, and a lot of them would quickly change their style if someone in business promised them that. And to all those about to come in and say "no I would NOT! I would never change the style of my music to appeal to more programmer managers."

Bull****.

A certain percentage, no they would not change.

The majority, lets be honest - a lot of bands playing Dorans, downstairs in W, the Lower Deck etc are not that far from the sound the Blizz or Coronas are producing anyway. If someone "in the business" approached them and told them "if you just change that bass line, take out that line of lyrics with '****' in it. After that I'll get a few promo shots done with my photographer friend and send out a media mailshot about you lot. You'll be on Fm104 in 3 weeks, start rehearsing now - an acoustic version of something by Britney would be great." They jump at it!

Any band playing the general standard indie-band style. i.e guitarist, bassist, drummer, key (optional) a lead singer with long hair and a few catchy choruses. With nothing else (i.e. not post-punk, guitar-solo or different insturment element)... is begging for that to happen them deep down. And there is hundreds of bands out there like that.

PS. I call the lead trumpet role in Kinky Ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Carroller wrote: »
    Saw Coronas at Oxegeen and i though they were very good.

played a good show

Thats and MCD gig. Edit it out before you get in trouble

So who's got the best name then?

Blizzards v Coronas v Kinky Ring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Seen blizzards and coronas live, both very good, imo. Can't see either of em being remembered long term though. 20 years down the line, I can imagine people saying "hey, remember those guys", and the kids not havin a clue who youre talkin about.

And Kinky Ring is a pretty kick-ass name.

Aodan83 wrote: »

And Kinky Ring is a pretty kick-ass name.

Wha-hey!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

+1 with the crapness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

Neither..

Both crap college bands..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

lottodrink wrote: »
    They actually draw in an older fan base as well.. herendous? U into westlife or some rubbish like that!
    Yeah, of course it must mean they're into something like Westlife... ;)
    Or wrong. That causes people to talk too. :)
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    i agree that neither will be remembered. The Blizzards songs are too ****ty and insipid to my ears, which is a shame, because the track Dublin Town (which Mr Brewer should be familiar with) is, imo, an excellent song and is much more interesting than **** like "fantasy" and "trust me, i'm a ****ing doctor".....but they seem content to churn out ****e disposable pop tunes, while their more interesting stuff (Dublin Town for example) is lost as a b-side.
    Gotta pay the bills I suppose.

Anyway, moved from Alternative & Indie, as this is more suited to the general Music forum.

• Advertisement

So who's got the best name then?

Blizzards v Coronas v Kinky Ring

kinky ring by far

whats their first single or album name to be:pac:?

Advertisement