Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

straw bedding

Options
  • 26-11-2008 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Just a quick question for every body.
    i wondering where do people get straw fbedding and hay feed for their pets?
    I got some on yesterday and though the price of it was very expensive.
    i know it was nicely packed at all but all these things can add up.
    so where do people get their straw and how much on average do people spend?

regards

TED

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Just a quick question for every body.
    i wondering where do people get straw fbedding and hay feed for their pets?
    I got some on yesterday and though the price of it was very expensive.
    i know it was nicely packed at all but all these things can add up.
    so where do people get their straw and how much on average do people spend?

regards

TED

Depends on the brand of hay / straw you get.

You can get barley straw in Petland on Camden Street in Dublin that Small animals loves, its €6.50 and thats for about 5KGs worth.

Normally for feed and for bedding for our 5 Guinea Pigs we get hay from my wife's uncles farm. €3 for a massive bail which would make up about 5 or 6 black plastic bags worth.

Emmo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If it's for small animals like guineapigs or rabbits never use straw, it can cause eye injuries and isn't as absorbant as hay can be sharp. It's a waste of money anyway if you use hay as well.

For guineapigs and rabbits a thick layer of newspaper and then plenty of hay on top (and a hay rack if possible) is the most practical bedding.

Hay is cheap esp. if you buy a bale or two from a farmer or if not you can buy it in hardware shops sometimes cheaper than pet shops. Tesco also do it, it's not the most wonderful hay but it is ok.

Cheapest way to get hay is in a square bale from a farm, some people store it in an old pillow case or a duvet cover or food bin. If there's a garden shed with some space it's worth while going out of the way to buy a couple of bales over winter for smallies, as long as the hay smells fresh, isn't moldy or very dusty. A square bale of hay can cost as little as 4 euro and will last for ages compared to the bags of hay in pet shops.
    When we had a lot of guineas we used to buy it in bales and it saves a fortune.

Also try zooplus.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

If you're anywhere near Duleek then you can get prepacked bales of hay and straw called Kosibed from Brendas Pets. I'd imagine you can probably order it online there and have it delivered too.

It's 9.95 for a decent size bale - several times the size of the next largest ones you can get. It's great stuff too - Brenda started stocking it after I discovered it for sale somewhere else and yabbered on about how much I liked it :)

Advertisement