Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me calculate Christmas Tree lights pls!

Options
  • 26-11-2008 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

So if I have a 10 foot tree - how long should the string of Christmas Tree lights be to make sure it looks adequately twinkly?! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

I worked it out this way:

Assume for the sake of calculation that you have a few strings of lights 10ft long. Also assume that the diameter of the tree at its widest is approx 5 - 6ft. If you were to hang the lights from the tip of the tree to the bottom, you would probably need about 8 - 10 lengths in order to cover the tree all the way round with about a foot in between each length at the bottom, which is about 80ft - 100ft for quite a twinkly tree :). I aint no professional mathematician (and I'm sure someone who is, will offer a comment here too) but that's my suggestion. I hope it's accurate if you try it...

I'd also suggest trying it with a length of twine or string first and see how it works out, just in case, in fact that's probably a better thing to do do than my random calculation but I'll submit it anyway...

Twinkly Head

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Thank you kind Twinkly Head.

I'll try to make an estimation on that basis. Unfortunately I won't get to see the tree in advance (this is for work!) so won't be able to get at it with some string.

Advertisement