Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Warranty on a 05 car

Options
  • 26-11-2008 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭

Hi, am thinking of buying a 05 Mondeo from am independent dealer at the weekend. What type of a warranty would I be able to push him on. I would like more than the usual 3 months engine and gearbox standard. Is this realistic or is this all anyone is offering now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Hi, am thinking of buying a 05 Mondeo from am independent dealer at the weekend. What type of a warranty would I be able to push him on. I would like more than the usual 3 months engine and gearbox standard. Is this realistic or is this all anyone is offering now?

From an indy, I'd say 6 is max.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

3 to 6 months normally......you know if you bought one in from UK..they have 3 year standard..so you would get the balance of that, plus, i believe you can pay to extend it by a year if the mileage is low...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

tred wrote:
    i believe you can pay to extend it by a year if the mileage is low...
    Whats the story with that, could I not get them to throw that in as part of the deal. Surely they'd be able to pay for it less VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Whats the story with that, could I not get them to throw that in as part of the deal. Surely they'd be able to pay for it less VAT

you can only do that in main dealers before the existing warranty is up. Ford allowed us do it wiht 2 cars, we only procedded with one. Once the warranty is up, that was it. the warranty ur getting of this guy, is sort of like an insurance policy they take out the longer the policy, the more they pay i guess..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

I think you are better off buying the best car you can for the best price possible, and if you can put 1.5k -2k away you should be well covered.

When I was buying my car I had the option of a 12mth warranty and new tyres or 2k extra and semi baldy tyres and sold as seen. I took the money. 3 years later I needed to call on 1200 of it for a new flywheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭niamh.brady

Hi Cullenswood, official Toyota dealerships will offer 12 month warranty on any car under 8 years old without crazy mileage. I bough a 03 VW bora this summer and they covered it. The warranty covers any toyota garage in the country and has free breakdown assistance. It's the best i could find withiut buying new!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Grand. I managed to get a 2 year warranty from an indy last year on a 05 Focus. Was just wondering was this a norm

Advertisement