Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Breakfast in Cork City

Options
  • 26-11-2008 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭

Hey i'm on my way to Cork tomorrow morning, and i need something nice and er . . greasy to get my day off to a boost when i get down.

Any restaurants or pubs would ye suggest has the best breakfast fry in the centre of town?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Tony's Bistro comes to mind.

However I am someone who will eat anything for Breakfast, so 4 star pizza. Lennoxes. Anything can be breakfast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Nash's 19 on cook street, just off the south mall. Nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dazzlermac

tonys bistro has to be the one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Dob74 wrote: »
    Nash's 19 on cook street, just off the south mall. Nice

+1 for nash 19. its really nice and the people in there are well sound. Free tea and coffee refills too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Just a shame that Kafkas moved to Blackpool. Their breakfast was the job.

Tonys is probably the one now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Might get laughed at for this but Clancy's is grand for a greasy one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Bully's on Paul Street is one I enjoy, and at a fair price too.

Hardwood is good.

Never been to Tony's Bistro but if it's a greasy fry you are looking for that sounds to be the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Idaho Cafe although it's expensive for what you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

gimmick wrote: »
    Just a shame that Kafkas moved to Blackpool. Their breakfast was the job.

Tonys is probably the one now though.

Kafkas were the business. I was so disappointed when they moved.

Yea Tonys Bistro would probably be your best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Hey cheers lads for all the info - i went to Tony's bistro and had the "james dean" breakfast and it was lovely. :)
    Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Googled this place as was curious about it after eating there. Weird place. Like stopping for something to eat in a midlands town like Moate circa-1984. U2 picture on the wall is hilarious. There was a Michael Jackson tribute of 10% off certain menu items when I was there.

Off the three people who ate dinner there, all of us had a huge amount of oregano poured onto our meals by the chef. One of us ordered a Sprite, another a coke, both were flat. Maybe the breakfast is good but I'd find it hard to recommend this place!

I only ended up there as I wanted to visit the Franciscan Well micro-brew pub and they didn't serve food. Couldn't see any other place to eat near there apart from Supermacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

If you don't want a pile of fat for breakfast Liberty Grill cannot be beaten! :pac:

Edit: I am aware that the OP wants a pile of fat for breakfast!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Malari wrote: »
    If you don't want a pile of fat for breakfast Liberty Grill cannot be beaten! :pac:

QFT.

Am I the only one here who thinks Tony's is garbage?

Just saw donaghs post. Waited around with a friend one time at lunch hour when I worked in the city, being told multiple times the chicken would take "two minnah!". We left and got Chinese instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭glanman

I think tonys is very poor too. Nashs is pretty good alright, tough to get a good breakfast, I find you can cook a better one at home as 90% of places.

Had breakfast in Jurys Hotel on Western Road last year. Was unreal but not sure how much it is to buy as i stayed there the night before. Cereals, Contential, Fry, Eggs, Pastries and Fruit. Self Service but all is cooked up and topped up by the kitchen that is is full view of breakfast room. About 5 mins walk from Grand Parade

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Amicus is decent value, especially for their frys. Bodega is excellent value surprisingly. Eggs benedict is €7, found it nicer than Hardwood's €12 offering. Pancakes are €4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

bia glasta on douglas street is a bit out of the way but breakfast is fab and the price isnt bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭up them Schteps

The best breakfast roll in cork, Cliffords Daybreak by UCC. Or else Kiwi. Both are sensational!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Jimmy1bob

Amicus is decent value, especially for their frys. Bodega is excellent value surprisingly. Eggs benedict is €7, found it nicer than Hardwood's €12 offering. Pancakes are €4.

€12 for Eggs Benedict?? they want to Ostrich eggs!!
    Had the pancakes in Bodega last sunday, only so-so bit stodgy, not tasty.
    Liberty Grill do a Eggs-Benedict for €6.80 and Fenns Quay do one for €5.50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

For those veggies among us, Liberty Grill does 2 eggs done whichever way you want, 2 sides (I usually have mushrooms and avocado), a fresh juice, tea/coffee and sourdough toast. 9.95. NOM NOM. Nash 19's does SAVAGE potato cakes with relish, those and some leaky fried eggs and all the coffee I can gulp down usually comes to about 6 euro.

Anyone else suddenly want breakfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Nash19 is the current top of the Breakfast League for me. It is a bit more expensive but it is top quality food.

Value for money-wise, it would be Dunnes out at the Bishopstown roundabout. In fairness it is good value.

I wouldn't piddle on Debenhams breakfast. When they took over from Roches Stores, there was a quick race to the bottom in the breakfast stakes. Poor quality and more expensive than Dunnes.

As someone else said in a previous post, Clancy's do a good breakfast range as well.

Clancy's and nash19 are both on Princes Street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

Somewhere you wouldn't normally think of going for breakfast - The Imperial Hotel. It's a bit more expensive but I've heard it's an all you can eat buffet so could be worth it for those with big appetites. Think it costs around €12-14

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Sirtoyou

The Clarion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭vag77

the commons inn top notch

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Feeling like a bit of brekkie myself now :)
    Must try Nash19 on Sat - I can nearly see it from where I live..... and never been there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Tony's Bistro = Win

they do an amazing cheese burger with bacon too..m.mmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Feeling like a bit of brekkie myself now :)
    Must try Nash19 on Sat - I can nearly see it from where I live..... and never been there.

Sadly, but incredibly, they don't open on Saturdays or Sundays. However, I think they open from 7.30am Mon-Fri.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mumha wrote: »
    Sadly, but incredibly, they don't open on Saturdays or Sundays. However, I think they open from 7.30am Mon-Fri.

It's because Claire Nash targets her business almost exclusively at the South Mall crowd, and they don't work on weekends.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Mumha wrote: »

Well feck that :mad:
    I only feel like a good fry up after a few beers or on a lazy saturday/sunday morning...

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Puccino's - the Puccino's breakfast is the biz - fine and big, the American is good as well. The only downside in Puccino's is the coffee which is a bit weak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭HaVoC

parsi wrote: »
    Puccino's - the Puccino's breakfast is the biz - fine and big, the American is good as well. The only downside in Puccino's is the coffee which is a bit weak.

what the man said ,the fried spuds are great too :D

The Groves is pretty good too , if your around Blackpool

Advertisement