Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digi Freeview in Donegal Town

Options
  • 26-11-2008 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

does anyone know if you can get signal on digi freeview around donegal , i have a sony tv with freeview build in but only using an indoor aerial just wondering would it be worth my while getting an outdoor aerial to pick up free view

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No idea myself but Im sure byte will be able to answer this later.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Depends where you are. The signal has to be picked up from the Limavady transmitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

oh that could be a problem as the barnes more gap mountains could block me

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Ah, it's Donegal Town you're in. :) Problems alright.

Bloody mountains. :D

I know one guy who has a great picture but he is located up the side of a hill about 3 miles from the Cross. Signal got from Limavady.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

It might be possible to get something from the Fermanagh Direction. Further north Strabane has not been enabled yet. Limavady is and when they all go live they will be boosted also. One thing tho, Digital needs extremely good line of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Have a similar tv in Ballybofey/Killygordon area. Until Strabane goes live, we'll not be able to use the Freeview tuner.

However, we have great reception with the Lidl satellite and reciever, which picks up the Free to Air channels, great job!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

You would need to be very high up to pick up the signals from Brougher Mountain (Fermanagh). Although it can be got as you head out towards Mountcharles, most of the area around Donegal is much too low.

The new Irish Digital service may begin testing from Truskmore shortly but the other bad news is your Freeview TV will need an extra box to receive this.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

am around 90M above sea level could be hit or miss i`d get freeview

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Depends whereabouts in Donegal Town you are. For the most part though, Freeview is a no-go. Especially in near the town (main reason it was cabled years ago). Mountcharles, as mentioned, is mostly good for Freeview from Brougher in Fermanagh. Some houses in Clar pick up a bit of signal "thru the Gap" from Strabane, but no DTT, and signals not high enough anyway.

Whatever chances you have, you've absolutely none with an indoor aerial.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Hetack

deemark wrote: »
    Have a similar tv in Ballybofey/Killygordon area. Until Strabane goes live, we'll not be able to use the Freeview tuner.

However, we have great reception with the Lidl satellite and reciever, which picks up the Free to Air channels, great job!

Hi deemark. Could you post the make and model of the receiver that you have that works?

I'm guessing that all you have to do is connect the receiver to your sky dish? I'm fed up to the teeth paying sky every month!

Cheers

Hetack wrote: »
    Hi deemark. Could you post the make and model of the receiver that you have that works?

I'm guessing that all you have to do is connect the receiver to your sky dish? I'm fed up to the teeth paying sky every month!

Cheers
    Just cancel your sky sub if you have it more than 12 months (you keep the equipment btw) and you will still receive the same channels as you'd get on freeview

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Exactly, contrary to what some believe, you'll still receive free channels on your Sky box, even after you cancel.

After you've cancellled your subscription, go to Sky News, press Red button to go interactive, then remove card from slot. Press Sky button to exit Interactive, and box will start reloading EPG. Now 101 will be BBC1 etc. And BBC 3 etc get added to EPG (Channel 4 and five will still need to be added to "other channels")

Advertisement