Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iRadio in Dublin?

• 26-11-2008 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

Saw some advertising yesterday, in Dublin city centre for Tommy + Hector's iRadio show.
    Didn't get to see it properly (it was on the back of one of those advertising bike thingies) but i thought i saw the frequency listed as 96FM?

Are they broadcasting in Dublin now as well, or is one of the existing stations rebranding under iradio's name? I thought they were only on 102-104 from Galway, and 105-107 from Athlone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I would suggest that it's for the benefit of the advertising and media buying community who nearly all Dublin based.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Yeah that's a really good point BrianD. I would have presumed it was to advertise the fact that they stream online as well but that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can get the Saggart mast across much of West Dublin (104.7) and a huge proportion of their potential audience in Kildare/Meath/Louth will work in Dublin - worth advertising to them as most people were unaware of the launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

i102-104 and i105-107 are the only two stations, but they come under the iradio umbrella. to the best of my knowledge, only two licences were granted.

if you're a business trying to expand just oustide dublin, then i105-107 is a good advertising opportunity.
    And thats why iRadio have spent €238k on advertising - much of it outside their broadcasting area

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Zipper

Actually, parts of Dublin are in the i105-107 broadcast catchment area...or so I was told!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

MYOB wrote: »
    You can get the Saggart mast across much of West Dublin (104.7) and a huge proportion of their potential audience in Kildare/Meath/Louth will work in Dublin - worth advertising to them as most people were unaware of the launch.

Pity then they did not think of that then when locating their studios in Co.Roscommon then eh MYOB?!

Kildare?

When the credit crunch hits i radio will have to buy their audience FREE petrol and give them wind-up radios to listen in on their journey in to work each day!

It is a good idea to advertise on Billboards - I remember once seeing a Radio Nova poster and tuning into them in 1982 when I was age 7. Advertising on Billboards is not a NEW idea! So, hardly innovative and with darkness and smog at this time of year just how effective is it?

Easy to see that you are my favourite poster MYOB?

Zipper wrote: »
    Actually, parts of Dublin are in the i105-107 broadcast catchment area...or so I was told!

Brilliant! Let's all go on hearsay!! It's how the west was won!! lol

Pity then they did not think of that then when locating their studios in Co.Roscommon then eh MYOB?!

Kildare?

When the credit crunch hits i radio will have to buy their audience FREE petrol and give them wind-up radios to listen in on their journey in to work each day!

It is a good idea to advertise on Billboards - I remember once seeing a Radio Nova poster and tuning into them in 1982 when I was age 7. Advertising on Billboards is not a NEW idea! So, hardly innovative and with darkness and smog at this time of year just how effective is it?

Easy to see that you are my favourite poster MYOB?

???

I have no idea what you are talking about here. At all.

i105107's studios are in Athlone which is at the extreme outer reaches of their franchise in one area. How this affects where their potential audience is, I don't see - its a regional station without the funds or the need for multiple studios. You yourself worked on a UK targetted station with its main studios in Meath, did you not?

Zipper wrote: »

http://www.bci.ie/documents/iradio_7.pdf

This has expected coverage plots for service, should be fairly accurate. Even the 'best sender stereo' plots extend much in to County Dublin, this is despite a huge null on the Saggart mast (also shown there).

???

I have no idea what you are talking about here. At all.

i105107's studios are in Athlone which is at the extreme outer reaches of their franchise in one area. How this affects where their potential audience is, I don't see - its a regional station without the funds or the need for multiple studios. You yourself worked on a UK targetted station with its main studios in Meath, did you not?

No, their technical address is Co.Laois.
    And they still have transmission issues ongoing all over the place!! THAT IS A FACT. Places like Monaghan they are still not on in!! Already breaching the terms of their licence!! Way to go i !

No, I did not work in a station in Trim at all, sure the whole thing was a figment of my imagination MYOB.Sure I did not deserve to be there anyway, as far as people like you are concerned.

It DOES affect i radio they are in ATH- effing - lone. Most people in Athlone have never set foot in Dundalk, Drogheda or Navan. Having a Cork person on drive and Limerick girl on midmornings makes great sense. And all of your great points and how brilliant i radio is will be affected in their JNLR's. Furthermore the listeners to Storm and other existing services like Pulse will be actively encouraged to boycott this foreign station! ANOTHER FACT!!

• Advertisement

Have I ever said 'how great' iRadio is? No. I've listened to it for a sum total of 20 minutes. If you can find any posts where I've said how great it is here or on another forum, go ahead and link them here.

And I was actually a listener of yours in the Atlantic days, if you're going to make statements like that. However, had the entire Atlantic staff been in Birmingham, Cardiff, Warrington, Manchester, etc? Doubt it...

Have I ever said 'how great' iRadio is? No. I've listened to it for a sum total of 20 minutes. If you can find any posts where I've said how great it is here or on another forum, go ahead and link them here.

And I was actually a listener of yours in the Atlantic days, if you're going to make statements like that. However, had the entire Atlantic staff been in Birmingham, Cardiff, Warrington, Manchester, etc? Doubt it...

Well forgive me - but since 1997 and the start of boards like this and others .. I have "gotten it on the net" so to speak so I am constantly having to defend myself on here. I cannot have my opinion, there is always someone to shoot me down or post a nasty response often lies and personally offensive material. So forgive me for my agression. It is tempered with time and no matter how you tell people the truth there is always someone to write something else nasty.

No the entire 252 staff weren't in those UK places. We DID have a reach above 30% in some of the places you mentioned though.. interestingly. Let's see i radio get 3% in how their long searched for talent relates to John in Dundalk who likes clubbing and never heard of Athlone and thinks that anything West of Cootehill Co.Cavan is all BOG LOL ! Or Mary in Trim who has no idea what they are the hell on about and retunes to 104 for The Strawberry!! It's a tribal thing... it's like Oil and Water - they just DON'T MIX!

In 252 it was different - we regularly went on trips to the UK and immersed ourselves in UK Culture - Big Brother, The Sun - all high culture things like that!!

I smile actually when I think of those days.. ahh Atlantic was da bomb... all they had to do was do an opt-out on FM for the 105 -107 TSA and we would have been a big hit instantly... 7 years too late for that now. 7 years bad luck since..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Enda I couldn't agree more. Its a shame that the studio's are so far away from what "i" would imagine to be the main cachment area's for i radio. A big opportunity missed for the youth of the North East. They have their work cut out if they think anyone around Drogheda Navan area's will listen whilst the Dublin stations power through.

Very dissapointed with the studio location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

No, i105-107's studios are located in Athlone, in the Co. Roscommon part of the town.

But surely if its a regional station it doesn't matter where it comes from! As long as their programming is as relevent to a listener in Co. Westmeath as it is to one in Co. Louth (etc) it makes no difference!

The Atlantic 252 example is a good one. That station's target audience was the UK; They gave the impression that they were in the UK (the phone number was originally announced as 01 0353 463 66 77 then latterly with a UK premium rate number for example) and they never mentioned that they were sitting in a old house in Trim.

That type of radio is not parochial, it should, and can, be universal to its coverage area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

MYOB, do urself a favour and dont get into an argument with walter mitty there. You think you have no idea what hes talking about? Nobody has. If u like iradio listen, if u dont, then turn off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Guys, as much as those ideas make sense I'm fairly sure the sign was advertising a frequency in the 90-100 range somewhere.
    It could be that they're syndicating the tommy + hector show, and another station in Dublin is rebroadcasting it? That was the main focus of the ad (their show)

(Someone else in my office saw the sign and frequency (they reckoned it said 96) BTW, so i don't think i've gone mad

Advertisement