Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mondeo Diesel 03 - Failed NCT due to rear suspension

Options
  • 26-11-2008 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭

Hello my 03 Mondeo diesel just failed NCT due to rear suspension. The inbalance was 33% when upper limit is 30%.

To all Mondeo owners out there - have you had issues with rear suspension? The NCT guy said the shocks probably needed replacing but I'm not so sure now.
    The car has 88000 miles with majority of this on motorway and just me driving.
    I have the car booked in to get them replaced (not a Ford garage though all the servicing has been done at one)

Apart from shocks is there anything else in the rear suspension that could be attrinuted to the failure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Abhainn wrote: »
    Hello my 03 Mondeo diesel just failed NCT due to rear suspension. The inbalance was 33% when upper limit is 30%.

To all Mondeo owners out there - have you had issues with rear suspension? The NCT guy said the shocks probably needed replacing but I'm not so sure now.
    I have the car booked in to get them replaced (not a Ford garage though all the servicing has been done at one)

Apart from shocks is there anything else in the rear suspension that could be attrinuted to the failure?

yo, check on fordmondeo.org a forum on suspension in there,
    are you hearing any rattling from the back. I am wondering u had problems with ur subfram bushes would they show imbalance. Mine went at 85k. its a known problem, but i replaced them with poly ones...DIY..worked well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I once saw a problem with rear subframe bushings on a Mondeo the same as yours but it wasn't an NCT fail, but a noise of play in the suspension.

It's most likely just back shocks...

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I once saw a problem with rear subframe bushings on a Mondeo the same as yours but it wasn't an NCT fail, but a noise of play in the suspension.

It's most likely just back shocks...

I am surprised that the shocks would go, i suppose it depends on if they got a hammering....pot holes...or carrying weight..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

thanks for feedback guys. Ya I'm familiar with fordmondeo.org but didn't see much around shock issues.

I haven't noticed any rattles or noises from the rear.
    A I said most of the 88k was motorway driving.
    I looked at the rear shock coils and they seem to be similar to the front (equal distance between each coil) which are fine according to the NCT test.

thanks for feedback guys. Ya I'm familiar with fordmondeo.org but didn't see much around shock issues.

I haven't noticed any rattles or noises from the rear.
    A I said most of the 88k was motorway driving.
    I looked at the rear shock coils and they seem to be similar to the front (equal distance between each coil) which are fine according to the NCT test.

Any evidence of oil leak aroind the shocks. Maybe there just toast. is it expensive to change them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

tred wrote: »
    Any evidence of oil leak aroind the shocks. Maybe there just toast. is it expensive to change them?

tred Ford quoted me €87 euro each for parts. When you add in labour and vat lucky to get it done for €250.
    I got another quote for €230 from a local garage.
    No evidence of oil leak .
    I pulled out the NCT report details below. Its a fail with imbalance over 30%

Suspension Test, Nearside, Offside, Imbalance
    Front Axle, 29Mm, 30Mm, 3%
    Rear Axle, 54Mn, 36Mn, 33%

It passed the side slip test

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

/

Nothing wrong with your suspension bushings! Passenger side shock absorber is gone, 54Mn indicates a worn shock. But please, replace both rear shocks!

tred Ford quoted me €87 euro each for parts. When you add in labour and vat lucky to get it done for €250.
    I got another quote for €230 from a local garage.
    No evidence of oil leak .
    I pulled out the NCT report details below. Its a fail with imbalance over 30%

It passed the side slip test

yeah shock gone. Like cosmo said, you need to change the 2. You know, i have found with Ford, they are open at times to haggling. So you might it for less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

tred wrote: »
    yeah shock gone. Like cosmo said, you need to change the 2. You know, i have found with Ford, they are open at times to haggling. So you might it for less.

Do you haggle when you go into Mc Donalds??? Do you haggle with the barman when you go for a pint??? No, so why do you expect other businesses to let you take money out of their pocket???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Do you haggle when you go into Mc Donalds??? Do you haggle with the barman when you go for a pint??? No, so why do you expect other businesses to let you take money out of their pocket???

If he doesnt ask he won't know .. will he ...

Stupid post imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

let's not go there ...again.

Original question has been answered (thanks, Cosmo) ...thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement