Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Expired Licence & no NCT - Caught !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Are ye mad? Unaccompanied, unqualified drivers place their and other road users lives at risk every time they go on the road! No other EU country allows it!! Neither should we have ever done so!

Niamh, if you get a long ban you have no-one to blame but yourself. Whatever happens, you CANNOT drive unaccompanied anymore!
    She drove for 7 years and never needed her license so I'm assuming she has never been in an accident. I understand that driving without a license is illegal and is a no-no, but the truth is that she never hurt anyone, and IMHO should not lose her job over it. Its not a massive crime and merely a technicality/oversight on the OP's behalf.

I know and realize it could've very easily been a different outcome with an unqualified driver going out not able to drive and ploughing through a crowded bus stop killing several people. There is a difference between being unqualified to drive and being unable!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Niamh:>) wrote: »
    I live 20 miles from work on a country road for the most part and so have no use of public transport. Will most certainly lose my job

what i dont understand, were in the country in June, when all the learner drivers were screaming they would be put off the road and the full licenced people were screaming - no more then you deserve

Did you not think at that point, when there was supposed to be millions of checkpoints around the place, to sort it out.

i am sorry you have had since October 2007 to sort this out

i am afraid i cant feel any sympathy for you. people like you are the reason the new law were put in place

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Folks, the OP has admitted she was a fool, can you please move on from the personal attacks and bollockings, and try to focus on the original question / topic? kthxbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

No point kicking you any further abotu your silly actions.

But are you drivin the car still - if so get off the road, you are not insured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Zube wrote: »
    How exactly are the Guards going to bring a case if the OP does not run down and confess all? All she can be done for is driving without a license on that day. The only people who know the seven year story are us.

Exactly. If I were in her shoes I certainly wouldn't be making that particular fact known and anyhow it is irrelevant to the charges being brought.
    I'd be surprised if there was anything other than a 3 month ban and a fine. She certainly won't receive prison time (unless she doesn't pay the fine)...the local papers here are full with court reports of people being done for no insurance/license/tax/NCT and walking off with 1000 euro fines and points/endorsements, some of them repeat offenders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I live 20 miles from work on a country road for the most part and so have no use of public transport. Will most certainly lose my job ( hands are shaking now but anyway )

My guess (and this is only a guess) is that you'll be pleasantly surprised at the outcome. Be cooperative with the guards, but maybe it's best that you don't volunteer any information about the exact expiry date of your licence unless they ask you. In the unlikely event that you do end up in court, your otherwise unblemished record should stand you in good stead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

No point kicking you any further abotu your silly actions.

But are you drivin the car still - if so get off the road, you are not insured.

WRONG!!

So many people jumping to assumptions with regard to insurance.. As was mentioned by another poster, insurance is valid once you hold a current license, OR held one previously and are not disqualified from holding one.

While I dont condone the OP's lack of judgement in not renewing their license, my own father's provisional license expired in 1981 and he only applied for a second provisional last year and has since got his full license. He has been driving since then without accident and had never been asked to produce a licence.. He was stupid not to apply for it before then, but he kept putting it off.

Anyway, explain it to the Garda, he will more than likely charge you, and will end up in court in 6-8 months time. Plenty of time to get a full license. Show up in court plead our case with the judge and you should hopefully only receive a hefty fine for it.

Wertz wrote: »
    Exactly. If I were in her shoes I certainly wouldn't be making that particular fact known and anyhow it is irrelevant to the charges being brought.
    I'd be surprised if there was anything other than a 3 month ban and a fine. She certainly won't receive prison time (unless she doesn't pay the fine)...the local papers here are full with court reports of people being done for no insurance/license/tax/NCT and walking off with 1000 euro fines and points/endorsements, some of them repeat offenders.

You are living in fantasy land mate.

I'll eat my hat if she get banned. :pac:

Small fine and points is most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Niamh:>)

But surely they will notice the expiry date on my license when i head to the station tomorrow. If i dont volunteer the info ,wont it make things worse.

Im scared as hell now and should be by all accounts. Iy Doesnt mean im going to try and run away from this. My running and avoiding serious issues are behind me now. I just cant lose my job over this...

But surely they will notice the expiry date on my license when i head to the station tomorrow. If i dont volunteer the info ,wont it make things worse.

Im scared as hell now and should be by all accounts. Iy Doesnt mean im going to try and run away from this. My running and avoiding serious issues are behind me now. I just cant lose my job over this...

I'd practice your surprised face in case they do cop it;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

from wiki:

Uberrima fides
    (sometimes seen in its genitive form uberrimae fidei) is a Latin phrase meaning "utmost good faith" (literally, "most abundant faith"). It is the name of a legal doctrine which governs insurance contracts. This means that all parties to an insurance contract must deal in good faith, making a full declaration of all material facts in the insurance proposal.

Not having a valid licence is a pretty material fact imo, and would render the insurance policy void

• Registered Users Posts: 68,991 ✭✭✭✭L1011

micmclo wrote: »
    When I got insurance I had to fax in a copy of my licence
    Do companies not ask for this? Have you been with the same company for the last 7 years?

Most Provisional drivers use Quinn. Quinn do not check for ANY documentation. Never shown them my provisional, my full when I got it, certs for the car, anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

ronoc wrote: »
    You are living in fantasy land mate.

I'll eat my hat if she get banned. :pac:

Small fine and points is most likely.

I'm just giving a worst case scenario...which is a good deal less than some of the other "throw the book at 'er m'lud!" posters are telling her she'll get...

from wiki:

Uberrima fides
    (sometimes seen in its genitive form uberrimae fidei) is a Latin phrase meaning "utmost good faith" (literally, "most abundant faith"). It is the name of a legal doctrine which governs insurance contracts. This means that all parties to an insurance contract must deal in good faith, making a full declaration of all material facts in the insurance proposal.

Not having a valid licence is a pretty material fact imo, and would render the insurance policy void

We have been through this already, the insurance is valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

If they don't notice that it is expired the court certainly will. If you do not volunteer the info you could be charged later with attempting to pervert the course of justice - a far worse offence in the eyes of the courts.

If they don't notice that it is expired the court certainly will. If you do not volunteer the info you could be charged later with attempting to pervert the course of justice - a far worse offence in the eyes of the courts.

Driving with an expired license is a penalty points offense so it may not go to court.

edit: I heard they have teh death penalty for driving with an expired liscense !!!!!!1111one

Well take note that you CANNOT drive unaccompanied!

I was talking to an ADI the other day. At the end of the year, a new law is coming in so that learners can ONLY be accompanied by an ADI. This brings us into line with Germany and is long, long overdue.

Wrong, they can only be getting paid-for lessons off an ADI. Any other 2+ year full licence driver can still accompany. There is NO law that you must do driving lessons, and won't be in the near future either.

I believe Quinn's T&Cs specifically state "hold (or have ever held) a licence for the category in question"... e.g. not banned, doesn't matter if its expired.

Right so, this is my poorly drafted plan.

Head to the station On Monday.
    Bringing the following items.

My out of date license, and a copy of the application for the 2nd provisional permit.
    Letter confirming NCT date and a big box of tissues ?? ( not making light of anything by the way )
    Try to explain that ive been the most useless tool in the box and see what happens. I dont think i can honestly NOT tell them about expired licence, it just out of date for far too long.

And then just be prepared for the worst and try and put this behind me, by doing full test and getting up off my arse for once.

Im terrified but im sure to learn a very big lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Dont worry too much about it. Theres been a lot of nonsense posted here. Driving without insurance is the most serious offence, but you are insured. You wont face a ban, or lose your job, or any of that (as much as the holier-than-thou crowd on here would like it) . Its just going to be a pain in the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

MYOB wrote: »
    I believe Quinn's T&Cs specifically state "hold (or have ever held) a licence for the category in question"... e.g. not banned, doesn't matter if its expired.

Yes all insurers state this.

I dont think op is going to work out as bad as people here are saying. I dont think you could ever get banned for such an offense.

Well take note that you CANNOT drive unaccompanied!

I was talking to an ADI the other day. At the end of the year, a new law is coming in so that learners can ONLY be accompanied by an ADI. This brings us into line with Germany and is long, long overdue.

no, the law that is coming in is that Driving Instructors must have their ADI license, so if they are running a business and charging you they need to have it, however, the person only needs to be accompanied by someone who holds a full license for 2 years +. This means that if your dad wants to teach you to drive, it is perfectly legal, as long as it's not his job/business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

You've ten days to bring your licence to the Garda station. Get onto the theory test website and search though every one of the forty-something locations. If you're quick, it's entirely possible that you might find a date within the next ten days. Pass your theory test (yeah, no pressure or anything...) and apply for your new licence at your local friendly motor tax office. They'll provide you with a cover note, which should keep the guards happy.

It may be possible to do all of the above within the next ten days.

and....
    book a really really cheap ryanair flight, print off reservation, and go to the motor tax office and tell them you need ID to travel! sometimes they'll give you your license straight away, sometimes they won't!

and btw, don't be stupid enough to pay for the return trip - ha!!!

Also, without having a go at Niamh, it really p*sses me of that this can even happen in this poxy country, for all we know that girl (or any other girl) has never had a lesson, never been asked a single question about the rules of the road, never sat a test, and just hopped in her car one day and decided she was competent enough to be on our roads. Again, this is not directed at Niamh because I guarantee there are plenty more out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Niamh, do you know any Gards? Might be worth asking them what will happen to you.

Don't be worrying about prison, that will not happen. You've ballsed up but there are a lot worse crimes being committed on the roads. I wonder could you fast track a driver theory exam? You could then say you are waiting for a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

What suprises me is not that you done it but how long you got away with it.. I spoke to a guy weeks ago running a business with a fleet of vans and jeeps and he never sat a driving test and had an out or date 3rd provional licence when he got stopped after leaving a pub.... he was over the limit but was let off because the Garda knew him as the owner of the company...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Right so, this is my poorly drafted plan.

Head to the station On Monday.
    Bringing the following items.

My out of date license, and a copy of the application for the 2nd provisional permit.
    Letter confirming NCT date and a big box of tissues ?? ( not making light of anything by the way )
    Try to explain that ive been the most useless tool in the box and see what happens. I dont think i can honestly NOT tell them about expired licence, it just out of date for far too long.

And then just be prepared for the worst and try and put this behind me, by doing full test and getting up off my arse for once.

Im terrified but im sure to learn a very big lesson.

1st permit , not second.

sorry, first permit..

I dont know any guards no... i could applied and done test 100 times over at this stage. I dont know what wrong with me.

at this point i dont want to " chance " anything else, in case it makes more trouble for me.... its tempting to try and bluff something but i cant see it working for me. Due of course to my ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

no, the law that is coming in is that Driving Instructors must have their ADI license, so if they are running a business and charging you they need to have it, however, the person only needs to be accompanied by someone who holds a full license for 2 years +. This means that if your dad wants to teach you to drive, it is perfectly legal, as long as it's not his job/business.

Which means that the standard of driving here will continue to be crap! Unqualified instruction is bloody stupid. It just means they teach their bad habits to the learner. That may well explain why pulling off from the lights here takes forever and people turn corners at slower than walking pace.

I have driven in many countries and can honestly say that the standard here is by far the worst I have come across.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement