Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Expired Licence & no NCT - Caught !!

Options

Comments

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Which means that the standard of driving here will continue to be crap! Unqualified instruction is bloody stupid. It just means they teach their bad habits to the learner. That may well explain why pulling off from the lights here takes forever and people turn corners at slower than walking pace.

I have driven in many countries and can honestly say that the standard here is by far the worst I have come across.

totally agree, you should have to have a certain amount of hours with a qualified instructor before being allowed to take your test. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I can't believe people are trying to suggest ways the OP can get off scot free. Why the hell should I do everything by the book with regards driving accompanied on a provisional etc. when someone else can ignore these rules and have people coming up with ways they can avoid the consequences? Makes me sick :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Niamh:>)

and just to clarify, I am not looking for ways to get off. Never did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

fullstop wrote: »
    I can't believe people are trying to suggest ways the OP can get off scot free. Why the hell should I do everything by the book with regards driving accompanied on a provisional etc. when someone else can ignore these rules and have people coming up with ways they can avoid the consequences? Makes me sick :mad:

Well some drunk drivers get off pretty much scot free as well as drug dealers so why not the OP?

Niamh:>) wrote: »
    and just to clarify, I am not looking for ways to get off. Never did.

I realise that but some here are trying to suggest ways of doing just that

• Advertisement

none of which im about to take up... its a complete confession for me and deal with what comes next - no more or no less

/me wonders how many people came to vent their spleen rather than offer any meaningful advice.

This thread is a train wreck.

as am I...

I will let you know what becomes of me :confused:

ronoc wrote: »
    /me wonders how many people came to vent their spleen rather than offer any meaningful advice.

This thread is a train wreck.
    /Me wonders why OP started the thread. It was always going to be a trainwreck

/Me wonders why OP started the thread. It was always going to be a trainwreck

more like a car crash

hardeharhar!

sorry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭ALFIET

Hi Niamh

Although we all agree you have been stupid and will have to face the consequences, I do admire your attitude and honesty and maturity in how you are approaching the matter now.

You were wrong no doubt about that but people are capable of a whole ream of things we never thought ourselves capable of and what shows the measure of the person is how they face up to the issue ( albeit after so many years of hiding and only after getting caught! :rolleyes:)

Hopefully you have learnt your lesson... it will always come back to bite ya in the end!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Makes me sick :mad:

Really? A bit of an overreaction, I would have thought. :)

If a person can avoid punishment, via perfectly legal means, there is nothing wrong with them doing exactly that. In this case, sitting and passing a theory test within the next week (which is completely possible) could actually result in being able to hand a shiny new licence to the Gardai before the ten days have expired.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

OP, believe it or not I know someone else who was in exactly the same position... I sh*t you not! The only difference being that the reason they was caught was not because they had no NCT but because they were in an accident .. other party was in the wrong.
    the went to the guards, cap in hand, explained that had never renewed 1st provisional and had been driving ever since, got a fine, did not have to go to court,nor did they get any penalty points. got a slap on the wrist and that was that. (has been driving circa 15years) at least 10 of those without a licence
    It may not be as bad as a lot of people are saying on here, be honest is all I will say and you may just be lucky.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

lynchie wrote: »
    So many people jumping to assumptions with regard to insurance.. As was mentioned by another poster, insurance is valid once you hold a current license, OR held one previously and are not disqualified from holding one.

Does this also apply to provisional licenses? A provisional license is not really a driving license after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

jobucks wrote: »
    OP, believe it or not I know someone else who was in exactly the same position... I sh*t you not! The only difference being that the reason they was caught was not because they had no NCT but because they were in an accident .. other party was in the wrong.
    the went to the guards, cap in hand, explained that had never renewed 1st provisional and had been driving ever since, got a fine, did not have to go to court,nor did they get any penalty points. got a slap on the wrist and that was that. (has been driving circa 15years) at least 10 of those without a licence
    It may not be as bad as a lot of people are saying on here, be honest is all I will say and you may just be lucky.:)

And that just reinforces my point about why the driving standard here is crap!! No lessons, no test. Jesus wept!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

And that just reinforces my point about why the driving standard here is crap!! No lessons, no test. Jesus wept!
    ... and no proper enforcement by the guards when things like this happen. A fine and a slap on the wrist for driving for 15 years without a licence? Pathetic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

Actually he did have a lot of lessons and the reason had never been stopped before in the 10 years is because he was a very good driver. Now don't get me wrong, I totally disagree with driving without a licence, however that does not necessarily make the person a bad driver... just lazy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

jobucks wrote: »
    Actually he did have a lot of lessons and the reason had never been stopped before in the 10 years is because he was a very good driver. Now don't get me wrong, I totally disagree with driving without a licence, however that does not necessarily make the person a bad driver... just lazy!!
    That may, or may not, be true, but it's absolutely, 100% not the point! I don't want to be sharing the road with random people I've never met who decide for themselves that they're very good drivers .. I'd prefer that someone else, qualified to make that judgement, decides it for them. We don't allow airline pilots and surgeons to decide for themselves that they're qualified, we shouldn't do it for driving a car either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

The driving standard here isnt crap, where do people come with this rubbish. Have any of you ever been outside the country at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,991 ✭✭✭✭L1011

CiaranC wrote: »
    The driving standard here isnt crap, where do people come with this rubbish. Have any of you ever been outside the country at all?

In certain ways, it is. Other countries are however nowhere near as great as made out to be here.

People in Ireland have no lane discipline (and may even spend 20 pages of a thread trying to justify breaking the law / improper lane discipline, as seen here...) for one thing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

no insurance (will be void under the UTMOST GOOD FAITH principle)
    no tax (the void insurance will technically void the tax)

You are so wrong on this, I don't know where to start........

The insurance issue, in the absence of a licence, has already been tested in Court, and upheld as cover being in place. Another poster on here, an insurance employee, has confirmed this, so how you can state the above is..........incredible, tbh.

No tax because of no insurance ??? - what complete and utter fiction. There is no connection WHATSOEVER between your tax and insurance. One is a commercial transaction with a private company, and the other is a transaction between you and the State - via your Local Authority.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

randomer wrote: »
    Does this also apply to provisional licenses? A provisional license is not really a driving license after all.

Oh yes it is a licence. One with strings attached, but a licence nonetheless. No more so than a 'full licence' has strings of it's own attached - e.g. Classes, restrictions (e.g. automatic only...), trailers/no trailers.

They're all licences though.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

people you are too p.c. take it handy, confession is to ease the soul, not be burned at the stake, i know of a woman driving on a provisional licence, a named driver on her partners insurance, now for the kicker her O.H. is blind.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    Edit: Actually, she WASN'T insured. Not without a valid license she wasn't.

Probably not the case - not having a licence does not prevent you from being insured providing you have held such a licence and ususally there is a time limit in which you must have held it.

That said you are a goon of the first order and I've no sympathy for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

CiaranC wrote: »

You're not trying to insinuate that driving standards are actually good in this country are you? :eek: Good god.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Celtic Mech

Taken from Quinn's Website:

Please read the following carefully

To obtain a valid online quotation from QUINN-direct you and any drivers named on the policy must meet all of the following criteria:
    Driver Requirements
    ▪ Must hold a valid Irish/UK/EU licence or Int'nl driving permit

▪ Do not suffer from any disabilities or medical conditions which must be reported to the driver licensing authority
    ▪ Must not be a taxi driver, in which case you should ring QUINN-direct at the below number
    ▪ Has not been refused insurance, renewal of insurance or had any special terms/conditions imposed by an insurer
    ▪ Has not been disqualified from driving, or have any motor prosecutions pending
    ▪ Can provide proof of Discount used to obtain premium (if any) from Ireland, the UK, all EU countries, America, Canada, Australia or New Zealand
    Vehicle Requirements
    ▪ Valued at no more than €100,000 or £75,000

By clicking the accept button below I am confirming I have met all the driving and vehicle requirements above and that all information supplied and /or any future information provided will form the basis of the contract between QUINN-direct Insurance and me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Taken from Quinn's Website:

Please read the following carefully

To obtain a valid online quotation from QUINN-direct you and any drivers named on the policy must meet all of the following criteria:
    Driver Requirements
    ▪ Must hold a valid Irish/UK/EU licence or Int'nl driving permit

▪ Do not suffer from any disabilities or medical conditions which must be reported to the driver licensing authority
    ▪ Must not be a taxi driver, in which case you should ring QUINN-direct at the below number
    ▪ Has not been refused insurance, renewal of insurance or had any special terms/conditions imposed by an insurer
    ▪ Has not been disqualified from driving, or have any motor prosecutions pending
    ▪ Can provide proof of Discount used to obtain premium (if any) from Ireland, the UK, all EU countries, America, Canada, Australia or New Zealand
    Vehicle Requirements
    ▪ Valued at no more than €100,000 or £75,000

By clicking the accept button below I am confirming I have met all the driving and vehicle requirements above and that all information supplied and /or any future information provided will form the basis of the contract between QUINN-direct Insurance and me.

I know what you're trying to say. She failed to meet the criteria stated above, therefore she was uninsured right?
    Wrong. She was insured, if she plowed into a pedestrian, her insurance would indeed pay out for any injuries/costs etc. However, the insurance company would then come back to the insured and make a claim against them for the damages.
    That's the whole point of insurance, it would make no sense to say, oh you broke the rules, you're not insured, as it's the innocent party that loses out.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Celtic Mech

I know what you're trying to say. She failed to meet the criteria stated above, therefore she was uninsured right?
    Wrong. She was insured, if she plowed into a pedestrian, her insurance would indeed pay out for any injuries/costs etc. However, the insurance company would then come back to the insured and make a claim against them for the damages.
    That's the whole point of insurance, it would make no sense to say, oh you broke the rules, you're not insured, as it's the innocent party that loses out.

Ok understand your point on this...but going back thru the Law....Under the Road Traffic Act, 1961:
    64.—(1) A person shall not, for the purpose or in the course of obtaining the issue of an approved policy of insurance or an approved guarantee to himself or to another person, or for the purpose of securing his or another person's participation in the cover afforded by an approved policy of insurance or an approved guarantee, commit any fraud or make any representation or statement (whether in writing or verbally or by conduct) which is to his knowledge false or misleading in any material respect.

Its taken from section 64 of the Act....http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/en/act/pub/0024/index.html#zza24y1961

I understand it is a Fraudulent offence...but at the end of the day you will most likely be covered by your insurance company so i do agree with what Alanstrainor is saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

hi niamh
    just after reading this thread and can safely say that i have never seen such rubbish spouted in all my life
    you are worroring yourself too much
    unless you are very unlucky and meet a right p***k of a guard then i reckon its a bollicking and the" dont be caught again lecture"
    dont post very much here as to be honest most of those who do seem to be under 25 or so(general impression; may not be true ;but most on here strike me as newly licensed drivers with a point to prove)
    back on track: almost the same thing happened my next door neighbour (aged 50 plus) about 4 years ago. he had an nct on the car but no licence for at least the last 10 years as he forgot to renew it
    all he had to do was sit the theory test and go and get his test
    biggest thing was the slagging ;tried to keep it quiet
    told me the guard threatned court but reckoned it a waste as it would just be a small fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Not having a valid licence is a pretty material fact imo, and would render the insurance policy void

It clearly states on the policy ......provided insured has a valid licence OR having had such a licence is not disqualified from holding said licence

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement