Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blizzards Vs Coronas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

"Slap This'" .... it's a sort of Funky number...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I have seen and met both bands...while I think they are both a bit dull, I prefer the Corona's. The singer has a lovely voice...and the San Diego song is fantastic.
    Was not impressed by the Blizzards at all. I think they played an hour and fifteen minutes...I sat outside for the whole lot. Could hear them perfectly and that was enough for me.
    I found the Corona's more appealing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭tinkletoes

Used to like both bands but now find that their new releases are boring and repetitive of their old songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

..... and Kinky Ring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Rock Dog

The Coronas are talentless,the only reason they are getting anywhere is cos of a band members well connected mam.
    The Blizzards are just like The Village People without the costumes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

is this a fight to the death? can they both lose?

please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

:p Blizzards or Coronas? Is this a new (considerably lesser quality) modern equivalent of Blur or Oasis?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

RichTea wrote: »
    :p Blizzards or Coronas? Is this a new (considerably lesser quality) modern equivalent of Blur or Oasis?

no becuase neither of these 2 can win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

neither? listen to black rebel motor cycle club's album howl or else...nam sayin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭FibbersON

I saw both bands before Christmas, Coronas in Dolans, Limerick. Blizzards in the Academy, Dublin. I have come to the following conclusion, - I will never do anything which will earn the Blizzards money in anyway, their fans and their music are as annoying as each other.

The Coronas on the other hand I thought were excellent live, they connected with the audience and although some of their more main stream songs will die away, I think as an album, what they released was, is and will be a very good album that I will return to every so often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ilovethearsenal

Blizzards by a mile.Excellent band,domino effect,terrific album and i would advise anybody to listen to it,modern contempory and really feel good band.Up there with the best 'live'.Pity they took a break, suppose its a sign of the irish music scene and how pathetic it is.I've no doubt were they english they would be filling arenas.The fact that the lead singer signed for bmg says it all.I really hope they get back together so i can see them again.I would advise anyone to go if they did,they would not be dissapointed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

If it was a football match it would be a boring 0-0 draw.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

If it was a football match it would be a boring 0-0 draw.

this is the funniest post i've read in a long time. I wish more people would see it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

suppose its a sign of the irish music scene and how pathetic it is.I've no doubt were they english they would be filling arenas.
    Like Arsenal?

And U2?

Dudess wrote: »
    Like Arsenal?

And U2?

Arsenal has nothing to do with this.

U2 left the Irish music scene decades ago,they had to make it england and america first and were lucky at the time they started out witht the support of other bands i.e. boomtown rats..
    The blizzards are up there with the best irish bands of the last 20 years.. Young lads singing about not so serious things, that do not take life so seriously. The song 'domino effect' is one of the best songs i have heard. The script had to leave ireland to make it... Remember the thrills, making it in america at the moment, just a fact at how backward this country is, and how ****.
    Hows the music scene in cork?? crystal swing are the new big thing?

In relation to the 0-0 comment,simplicity or ignorence?Cannot say i love the coronas but they are ok, if you have ever seen the blizzards live you would know how good they are, best live act in this country 2 years in a row cannot be bad.Open your mind.

Small mindedness of this country pisses me off. bottom line blizzards are a very good band, a modern band. Too bad most of ireland still live in the dark ages

U2 left the Irish music scene decades ago,they had to make it england and america first and were lucky at the time they started out witht the support of other bands i.e. boomtown rats..
    The blizzards are up there with the best irish bands of the last 20 years.. Young lads singing about not so serious things, that do not take life so seriously. The song 'domino effect' is one of the best songs i have heard. The script had to leave ireland to make it... Remember the thrills, making it in america at the moment, just a fact at how backward this country is, and how ****.

In relation to the 0-0 comment,simplicity or ignorence?Cannot say i love the coronas but they are ok, if you have ever seen the blizzards live you would know how good they are, best live act in this country 2 years in a row cannot be bad.Open your mind.

Small mindedness of this country pisses me off. bottom line blizzards are a very good band, a modern band. Too bad most of ireland still live in the dark ages

Could you name me some of the bands from ireland over the last 20 years that you think the blizzards are better than?

You like some many others are confusing people who think they are sh-te as being small minded. They are a mediocre pop band at best, if you honestly think this is the best to come out of ireland i say you've heard very very little of irish music. It's also quite laughable that you call the people simplistic for thinking them boring, how more bland does a band get?

At least crystal swing have novelty value, and the fact that you quote them as a reference to the cork music scene show nothing but ignorance, which is once again ironic.

If you do choose to reply to this, i'd ask you at least answer the first question i asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

I bought The Blizzards latest album cause i thought postcards was fantastic song.

What a let down the album was for me. I wanted to like it, but the songs seemed to be mashed up on a computer with sound effects rather than real music. If the whole album was full of songs like postcards, with none of those silly effects, i would have liked it.

I love seeing Irish bands do well.

They're only young, plenty of time to mature and improve yet.

But to answer the original question. Coronas.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jack in the box

Have seen both play about 3 times, both are great live bands, really get the crowd going. If you dont listen to their music/know their music your obviously gonna think they are crap.

Ilovearsenal, i agree with your comment, if they were english they would be doing a lot better in the music industry.

Snow patrol and The Script make music that appeals to vast audiences( young, old etc) Whereas the two mentioned bands probably only appeal to the majority of the younger generation hense the reason why the two are getting so much stick

Anyone see 100 Greatest Kerrang Songs Ever last week? 30 Seconds From Mars - Kings and Queens was number one, think Pearl Jam - Jeremy was number 79, says a lot???????????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

bottom line blizzards are a very good band, a modern band. Too bad most of ireland still live in the dark ages

I wouldn't consider them "modern" in the sense they're not really pushing things forward in terms of their sound, I would consider Passion Pit or somebody like that a bit more modern. I find Blizzards a bit derivative, if they had anything that made them stand out they would break other markets like the UK. Over here they've only broken Ireland because 1. they're Irish and 2. they're radio friendly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

I think the Blizzards are better musicians however Danny in the Coronas is a fantastic tallent. It runs in the family. Mary Black is his mother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Exact same principle - the LoI doesn't get the same support here as Premiership teams do.
    The blizzards are up there with the best irish bands of the last 20 years..
    In your opinion, which is cool, but it doesn't make you right - or wrong.
    Can't see the relevance, but... no?
    In relation to the 0-0 comment,simplicity or ignorence?
    Opinion?
    if you have ever seen the blizzards live you would know how good they are, best live act in this country 2 years in a row cannot be bad.Open your mind.
    "Open your mind" here means "Like what I like". I used to try to persuade people who didn't like The Smiths that this band was amazing and there was no way they couldn't like them if they just checked out more of their stuff - guess what? I was wrong. They still didn't like them. That's the nature of opinions.
    The Blizzards are very bland and generic - it's paradoxical to say people who don't like them are being smallminded and are "living in the dark ages".
    Have seen both play about 3 times, both are great live bands, really get the crowd going. If you dont listen to their music/know their music your obviously gonna think they are crap.
    Well no, you can't really make an informed judgement on something without knowing their stuff. I'd imagine the people here who think they are crap have come to that conclusion based on what they've heard by them.
    Whereas the two mentioned bands probably only appeal to the majority of the younger generation hense the reason why the two are getting so much stick
    It really, really isn't. It's very simply that people here are of the opinion that their music is awful - sigh... Will it ever get through? :(
    Anyone see 100 Greatest Kerrang Songs Ever last week? 30 Seconds From Mars - Kings and Queens was number one, think Pearl Jam - Jeremy was number 79, says a lot???????????
    About what?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Well the Blizzards are good yeah... But they don't encapsulate as much that is wrong with Ireland as the Coronas and because of that I'll have to go with the Coronas. Just for their impact on modern society y'know?

Can't discount that sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

lordgoat wrote: »
    Scorless draw
    26-25 on penalties :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

In relation to the 0-0 comment,simplicity or ignorence?

Nope just simplicity, as in both bands bore the arse off me in the same way a dull nil-nil would.

If this was Whipping Boy vs Future Kings of Spain now THAT would be a cracker. Hmmm I might start that thread.....:pac:

Dudess wrote: »
    Exact same principle - the LoI doesn't get the same support here as Premiership teams do.

In your opinion, which is cool, but it doesn't make you right - or wrong.

Can't see the relevance, but... no?

Opinion?

"Open your mind" here means "Like what I like". I used to try to persuade people who didn't like The Smiths that this band was amazing and there was no way they couldn't like them if they just checked out more of their stuff - guess what? I was wrong. They still didn't like them. That's the nature of opinions.

The Blizzards are very bland and generic - it's paradoxical to say people who don't like them are being smallminded and are "living in the dark ages".

Well no, you can't really make an informed judgement on something without knowing their stuff. I'd imagine the people here who think they are crap have come to that conclusion based on what they've heard by them.

It really, really isn't. It's very simply that people here are of the opinion that their music is awful - sigh... Will it ever get through? :(

About what?

Open your mind means there is more to irish music than u2. I never said like what i like so cop on. I would only recommend the blizzards, not trying to force them on anybody,but they are different to any other irish band.

The blizzards are bland?Actually do a little research before you jump in with an opinion.They are different.If you dont like them then ok but to say they are bland is a joke.I think the use of a dictionary might be an idea.

People on here may think they are awful, some thats fair enough but i promiseyou alot do not know the first clue about them.

There is so much crap music at the moment, lyrics that do not mean anything,same stuff over and over.The blizzards make no bones about it,their lyricsare simple,they dont sings crap about depressing things that no one wants to hear.They about light hearted things,theirmusic is completely'fresh', life is to be enjoyed and not to be to be taking to seriously and thats the impression they're music gives me. The fact that while they are on this break their lead singer is writing for one of the biggest music labels in the world says it all.

It's a shame that there is no music market in ireland, bands like them and the delorentos deserve better for the good music they make

I wouldn't consider them "modern" in the sense they're not really pushing things forward in terms of their sound, I would consider Passion Pit or somebody like that a bit more modern. I find Blizzards a bit derivative, if they had anything that made them stand out they would break other markets like the UK. Over here they've only broken Ireland because 1. they're Irish and 2. they're radio friendly

Passion Pit are in a different genre altogether, they are modern and i really like them but they are more 'funk' whereas the blizzards would be borderline 'punk','alternative','indie' I would advise you to give the song domino effect ago if you have not already because part of it are similar pasion pits stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Passion Pit are in a different genre altogether, they are modern and i really like them but they are more 'funk' whereas the blizzards would be borderline 'punk','alternative','indie' I would advise you to give the song domino effect ago if you have not already because part of it are similar pasion pits stuff.

picture.php?albumid=1121&pictureid=5785

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

hang on a second there bald eagle thats a slight exaggeration to say the least.

in relation to the bands i rather stab myself in the ears with a spoon than listen to either of them but i suppose you got to respect their management for getting mediocre bands that far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Indie and alternative are not genres. I don't care how many people brandish the phrase 'Alternative Rock' around the place.

At best its an umbrella term for a lot of rock genres which sound nothing like each other

• Advertisement

Open your mind means there is more to irish music than u2. I never said like what i like so cop on. I would only recommend the blizzards, not trying to force them on anybody,but they are different to any other irish band.

The blizzards are bland?Actually do a little research before you jump in with an opinion.They are different.If you dont like them then ok but to say they are bland is a joke.I think the use of a dictionary might be an idea.

People on here may think they are awful, some thats fair enough but i promiseyou alot do not know the first clue about them.

There is so much crap music at the moment, lyrics that do not mean anything,same stuff over and over.The blizzards make no bones about it,their lyricsare simple,they dont sings crap about depressing things that no one wants to hear.They about light hearted things,theirmusic is completely'fresh', life is to be enjoyed and not to be to be taking to seriously and thats the impression they're music gives me. The fact that while they are on this break their lead singer is writing for one of the biggest music labels in the world says it all.

It's a shame that there is no music market in ireland, bands like them and the delorentos deserve better for the good music they make

i love how you completely ignore my previous post. Couldn't answer the tough question. Poor girl.

They're just another crappy pop band. No different to the coronas imo. Yes i've heard them so i can comment on their music. Their lyrics are pedestrian and if you knew anything about music like you laughably claim to do you would know that they are blander than a magnolia coloured wall.

Again if you're going to reply to this, have the intelligence to think before you do and respond to my last post.

Advertisement