Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duff Beer?

Options
  • 26-11-2008 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Is it true that the stables are currently selling Duff Beer? Or is it true that 'gullible' is not in the dictionary?

Someone told me this, and if it is true I cannot wait to try it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

They probably are. They have it in the off licence beside Groody Bar as well. As far as I know it's been available for years but only came into Ireland in the last month or two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Is it true that the stables are currently selling Duff Beer? Or is it true that 'gullible' is not in the dictionary?

Someone told me this, and if it is true I cannot wait to try it.

A friend of mine up here works in an offy at the weekends and they sell it there so yes it's probably true you can indeed get Duff brand beer. Now all I have to do is find some Laramie cigarettes with their smooth tobacco taste.....flavour country here I come.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The Mexican stuff or the English stuff?

(the English stuff is a dark ale that almost no-one would like (it's got a blue and yellow label), the Mexican stuff is regular beer that looks like the Simpsons bottle, there will be a court case, they will lose)

I only looked up both of them earlier today, someone came in yesterday looking for it, I looked at him like he had two heads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

sceptre wrote: »

Here's the Mexican stuff. Rory will know all about that.:P

Thread about it here already

On a side note, Duff is an Irish word and means Dark.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The Don wrote: »
    H

Is it not Dubh... As in Carriag dubh = blackrock??

• Advertisement

I'm no Irish scholar but there chould be a chance that both words mean Dark but are used in different contexts. I got it from the wiki page and we all know that wiki is never wrong.:pac:
    Daleside Brewery in England makes a Duff beer[5] - Duff being Gaelic for dark, this is a 5% abv dark beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

sceptre wrote: »

the Mexican stuff is regular beer that looks like the Simpsons bottle, there will be a court case, they will lose)

I presume you're asking me? It's the Mexican stuff that my friend sells in the offy. I think there's been a court case about it before although nothing to do with a Mexican manufacturer.
    Here's the Mexican stuff. Rory will know all about that.:P

Meh at least I got laid mother ****er.

Wtf? Not in any Irish I was thought or anyone else for that matter I'd imagine.

>>dark<<
    TRANSLATION:
    dark = adj (night, room) dorcha
    dark = crón
    dark = n dorchadas m1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I'm no Irish scholar but there chould be a chance that both words mean Dark but are used in different contexts. I got it from the wiki page and we all know that wiki is never wrong.:pac:

As an Irish scholar I can confirm that Wikipedia is wrong. Duff may sound like dubh, but there is certainly no 'duff' in the Irish language. The nearest you'll get is dufal, which means duffel. I don't think I've ever even seen an Irish word with a double 'f'.

And before anyone asks, in Scots Gaelic, dark is dubh as well so they didn't mean that.

And it's definitely not Welsh, dark in Welsh is tywyll.

Like I said
    I'm no Irish scholar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

In the off licence ''next door'' in the groody shopping centre I know its €12 for 6 bottles which is very expensive and its not that nice at all (especially after 2 or 3)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

yea they are selling it, they also have it in charlies one of the lads got one last week in charlies and to say it tastes like crap is an understatement..its not very nice at all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Yes indeed. Duff is an Irish word, when used in context it is an indicator that there was a malfunction in whatever contraceptive device was used.:p

Nothing to do with dark though.

Amazingly wikipedia now says

"Duff sounds like 'dubh', Gaelic for dark, this is a 5% abv dark beer."

Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Just to answer the original question!!!!
    DUFF IS BEING SOLD IN THE STABLES!!!!!

In my opinion its a cross betwen Budweiser an Miller - bet seen as I hate Bud I'd have to say it tastes like piss!!!!

However if you like Bud or Miller this beer could be for you ..... try it, taste it ............ mabey love it ..... i dunno!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 BalletFreq

Th sell Duff in groody off licence!

DJCR wrote: »
    In my opinion its a cross betwen Budweiser an Miller - bet seen as I hate Bud I'd have to say it tastes like piss!!!!
    Having the same opinion of Bud, I think I'll pass as well

Does sound like piss but may try anyway sometime.

Can't believe anyone hasn't stuck this up yet:

Advertisement