Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council Taking Charge of Estate

Options
  • 26-11-2008 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Our development is a few years old now and the estate is due to be taken over by the council. They have informed me, and I confirmed in their documentation that :

"Maintenance of public open spaces (that is, spaces to which the general public
    have access), not including grass cutting or maintenance of grass verges,"

So basically they do not have to cut the grass.
    We have a number of large open grass areas and now I'm wondering who the hell is going to cut them ?
    We could club together as an estate but to be honest we have tried collecting money for various things and 10% or less contribute so I don't see why we should have to pay a lot of money for something everyone benefits from.

Has anyone any experince of this ?
    Is the developer off the hook re grass etc once council takes over ?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

I presume you're in Meath? MCC claim not to have the money to fund a parks department so they don't cut grass in any estate they take over (not too many anyway). If you already have a management company (a legal one, not a residents association or anything like that), it might well be in your interests to retain it just to collect money for grass cutting.

If you don't have one, there's not much you can do. The developer has no say or interest in an estate that has been vested to the council so they won't be any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

The developer was off the hook once he transferred ownership of the common areas to the leaseholders ( / management company), surely?
    It's up to the management company to organise for now, you can possibly force the other residents to pay depending on what sort of lease they have and how the management company is set up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Tipperary actually.

There was no management company so hard to know how we can force people to pay.

I think its a bloody disgrace to be honest. If there was a legal thing there to force people to pay an amount fine but what exactly do they think is going to happen when the developer stops cutting it and they council don't have to ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

alxmorgan wrote: »
    and they council don't have to ?
    What exactly do the council do if they aren't cutting grass? I know they do damn all else around our estate, not that theres much that needs doing. Can you take them to task over it, I'm sure there are more residents and estates in this situation than yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

What exactly do the council do if they aren't cutting grass? I know they do damn all else around our estate, not that theres much that needs doing. Can you take them to task over it, I'm sure there are more residents and estates in this situation than yourselves.

I'd love to but how exactly do I go about it.
    I was talking to a guy in the council yesterday and he says they don't cut grass anywhere in the county. And its on their official documentation too.
    Any ideas welcome cause its a bloody disgrace.

• Advertisement
Advertisement