Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Turned up for test...........

Options
  • 26-11-2008 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

At the SGS blackrock test center in Cork and was told that they had doubled booked and there was an IT error with my booking, to which point i was practically kicked out of the place and told to wait for a phone call from SGS's main office in Dublin:mad:.

Had studied and practiced for my date for over a month, did practice runs on the Blackrock routes only to be told by SGS when i did get the call that i would have to do it in the Little Island center.

Plus i was out of pocket for that date as i had booked the use of my instructors car, the staff at SGS Blackrock in Cork could not have cared in the slightest, granded they deal with driving test on a regular basis but the ppl getting tested DON'T and it can be a nervious time, my driving instructor said he had never heard of the likes happening, he said he heard of ppl getting told there test would be canceled a few days before but never someone turning up on the day and being told in no uncertain terms to f&^k off!

Anyway rant over, just wanted to know if anyone out there has heard or experienced the same thing happen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Send a complaint in to sgs asking for refund of the cost of the car/any time of work, forward it to the rsa also.

Might get ya something, demand a new test asap also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭wicklow joe

Sorry to hear that, sgs are doing that for years i had a guy in 1 day, rented a car for the test, did a 3 hour pretest and took the day off work and arrived for the test and he wasnt on the system. He estimated he was out of pocket by €500.

I would forward the complaint to the rsa (as they are the people you applied too for the test). Let the rsa get the answers from sgs on your behalf (the contract is up for review very soon so hopefully they will try to please)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well it's not all wasted time, at least now you'll know the theory parts, and your practice with lessons and pretests will benefit you.
    It is unfortunate. Hopefully you'll get a test date quickly.
    Best of luck OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

From drivingtest.ie FAQ's
    Q. What happens if my test is cancelled through no fault of my own?

A. The Department has a system in place to cover unexpected absences of testers, however, it is not possible to cover all such situations. Occasionally, because of illness to the tester, hazardous weather conditions, etc., the Department cancels tests at short notice. Every effort is made to notify the test candidate immediately. In such circumstances the Department will arrange a further test free of charge at the earliest date possible. The Department will also consider reimbursing certain out of pocket expenses, e.g., hire of vehicle on the day of the cancelled test,due to illness of the tester, on receipt of the appropriate claim in the Department.

Send off a few invoices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The girl I live with turned up for hers 2 weeks ago at an SGS centre and the tester couldnt take her out because her car was adapted to suit her disability. He said he wasnt qualified to test her! SGS complaints fobbed her off and she wrote to the RSA who've offered her a test free of charge with them at a time and date of her suiting. Granted the RSA were very quick in responding to her complaint.

OP put your complaint in writing, as it seems like the only way to get in touch with the RSA. The best you'll be offered is a test with the RSA and hopefully the cost of hiring the car. Get copies of invoices and send them along with your letter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

Ive seen it happen twice, once a friend of mine was doing a truck test and like that was double booked. He got reimbursed for the cost of the truck rentalfor two hours and had his test rescheduled in the same centre within a week. I presume if you talk to them they may let you do it in the same centre given the circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

OP - shoddy treatment alright. I could understand the test being abandoned for other reasons as JR has mentioned but for a double booking one would imagine that common sense would prevail - i.e. squeeze in another test. there are regular 'no shows' anyway so it can't be a major problem. Even if there is no cancellations, what's the problem with putting on another test. I'm sure the examiners go home a little earlier if a last test is cancelled so why not balance the books?
    Nightwish wrote: »
    The girl I live with turned up for hers 2 weeks ago at an SGS centre and the tester couldnt take her out because her car was adapted to suit her disability
    Just playing devil's advocate but did she indicate on the test application form (as is required) that she drives an adapted vehicle? (or it may have been 'farmed out' by the RSA without checking it out properly).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cmcsoft wrote: »
    once a friend of mine was doing a truck test and like that was double booked
    It's much more understandable for truck or bus tests as there are a lot fewer examiners available for these categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 NeonSquares

Thanx for all the advise guys, a letter will be sent out in the morning ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

SGS are turning into cowboys! Trying to save their jobs I think.

I turned up for my test a few months back, and I had a tooth abcess, and the tester must of spent 5 minutes telling me he doesn't think I should do the test, until I told him if he doesn't bring me out I'm just goin to sit here until he does.

I failed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement