Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self nappy changing baby?

Options
  • 26-11-2008 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭

It appears i have one! My daughter hates me changing her and now wants to open her own nappy and wants the wipes to clean herself with. Obviously i help along to make sure she's clean but i want to know has anyone else experienced this and how long should i expect this little slice of heaven to last?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would say if she is doing that then it's time to start potty/tolet training as she clearly is aware of how uncomfortable a wet nappy is. If you are going to be with here for the two weeks over the Christmas while the creche is closed why not consider it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Thank thaed! I was hoping to start potty training soon but she can't verbalise potty or wet or dirty yet. She hates when it is napy change time and goes beserk when she's being put on the mat but when she's there she insists on doing it herself-its very cute! Anyhow i'll be giving the potty training a go and see how she gets on with it! Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

erm...how old is she? Where can I get one of these babies? Is there a firmware upgrade available for existing models?

Well I would say start her with pulls ups and as along as she can communicate with you via getures or holding 'herself' or going to where the potty is then why not start and see how she goes.

You do need to spend time with her and watching her and looking for the signs that she
    wants or needs to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

My son is doing this too. Is 16 mos old. Should I start training? He is still very incontinent though.

• Advertisement

You could try him and if it doesn't take then wait and try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Ludo wrote: »
    erm...how old is she? Where can I get one of these babies? Is there a firmware upgrade available for existing models?

She's 2! Its great alright, i wish i could tell you how it happened. She got a baby annabel doll recently and got the nappies for it. She takes great pride in changing annabel but poor annabel ends up in the bold corner everytime she burps. I'm going to enjoy this phase anyhow its brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Maybe she just had a very independent personality? When I was about two I refused to eat. My mum got really worried and took me to the doctor. It turned out I just wanted to feed myself and I was being stubborn. My mum said she should have realised it was a sign for things to come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

My son is doing this too. Is 16 mos old. Should I start training? He is still very incontinent though.

I really wouldn't reccommend starting to train him yet. The sphincter muscle (the one which controls the flow of urine) doesn't develop until age two. So it would my physically impossible for your soon to 'hold' his pee!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭MORISH

Also it's common for boys to be a little older than girls before they are ready to be potty trained but a good suggestion above is maybe try him with the pull-up's at least then you are giving him some control. Which is maybe what he is looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

merryhappy wrote: »
    I really wouldn't reccommend starting to train him yet. The sphincter muscle (the one which controls the flow of urine) doesn't develop until age two. So it would my physically impossible for your soon to 'hold' his pee!

I have a 4month old who waits to be put over a potty to urinate or defecate.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Monkey see, monkey do.

My sister's youngest always had to "take part" - even if it meant just giving her a nappy to hold while she was being changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

merryhappy wrote: »

Yeah, its not the right time. He is currently using his yet to be used potty as a megaphone while running around the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

As a mum and childminder who's helped toilet train a lot of little ones, mostly boys, I have found from personal experience and from chatting with other parents that boys tend to be around 3 years of age before they get the hang of toilet training. Girls a bit younger, obviously there will be the exceptions.

Just bear in mind that a lot of parents confuse toilet timing for toilet training.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Zounds wrote: »
    I have a 4month old who waits to be put over a potty to urinate or defecate.

Why why why?! Clearly this cannot have been the baby's idea, so why? :eek:

Eh, in answer to the child making a mess during nappy changes my gf started holding him over a potty before changing him. After a while of this he started waiting for these opportunities. We've assumed it's because it's more pleasant to not sit in a wet/soiled nappy than it is to sit in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

How do I teach my daughter the concept of "before" and "after" pooing?
    At the moment, she wants to throw the full nappy down the toilet, I'm trying to explain to her that she needs to tell me about the toilet before she goes, not after.

Zounds wrote: »
    Eh, in answer to the child making a mess during nappy changes my gf started holding him over a potty before changing him. After a while of this he started waiting for these opportunities. We've assumed it's because it's more pleasant to not sit in a wet/soiled nappy than it is to sit in one.

That sounds like a classic case of toilet timing and no where near toilet training. 2 completely different things.

deisemum wrote: »
    That sounds like a classic case of toilet timing and no where near toilet training. 2 completely different things.

I was never trying to claim he was toilet trained, I was just refuting the muscle control thing. I'm not clear on the distinction between timing and training, could you explain?

What zounds is talking about is not that unusual in asain countries.
    Mothers will roughly know when the baby is going to urinate or defecate and watch them for signs and then will hold them over the potty and make encouraging noises to the infant who will learn to assoate the sounds with going to the toilet.

It is known as Infant Potty Training

http://www.myparentime.com/articles/articleS65.shtml
    http://www.timl.com/tt/
    Outlook and Source

EC begins with association and can be approached in a rational and scientific manner as well as an intuitive and spiritual one, or a combination of both depending on what works best for you and your baby. The rational approach involves timing and observation of elimination patterns and baby body language. The more spiritual approach involves intuition and "tuning in" to your baby in more subtle ways.

Remember, it is teamwork, something you do together via close and trusting communication. It is not something you are doing to your baby, and it is not something your baby can do without you. If you are willing and able, and if your baby is healthy, your baby is ready for you.

Infant pottying is based on an elimination training technique used in much of Asia and rural Sub-Saharan Africa. The method has been adapted to the Western lifestyle in various ways, including the use of a sink, potty, toilet or other container; variations in elimination positions; part-time use of the technique; and, where desired, part-time use of diapers.

Synopsis of the Method

1. Observation - Lay your undiapered baby in a comfortable, warm and safe place, then observe her:

a) timing (how long and how frequently she goes after waking or feeding)
    b) body language (such as twisting or grimacing while defecating)
    c) sounds (such as grunting while defecating)

This can also be done using a sling. In fact, babywearing is one of the best ways to become familiar with your baby's elimination timing and patterns since you know straightaway when she goes. It is especially beneficial in cold climates or rooms without sufficient heating. Some mothers keep their babies naked in the sling, carrying them skin-to-skin, which keeps baby at a perfect body temperature. If so desired, you can keep a cloth diaper under her while in the sling. It is, of course, not a requirement to keep your baby naked in the sling. Even if she is wearing some clothing and/or a cloth dipe without a waterproof cover, you will know when she goes.

2. Anticipation or Intuition

Anticipate when your infant needs to go, then at that moment, make a watery sound such as "sssss." Alternatively, if your baby starts to go while you are observing her, immediately make the "sssss" sound. Within a few days, your baby will associate this sound with elimination.

3. Position & Toilet Place

When you think your infant needs to go, hold her gently and securely over your preferred toilet place while giving an audible signal ("sssss" or whatever sound/words you prefer). Your baby will soon associate the sound, position and place with elimination. Use whatever location and receptacle are most comfy and convenient. Examples include the bathroom sink, a mixing bowl, a basin and the outdoors. Older babies can sit between your legs on the toilet.

4. Baby-Mother Communication

From now on, pay close attention to baby's timing and signals. When you think she needs to go, hold her in position and give your signal. If it is near time to go, infants are able to relax those muscles upon receiving your cues.

How Do I Know When My Baby Needs to Go?

You can know when baby needs to go by one or more of the following:

* Timing (by the clock)
    * Signals and cues (including body language and vocalizations)
    * Patterns of elimination (relation to feeding, waking, etc.)
    * Intuition and instinct

Benefits of Infant Potty Training

The three big winners are baby, parent(s), and the environment. Here is a more complete list of the benefits of infant potty training.

*Enhances bonding through closeness, natural communication and loving patience.
    *Responds to infants’ natural elimination communication and timing.
    *Taps into first window of learning (sensitive period) for toilet learning.
    * Helps environment by conserving/saving trees, water, petroleum and landfill space.
    *Eliminates or drastically reduces diaper use.
    *Allows babies to achieve reasonable control by 12-18 months.
    *Lets baby complete potty training at a relatively young age (around 24 months).
    *Frees baby from diapers and all negative associations (bulk between legs, chemicals, etc.)
    *Avoids/eliminates enuresis (bed wetting).
    *Prevents diaper rash.
    *Provides hygienic respect for your baby.
    *Eliminates embarrassing "accidents" for toddlers.
    *Allows dad or other close, trusted ones to bond and communicate with baby.
    *Yields big savings on diapers and laundry costs.
    *Keeps babies in touch with their own bodies.
    *Reduces risk of urinary tract infections (UTIs)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Im gobsmacked and thoroughly impressed! only 4 months of age and this is possible. Fair dues to you. I had no idea that a baby that young could do this! I always kind of knew that my little one had pretty predictable nappies at certain times of day but this is amazing stuff! Good for you!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I trained my now 8 year old at around age 2 to 2 and a half.

I always spoke to him about what i was doing so one day i said to him, are you going to start going wee wee in the potty?

SO he took one of my mothers cooking pots out of the press and peed in it.

Hey presto, training was over :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

ive defo found that boys are about 2.5 years to 3 years before they "get it". However you could start introducing potty training at her age. Before bed, before bath and 30 min after a meal. literally just hold put her on the potty for no more then 1 min, if she goes fantastic, if she doesnt well then she just has more experience being on the potty.

They say in the medical profession that children should be potty trained from 1.5 year to 2 years..... written by people who dont have children me thinks.:rolleyes:

They say in the medical profession that children should be potty trained from 1.5 year to 2 years..... written by people who dont have children me thinks.:rolleyes:

So true, is it any wonder that some people end up anal retentive and one of the most famous people that was extremely anal retentive was none other than Hitler not that being anal retentive was the only thing he suffered from.

Advertisement