Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

toyota avensis

Options
  • 26-11-2008 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hi

I am thinking of buying a toyota avensis as a second car, Would be driving about 400 miles a week in it,So presuming I would work out cheaper in a diesel version. Thinking of spending 4000 or around that value. Roughly for €50 what sort of mileage would I expect to be getting, mainly motorway driving.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ncc98071

no comments??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

the 2.0 diesel should get you 100k for every 6.5litres of diesel approx

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ncc98071 wrote: »
    Hi

I am thinking of buying a toyota avensis as a second car, Would be driving about 400 miles a week in it,So presuming I would work out cheaper in a diesel version. Thinking of spending 4000 or around that value. Roughly for €50 what sort of mileage would I expect to be getting, mainly motorway driving.

€4k will get you a 01/02 D-4D Mk1 model, thing is that most of them at this stage may have racked up huge mileage so make sure that high wearing components have been replaced at this stage if needed. I am talking about suspension, clutch, gearbox, etc. Be aware that there are probably alot of knackered ex-taxis floating around too. Also watch out for dual mass fly wheel failures on the D-4D, it is a well known problem on that engine after about 100k miles. Regarding mpg I would guess that 55mpg is achievable from motorway driving.

To be honest I would be looking at one of these instead, totally underrated, much more car for the money and similar mpg:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=931455

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1259363

cheers for the tips lads
    will keep a lookout for one over the next couple of weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 TimMcC

Hi

Hi

I do about 600 miles per week mainly Limerick to Galway average out at
    49-51 mpg .

Regards

• Advertisement

Hi

Hi

I do about 600 miles per week mainly Limerick to Galway average out at
    49-51 mpg ( Avensis 2.0TD ).

Regards

Tim

Thanks for that, Driving a subaru at the minute
    costing me too much on petrol ,so want to get the avensis and keep the subaru for weekend driving,

Cheers

Tim

Thanks for that, Driving a subaru at the minute
    costing me too much on petrol ,so want to get the avensis and keep the subaru for weekend driving,

Cheers

HI

Can you do that under the same insurance policy or will you have to take out a second insurance . Planning on trying something similar myself . Need the avensis for weekdays and something better for towing on the weekends .

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Don't discount the 1.6 petrol, my wife has a 01 that does about 43 mpg average, mixed driving, once got a crazy 54mpg out of it . They burn oil though unless they've been repaired under warranty by Toyota. Aircon was made standard during 2001. Not the most exciting drive but bar servicing /brake pads and topping up oil ours has never needed anything doing to it in 4 years.

Disnt realise the petrol was as good on juice,
    doing about 500 miles a week,
    undecided whether to go for the petrol or the diesel
    cheaper to buy a petrol version I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Blue850 wrote: »
    Don't discount the 1.6 petrol, my wife has a 01 that does about 43 mpg average, mixed driving, once got a crazy 54mpg out of it . They burn oil though unless they've been repaired under warranty by Toyota. Aircon was made standard during 2001. Not the most exciting drive but bar servicing /brake pads and topping up oil ours has never needed anything doing to it in 4 years.

Air con wasn't made standard until the newer model arrived in 2003. Back in 2000 the middle of the range model had an eletric sunroof as standard but you opt for air con instead for an additional cost.

Also 1.8 petrol is just as economical as the 1.6 in those cars but the 1.8 was more prone to premature burning of oil than the 1.6 lump and less common.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭eagerv

Hi

Bought in an 06 D4D T3X Tourer in October. Average so far 50.3 MPG. All fairly gentle driving. Saloon/Hatchback should be about 1 mpg better than Tourer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

On a 04, 1.8 petrol tourer, I get about 45mpg on a 2-3 hour dualcarraige way trip and 37mpg over a weeks driving mostly 40-50mph with little starting/stopping, 30 mile roundtrip.

These are my calculations rather than the trip computer which tend to be more optimistic by 2 mpg.

In 4 years I've had no problems with the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

For the love of god, dont buy a 1.6 petrol. They are without doubt the slowest car ive driven. Anyway, coming from any subaru, it will feel so slow that you wont buy it.
    They are a very bland car to be considering buying. The current one is so bad but the first one is worse in regard to plastics etc

I realise it is going to be slow compared to a subaru, most saloons are!!
    just looking for soemthing cheap for 6 months , and something that is reliable
    and that is cheap on fuel and relative comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I realise it is going to be slow compared to a subaru, most saloons are!!
    just looking for soemthing cheap for 6 months , and something that is reliable
    and that is cheap on fuel and relative comfortable

Ive no idea what subaru you have, thats why I said slow compared to any subaru. Even if you had a 1.6 imprezza, this would still feel like there was something wrong with it. I drove 2 of them cause I was certain the first one shouldnt be so bad but both the same. Im mean frustratingly slow.

If you must get one, get a d4d.

have the subaru impreza wrx,
    was thinking of the d4d,
    be a big comeback in speed!

Advertisement