Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firewire PCI and Windows XP

• 26-11-2008 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Heya lads,

Seems my Firewire card has just ceased to exist - well, as far as my PC is concerned anyway! It's not listed under the system Hardware tab. I'm wondering is there some diagnostic I can run that might check for it?

I even swapped PCI slots but it did nothing and no software came with it.
    Any help would be great, I can't record audio without it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Have you tried it with another machine or motherboard? Chances are for whatever reason the card itself has blown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Achilles wrote: »
    Have you tried it with another machine or motherboard? Chances are for whatever reason the card itself has blown.

Yeah was thinking the card might have just upped and died. I don't have another desktop to check it with which sucks. How much do these things normally go for?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

could also be drivers

system restore is worth a shot , takes time but doesn't use any brainpower

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_Manager
    Display of 'non-present' devices The Device Manager has the ability to display the driver entries for a device that is not currently connected to a computer but had been successfully installed to run through a port, such as a USB port. This is useful for removing entries of old devices or performing a clean reinstall of a device.

This mode activated each time device manager is added and must be invoked just prior to opening Device Manager using the Command Prompt or Batch file method. Command line is as follows: set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    then type
    start devmgmt.msc

when you right click to show hidden devices you'll may see the card, try removing it and redetecting

check BIOS settings too if all else fails

probably HW but worth a shot

could also be drivers

system restore is worth a shot , takes time but doesn't use any brainpower

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_Managerthen type
    start devmgmt.msc

when you right click to show hidden devices you'll may see the card, try removing it and redetecting

check BIOS settings too if all else fails

probably HW but worth a shot

Thanks for getting back to me, I'm just wodnering if you could clarify a few points?

Where do I type the command exactly? Do I run cmd.exe and type it in the command screen?

And what's HW?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

start
    run
    cmd
    set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    start devmgmt.msc

HW=hardware

• Advertisement

Quick update on this lads! Bought a replacement firewire card, put it in...and the things started burning. :(

TelePaul wrote: »
    Quick update on this lads! Bought a replacement firewire card, put it in...and the things started burning. :(

Whao! What started burning exactly? Sounds like your Power Supply has gone very dodgy there, it probably wasn't providing the firewire card with power in the first place.

Any idea what wattage your PSU is?

Whao! What started burning exactly? Sounds like your Power Supply has gone very dodgy there, it probably wasn't providing the firewire card with power in the first place.

Any idea what wattage your PSU is?

Well there was a horrible smell of burning rubber, the computer shut down and started making odd bleeping noises. I shut it down at the mains, removed the power cable and then removed the FW card. The chipset was burnt. It booted normally after I removed the FW card.

I took the card back to the shop, they replaced it but said in all likelihood there was a surge from the motherboard. That's strange, the PC is 6 months old (and therefore under warranty, I assume). They advised me to try the card with another slot to see if that made any difference, but if not, Dell will be getting a call from me.

Damn...

Well as I said, any idea what wattage your PSU is? You could very easilly be overloading it.

Damn...

Well as I said, any idea what wattage your PSU is? You could very easilly be overloading it.

On purpose??? By using the one that came with it? How would I know what my watatge my PSU is? Is it not just a mains plug that powers it?

• Advertisement

TelePaul wrote: »
    On purpose??? By using the one that came with it? How would I know what my watatge my PSU is? Is it not just a mains plug that powers it?

Erh no your PC's PSU is converting AC to DC current etc. It'll tell you on the side of the PSU itself what wattage it is, also what make is it?

Erh no your PC's PSU is converting AC to DC current etc. It'll tell you on the side of the PSU itself what wattage it is, also what make is it?

Sorry for the massive delay man - crazy week. The pc is a Dell Vostro desktop, just powered by a plug into a 3-pin cable that connects directly to the tower (he kind you get with your average electric kettle I suppose)?

Cheers for the PM. I was actually asking what the make of your PSU is, so I'm sorry for the confusion. The only way you'll find out what wattage it is is by taking off the PC case and having a look at the unit itself.

Cheers for the PM. I was actually asking what the make of your PSU is, so I'm sorry for the confusion. The only way you'll find out what wattage it is is by taking off the PC case and having a look at the unit itself.

Thanks for getting back to me. I have the case off so I'll have a look for the PSU. What exactly does it look like? I assume it's close to where the power supply attaches?

Also, just some background info, the reason I'm so curious about this is because a firewire peripheral recently stopped working. I've sent it back to the manufacturer for inspection, I wonder is it related to the power issues.

Will get back to you asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Waste of time IMO. One puny little PCI Firewire card isn't exactly going to tip the thing over the edge, and from what I can tell it's a bog standard Dell PC we're talking about with no other added stuff apart from that one card. They don't even bother quoting the power consumption on any Firewire cards I've manage to find, so it's probably not significant.

Alun wrote: »
    Waste of time IMO. One puny little PCI Firewire card isn't exactly going to tip the thing over the edge, and from what I can tell it's a bog standard Dell PC we're talking about with no other added stuff apart from that one card. They don't even bother quoting the power consumption on any Firewire cards I've manage to find, so it's probably not significant.

You'd be wrong. Alot of firewire cards nowadays require at least one PSU molex to send power to external devices, the likes of dv cameras and that kind of thing. Granted it's only an extra 5v but that can be enough to tip some PSUs over the edge if they don't have enough wattage to supply a constant stream of power to the device in the first place. It can overexert the PSU and cause a power surge which is what sounds like happened here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You'd be wrong. Alot of firewire cards nowadays require at least one PSU molex to send power to external devices, the likes of dv cameras and that kind of thing. Granted it's only an extra 5v but that can be enough to tip some PSUs over the edge if they don't have enough wattage to supply a constant stream of power to the device in the first place. It can overexert the PSU and cause a power surge which is what sounds like happened here.
    OK, didn't know that. What kind of power draw are we talking here, seeing as DV cameras will also have their own power source? Are there maximum values defined in the standard, as there are for USB?

Alun wrote: »
    OK, didn't know that. What kind of power draw are we talking here, seeing as DV cameras will also have their own power source? Are there maximum values defined in the standard, as there are for USB?

I don't know off the top of my head mate. I know off the top of my head that most USB controllers will give roughly 5v but that can still vary depending on the power supply or the load on the bus itself.

Google's your best friend.

I don't know off the top of my head mate. I know off the top of my head that most USB controllers will give roughly 5v but that can still vary depending on the power supply or the load on the bus itself.

Google's your best friend.
    the voltage is 5V
    the current from the usb port can be up to either 100mA or 500mA

so power is up to 500mW or 2.5W depending

the voltage is 5V
    the current from the usb port can be up to either 100mA or 500mA

so power is up to 500mW or 2.5W depending

Cheers for the clarification.

• Advertisement
Advertisement