Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Breaks are locked, siezed?

Options
  • 26-11-2008 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭

Just got into the car (mk1 focus),pressed the brake peddle once and the brakes are solid won't budge. Anyone have experience bleeding brakes? there's a small valve on the caliper and I have more brake fluid if it needs a top up. I was planning on changing the pads, had put it off and now this. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I suspect, as you say you were planning to change the pads, that one or other of them has worn so far that it's allowed a piston to extend so far out of the calliper that it's now unable to retract, or something similar along those lines.
    It could also be a master cylinder/pedal problem, but I'm leaning towards a piston/pad issue.

Jack up your wheels one at a time and see which one is jammed, and inspect and go on from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

is it just the handbrake thats seized ?? has the car been sitting in one spot for a while ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Was the day lying up for a while???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Correct me if I am wrong but if you have air in your brake system problem should be that pedal goes all the way down, if the pedal is completely hard then most likely pads are connecting the disks all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Rovi is right. Handbrake is down and I managed to remove drivers side pads but caliper won't retract, therefore can't mount it back onto the wheel hub. Car is used regulary enough.

• Advertisement

Hal1 wrote: »
    Rovi is right. Handbrake is down and I managed to remove drivers side pads but caliper won't retract, therefore can't mount it back onto the wheel hub. Car is used regulary enough.

Is it front or rear pads you are changing??? If rear, you'll need a wind back tool to wind back the calipers.

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Is it front or rear pads you are changing??? If rear, you'll need a wind back tool to wind back the calipers.

Front pads. I have another 2 ton jack should I jack up the other side and inspect it too?

Front pads. I have another 2 ton jack should I jack up the other side and inspect it too?

Yeah but also use axle stands. Don't ever get under a car that is just being held up with a jack...

If you can't get the piston back, it's most likely the piston is seized. What happens is if you let the pads wear down too far, you get a huge amount of heat generated at the metal pad & disc surface (because there is no more pad lining left), and this can cause the piston to get almost get welded to the caliper sleeve. I've seen this happen once recently on a Focus. You're most likely looking at a new caliper on that side. Some motor factors will do an exhange for you, you leave in the old caliper, they give you a recon one. I think I paid around 60 quid for a recon caliper recently enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭blackbox

How many wheels are seized?

If no wheels will rotate it is probably a problem with the master cylinder.

Problem solved. I bleed the brakes and was able to push the caliper piston back in. Pads on, topped up brake fluid and pumped brakes. Looking good thanks for all the help and suggestions. The pads where in bits there was a skim of rubber left, will post a pic later. :)

• Advertisement

Problem solved. I bleed the brakes and was able to push the caliper piston back in. Pads on, topped up brake fluid and pumped brakes. Looking good thanks for all the help and suggestions. The pads where in bits there was a skim of rubber left, will post a pic later. :)

Hang on, did you not open the brake fluid reservoir before trying to push back the caliper!?! If you didn't, maybe this is why you couldn't push back the caliper???

First thing I done was open the fluid reservoir, then I push caliper piston back in and it shot its load literally :pac:. I made sure not to get any on the paintwork so far so good.

First thing I done was open the fluid reservoir, then I push caliper piston back in and it shot its load literally :pac:. I made sure not to get any on the paintwork so far so good.

I had this before where I put a piston back in and it ended up getting stuck again. Just keep an eye on it.

Will do thanks Darragh29.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Hang on, did you not open the brake fluid reservoir before trying to push back the caliper!?! If you didn't, maybe this is why you couldn't push back the caliper???
    I remember I did this before and it dawned on me that it was cloased, I went to open it and brake fluid burst all over me:D

Advertisement