Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GB pipng. Compression fitting or thread?

Options
  • 26-11-2008 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

I need to replace a section of rotten GB pipe that is buried under my back yard.
    It is the feed and return to the external boiler.

I will have to dig down, cut the pipe and somehow connect it to 22mm copper.

Is it possible to get a compression fitting to go on this 1" GB pipe?
    Threading the end would be very awkward unless I can get some sort of one-handled ratchet die.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Wavey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You can get compression fittings for GB, I think they are called Viking or something similar, have only used them once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Wavey wrote: »
    Afternoon all.

I need to replace a section of rotten GB pipe that is buried under my back yard.
    It is the feed and return to the external boiler.
    I will have to dig down, cut the pipe and somehow connect it to 22mm copper.
    Is it possible to get a compression fitting to go on this 1" GB pipe?
    Threading the end would be very awkward unless I can get some sort of one-handled ratchet die.
    Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Wavey.

You need to disconnect the GB where it's threaded in the boiler house, and at the house end. Then use whatever piping you choose - and lag it well.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Thanks for the replies lads.

Micky, I will try and find those on google.

James, That would be the right way to go about it but the GB pipe is buried in concrete so it would mean ripping out the kitchen units and digging the concrete floor up.

The missus wouldn't appreciate that so close to xmass so I have to sort it outside.

Thanks,

Wavey

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

You will be putting off the inevitable
    Gb pipe will last for ever in some ground and in others ten years or less if it was not properly protected first day
    If you are going to dig outside then at least replace all the gb pipe from the boiler to the house
    You will no sooner have if fixed and it will leak somewhere else cathodeic corrosion it’s a bitch

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭willbur

hi this is the 64 dollar question its false economy dig a new trench a foot down, put loose stone 4inch soil pipe fit the lagged pipes inside the 4inch soil pipe beside the pipes and use 22mm insulated rolled copper no joints inside the kitchen and boiler house and connect ucing 22mm gb/to copper 310s if its worth doing do it right allso @ this stage flush the system out it will save in the long run , also if the valves are more than 15years old replace them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Is there no joint where the pipes enter the wall of the house ? If it is underground, it probably turns up before it goes through the wall.
    I don't think that compression fittings would seal around the corroded GB.
    Jim.

Advertisement