Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Expired Licence & no NCT - Caught !!

Options
  • 26-11-2008 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Dear all,

Ive been a fool x 100%

I have been driving on an expired 1st Provisionl Liscense for the past 7 years.
    I was never been pulled before and it has been the skeleton in my closet for a long time . I have no excuse. None whatsoever.
    Was caught this morning with no NCT. I have 10 days in which to bring license & insurance cert to station, followed by NCT cert in Dec ( when test is due )
    Im prepared for the book to be thrown at me. Was going to head to the station tomorrow and just own up to everything and basically try and plead my very sorry sad case.
    My question i suppose is.. has anyone come across a case like this before and will i be facing an automatic ban from driving.

Thanks for any replies..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Deserved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Bring a hockey helmet with you , they're not going to just throw the book at you. They're going to bounce it off your head, repeatedly.

You have been driving without a licence for 7 years !!! Quite simply, you're in shit.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

Niamh:>) wrote: »
    My question i suppose is.. has anyone come across a case like this before ...
    :eek:
    Nope - never met a fool that foolish before.

But -by god- are you lucky you never had a reason to make a claim up to now!
    Suggest you go cap in hand to the station ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I love the smell of karma

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

:eek:what the hell were you telling your insurance company ?? was just talking about this at lunch actually, wondering how many people are lieing to insurance companies just to get a useless expensive piece of paper on their windscreen. hope you weren't paying for comprehensive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

FFS. That's probably one of the most stupid things I've ever read on this site. Are you a complete idiot?

Everyone can let a license expire accidentally, but you've ignored it deliberately for the last 7 years. That's not a skeleton in the closet, that's a criminal offense.

I'm sorry to generalise, but people like you are also the most likely to ignore requirements for insurance also so I really do hope you're hammered in the court. I really do.

And don't let the gob****es who'll come along shortly writing about 'the high horse brigade' give you some sense of relief. There are many idiots, and just as many who'll make excuses for them.

You've no excuse. You're a prime opportunity for the courts to set an example, and if you're really lucky, you'll be famous for all the wrong reasons.

I'm deadly serious about this bit - You could get jail time.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

JoeySully wrote: »
    :eek:what the hell were you telling your insurance company ?? was just talking about this at lunch actually, wondering how many people are lieing to insurance companies just to get a useless expensive piece of paper on their windscreen. hope you weren't paying for comprehensive?

+1

did you actually have insurance? my insurance company look for a copy of drivers licence every year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

When I got insurance I had to fax in a copy of my licence
    Do companies not ask for this? Have you been with the same company for the last 7 years?

Got to be honest - I'm kind of expecting a response from our OP along the lines of:
    "...car insurance? what's that for?"

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Niamh:>)

I know...

Ive been telling the insurance company that I have a provisional licence, paying 3rd party fire & theft.

Will head to station and place said helmet on.

I let things get to this place and blame no one but myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

I'm guessing she either wasn't insured, or went with Quinn Direct. Quinn operate on an 'honour' policy (ha ha ha) where they only request your license if you have an accident....

Then they'll pay out if instructed to by the courts and sue you for the losses.

Fact.

Edit: Actually, she WASN'T insured. Not without a valid license she wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

This must be a troll, surely no one is that f**king stupid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

kensutz wrote: »
    Deserved!

I hear a herd of high horses approaching...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

My advice is get a taxi to the Garda station because you definitely won't be driving home.

You should get a license, or at least apply* for it. BRing the letter of acceptance along with your Insurance Cert to the Garda station too. Hand them both in and just be honest. Its going to come out in the end so the only hope you have is to be honest and get the Guard on your side, as much as is possible in a case like this, in the courtroom.

You WILL receive a ban from driving, the only question is for how long. Doing everything right now could be difference between a five year ban and a two year ban.

*Applying for the license is necessary because the ban only starts when you actually get your license so the quicker you have it to hand over on receiving the ban the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,938 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I had to send a copy of my license when I first got insurance, but never on renewal. OP could have been with the same company for the last 8 years.

Gotta love all the helpful replys.

Id be surprised if you get banned. I would expect a fine and possibly some points.
    Don't make things worse by not producing the license and insurance.

You have two options. Produce your invalid license and insurance and hope they don't notice the expiry date.

Or

Explain the situation with regards to the license as well as doing the above.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    I'm guessing she either wasn't insured, or went with Quinn Direct. Quinn operate on an 'honour' policy (ha ha ha) where they only request your license if you have an accident....

Then they'll pay out if instructed to by the courts and sue you for the losses.

Fact.

You sure about that. If I remember correctly from my days using quinn, as long as you are not disqualified then it doesn't matter that your license expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Afaik, if a provisional license has expired for 5+ years you have to complete the theory test again and start from square one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Expired 1st Provisional....

Oh god...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You are insured. The wording on the policy will be..... Provided you hold a driving licence or having held a licence, are not disqualified from holding such licence so unless you are banned you are ok (to a point) insurance wise. What I mean is the gardai cannot do you for driving without insurance. If you had a claim, well once they sell you that piece of paper, they are legally bound to pay other party claims against you no matter what. They could however refuse to pay any claim from yourself if they thought you misled them.
    I guess you will be looking a the fine for no licence and possibly no NCT. Oh and yes, you should have a qualified driver with you given the licence you did have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I've never been asked for a copy of my license when looking for insurance, not in Ireland and not in the UK either.

Anyhoo, OP, you need to just admit it. You may go to court and end up banned and having to pay a fine. However, you should go in person to the licensing office and apply for a second provisional ASAP. By going in person you stand a better chance of getting it done a bit more quickly iirc (could be wrong, it's been a while since I had to do this).

Then get some damn lessons*, sit a test and don't worry about it ever again.

Also, as the others have said your insurance could be voided by your lack of a license. If you or someone else was hurt in an accident you would have no comeback and would be personally liable for everything. Think about it.

*The reason I say get some lessons is because driving for your test is a different ball game to driving on a daily basis. It's not difficult but it requires you doing everything the 'correct' way (e.g. hands 10-2 on the wheel for the duration of the journey unless changing gears or using hand signals...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

You WILL receive a ban from driving, the only question is for how long. Doing everything right now could be difference between a five year ban and a two year ban.

How exactly are the Guards going to bring a case if the OP does not run down and confess all? All she can be done for is driving without a license on that day. The only people who know the seven year story are us.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Stufinnegan

I found myself in a similar situation a few years ago (not quite 7 years though). My advise is for you to go to the Garda that pulled you. Explain the situation. This will end up in court anyway. In the mean time, apply for your licence. I don't know weather you can get to the point of sitting your driving test before your court date. If you can it will serve you better. I managed to do this and then represented myself in court. The Judge saw that I got off my arse and fixed the issue, I ended up with two points for the original speeding offence (which is why I was pulled in the beginning) and the rest was thrown out of court. The fact that I had been up front with the garda and the Judge seemed to buy alot of kudos.

mickdw wrote: »
    You are insured. The wording on the policy will be..... Provided you hold a driving licence or having held a licence, are not disqualified from holding such licence so unless you are banned you are ok (to a point) insurance wise. What I mean is the gardai cannot do you for driving without insurance. If you had a claim, well once they sell you that piece of paper, they are legally bound to pay other party claims against you no matter what. They could however refuse to pay any claim from yourself if they thought you misled them.
    I guess you will be looking a the fine for no licence and possibly no NCT. Oh and yes, you should have a qualified driver with you given the licence you did have.

Yep , don't forget to add the 1000 for not having a qualified driver...

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Niamh:>)

yes, i am with Quinn Direct and accept all of the above comments.
    As i said, I have no excuse and I know i will be taking a very heavy punishment. I am not a troll, at this point I wish i was making it up.

I dont think anyone is going to get on any high horses about my story.

I'd say your looking at a very hefty fine , and a few points.. but not much more...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Also, how long does it take to get a licence, If you could get a theory test today, you could probably have a licence to produce. you could then tell them, it had ran out when you checked it but renewed striaght way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I have 10 days in which to bring license & insurance cert to station, followed by NCT cert in Dec ( when test is due ).

When the Garda asked you to bring your licence and insurance to the station, did you say "ok" or did you say "acutally, I don't have a valid licence".

If you said "ok" and are now intending to go in to the Garda, cap in hand, and say "actually..... I don't have a licence after all (for the last 7 years)", I would expect you'll be in a pretty serious situation.

Driving ban seems likely alright.

I know...

Ive been telling the insurance company that I have a provisional licence, paying 3rd party fire & theft.

Will head to station and place said helmet on.

I let things get to this place and blame no one but myself.

Do let us know how you get on.......
    Or alternatively, we'll watch out for posts from a new User: Niamh:<(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Zube wrote: »
    How exactly are the Guards going to bring a case if the OP does not run down and confess all? All she can be done for is driving without a license on that day. The only people who know the seven year story are us.
    They can, and quiet possibly will check her insurance history. It isn't hard to see how long she has been insured and check that against her license expiry date. If she is caught out she will have no comeback but being up front and honest from the start might just save her

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement