Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which modchip to get, and is there anyone selling pre-modded Wii?

Options
  • 26-11-2008 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking to get a Wii for the missus and I'm wondering what is the modchip of choice these days? Should I get a Wiikey, Wasabi or D2pro?

And is there any shop that sells pre-modded consoles? I'm not sure I'd want to put a soldering iron to a new console, I might try the solderless modchips, but then again there might be a shop that sells a pre-modded one which just takes the hassle out of it completely :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lk555

dont buy a mod chip.softmod it instead.u dont even have to open it this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Softmodding the wii is "where its at"....

FCIRELAND wrote: »
    Softmods are great and free however there are issues with future game releases
    Often when a new game is released you will have to download extra CIOS files some of which can brick your console making it completely unuseable

Advantages:
    1. Its free
    2. No need to open the console
    3. dont need Twilight Princess any more

Disadvantages:
    1. can Brick your wii
    2. Can be quite messy to install
    3. Invalidates warrenty - all mods do*

Just as softmodding incorrectly can cause damage to your wii, an incorrect mod chip install can also cause damage. Its just a case of knowing what your doing with these things.

I dont consider softmodding the wii "messy", its actually quite fun taking things step by step, and performing all the work yourself. Im of the elk that doesnt see the point at all of wii modchips anymore. Everything they do can be done through softmodding, whilst at the end of the day keeping the hardware stock which I feel is a nice touch.

Im not sure what you mean by compatibility issues on future games, as Im on Waninkokos firmware 4.2E (Yes the dreaded and much feared firmware), and combined with the right homebrew software, I can run ANY game even very latest releases.

However if someone feels softmodding is beyond their grasp and would like to simply chip their wii, then by all means go for it. But I really think before anyone makes that decision, look up some tutorials and do some homework on the subject. It really isnt hard to do, and there are installers for all the bits & pieces required. Have fun :)

There are also rumours of the latest firmware (4.2E) and future ones having mod-chip detection.....some people have upgraded to find their chips not working, then having to downgrade back to 4.0 only to find their chip working again. This may hamper things, as future games will rely on the latest firmware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 eeenymeenyminym

EnterNow wrote: »
    There are also rumours of the latest firmware (4.2E) and future ones having mod-chip detection.....some people have upgraded to find their chips not working, then having to downgrade back to 4.0 only to find their chip working again. This may hamper things, as future games will rely on the latest firmware.

Hi, I actually modify Wiis with soft mod and Hard Mod and sell the units already modded. Im sorry but have to point out that if you do infact update your wii to 4.2 then you can not get back to 4.0. Whoever told you that was either full of s hite or was very misinformed. Once you upgrade to 4.2 you are on it for good. But you should never upgrade your console from its original version because it doesnt beneift you in any way. As for modding, A hard mod is far better than a softmod. Besides the fact that you could brick your system completely if you dont install the software correctly and remove the correct icos the new Drivekey is compatible with 4.2 and has an update facility meaning you never have to remove it and can update the modchip firmware as and when you need to when Nintendo release wen firmware or a new game needs the new firmware to run. If you softmod you will have to continue softmodding everytime nintendo release a game you want to play which relies on the newest firmware.

• Advertisement

Im sorry but have to point out that if you do infact update your wii to 4.2 then you can not get back to 4.0. Whoever told you that was either full of s hite or was very misinformed.

I beg to differ. Before you resurrect a 5 month old thread, you should at least educate yourself in what you are saying. You CAN downgrade from 4.2E.

Also, never upgrade the firmware as it serves no benefit?? What kind of statement is that? What about the newer games which in a normal situation actually REQUIRE you to updrade the firmware? SDHC support? Additional shop features??

You state the drivekey has an update feature, and then go on and say you have to keep "softmodding" when new titles come out in order to play them. Is that not so with the drivekey and why it has an update feature?

I dont think Id trust you modding any console for me man. Your sorely mistaken, on even the fundamentals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Enter now is correct in what he says

Basically if you are on 4.2 or lower you can do whatever you want with a wii (downgrade, softmod whatever)

I also disagree completely with hard mod being the better option than a softmod, it just simply isnt! I'm originally a mod chip installer and it took me a long time to take onboard softmodding (real softmod, not just hb channel) and I honestly would no longer recommend installing chips to anyone, why would you? There is one thing a mod chip can do that a softmod cant, and that one things only costs about €10 second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

As an addendum to this thread, it isn't very often that a firmware update is required to play new games from what I know - this is why various homebrew gives you the option to entirely disable system updates from game discs. Most of these games will play just fine on your older firmware.

Advertisement