Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Expired Licence & no NCT - Caught !!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sprinklesspanky

The car was insured, right?

At any rate you'd be amazed how lenient judges can be. I'd get a solicitor as soon as possible and take his advice.

I've been caught up before in a similar situation my solicitor is Frank Buttimer in Cork I would highly recommend his law firm, they do a great job and charged a very reasonable fee.

You got caught, you have to play the game now and pay the legal system it's due. You'll get fined possibly banned for one year I'd say at worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    Quinn operate on an 'honour' policy (ha ha ha)

lol :D
    Many people would say they don't operate very honorably themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Niamh:>)

Just to come back to one point.

I will be applying straight away for 2nd Learner permit, but as its out of date, I will have to sit the driver theory test again. Next available date is the 20th of Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Niamh:>) wrote: »

I will be applying straight away for 2nd Learner permit, but as its out of date, I will have to sit the driver theory test again. Next available date is the 20th of Dec.

Actually it's your first permit. You will also need 6 months before you do your test.

The car is insured, as in insured with Quinn Direct.
    This I assume is voided anyway due to license " situation ".

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

oh your insurance is going to go through the roof, if you get banned from driving

The car is insured, as in insured with Quinn Direct.
    This I assume is voided anyway due to license " situation ".

No , as long as your not banned the 3rd party bit of your insurance will still be in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Well take note that you CANNOT drive unaccompanied!

I was talking to an ADI the other day. At the end of the year, a new law is coming in so that learners can ONLY be accompanied by an ADI. This brings us into line with Germany and is long, long overdue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

They can, and quiet possibly will check her insurance history.

It's not a crime to have insurance and no license.

andrewh5 wrote: »
    I was talking to an ADI the other day. At the end of the year, a new law is coming in so that learners can ONLY be accompanied by an ADI. This brings us into line with Germany and is long, long overdue.

bull plop

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

whats an ADI?

I told the guard that i would produce insurance cert to station along with license yes..
    I will let everyone know how i get on.

AudiChris wrote: »
    When the Garda asked you to bring your licence and insurance to the station, did you say "ok" or did you say "acutally, I don't have a valid licence".

If you said "ok" and are now intending to go in to the Garda, cap in hand, and say "actually..... I don't have a licence after all (for the last 7 years)", I would expect you'll be in a pretty serious situation.

Driving ban seems likely alright.

The license expired so I doubt a judge would ban you for that.

There are no serious offenses connected with with this so there is a possibility of it not reaching court or getting thrown out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Since your licence is over five years out-of-date, you'll have to do a theory test (and an eye-test too - as far as I know, this will be classed as your first learner permit). Apply for that immediately. It's unlikely that you'll get a test within the next ten days, but, depending on how much of a brass neck you have (and let's face it, you clearly have), you might get away with just telling the Gardai that you've applied to renew your 'expired' (omit the 'seven-years' part, maybe) provisional licence, and you're waiting for it to arrive.

Yes, I have neck - im not disagreeing with anyone here whatsoever.
    Of course part of me would be like to try and get away with this but i will have to come 100 % clean and take all that comes with that. I live 20 miles from work on a country road for the most part and so have no use of public transport. Will most certainly lose my job ( hands are shaking now but anyway )
    In every other aspect of my life, i would be considered a model citizen, apart from this flagrant dissregard of the law - again im trying not to make any excuse.
    I will leave now.. thanks for very quick replies.

Niamh

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If asked in court let the judge know that you will almost certainly lose your job if you lose your license and usually, depending on his mood, will be granted a large fine in lieu of banning. Or at least thats what happened to me.

Large fine for a large tool would be the easier option alright. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Well best of luck with it anyways. Make sure to let us know how ya get on.

P.S Ignore some of the comments here. Some tend to equate a small driving offense thats hurting no one, to a mass murdering spree. There's a very little amount of people that are fully legal drivers, and some people forget that. Ye without sin and all that. ;)

I will come back to everyone here, if i do come across the other side of this.
    It was the most foolish & dangerous thing i have ever done. I need a brain transplant. Hopefully, i can work something out and do my punishment without having to lose my job.

I didnt expect a pat on the back .. im mortified this has happened at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Stufinnegan

Q2002 wrote: »

P.S Ignore some of the comments here. Some tend to equate a small driving offense thats hurting no one, to a mass murdering spree. There's a very little amount of people that are fully legal drivers, and some people forget that. Ye without sin and all that. ;)

Indeed, you came on here looking for advise and ended up at your own stoning. I didn't realise how many people on this board were qualified Judges.....Anyhoo all the best, remember to just confess all, and when you go to court have an impact statement prepared. I don't think this will be as bad as you imagine or most of the "holier than thou's" are predicting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

if you had admitted all offences when you were stopped, a judge might have been a bit more lenient

now you are in a situation of having effectively pleaded not guilty to:

no licence for 7 years
    no nct
    no insurance (will be void under the UTMOST GOOD FAITH principle)
    no tax (the void insurance will technically void the tax)

looking very bad, prison sentence even a possibility??? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Good luck getting it sorted and let us know how you get on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I will come back to everyone here, if i do come across the other side of this.
    It was the most foolish & dangerous thing i have ever done. I need a brain transplant. Hopefully, i can work something out and do my punishment without having to lose my job.

I didnt expect a pat on the back .. im mortified this has happened at all.
    Niamh, why/how did you let it go so long? Surely there's some fathomable reason you never bothered renewing all those times? Or what about even applying for the test, were you not concerned with ever getting the full license?

It just beggars belief tbh, and raises more questions than answers. There is a high horse brigade around here, no doubt about it, but I don't think even the most honorable of poster would dare defend this situation. It's truly bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭Homer

if you had admitted all offences when you were stopped, a judge might have been a bit more lenient

now you are in a situation of having effectively pleaded not guilty to:

no licence for 7 years
    no nct
    no insurance (will be void under the UTMOST GOOD FAITH principle)
    no tax (the void insurance will technically void the tax)

What a ridiculous unhelpful post that was! Well done..

Q2002 wrote: »

Are ye mad? Unaccompanied, unqualified drivers place their and other road users lives at risk every time they go on the road! No other EU country allows it!! Neither should we have ever done so!

Niamh, if you get a long ban you have no-one to blame but yourself. Whatever happens, you CANNOT drive unaccompanied anymore!

But, im not defending it at all..

I left it go, left it go and let it go again... always thinking about it and never doing anything about it. I really dont why. Ive a few questions for myself on that score alright..

whats an ADI?

Approved Driving Instructor.

jhegarty wrote: »
    bull plop

Oh no it isn't. It is phase 2 of the new learner permit laws which come into effect on Dec 31st.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Not a fcuking chance. Get real.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Homer wrote: »
    What a ridiculous unhelpful post that was! Well done..

okay, maybe I'm over-reacting a bit, but cannot have any sympathy and whatever punishment she fdoes get she fully deserves

the one positive is that I get the impression that she'll learn from her mistakes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement