Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belief without evidence argument

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Ok, forgive me if the following is crap. It's late and my mind is fried.
    Thanks for responding. Also, I'd like the same disclaimer for my posts :)
    You may well have a point, though in terms of evidence and the vague God I've always taken the line that the lack of evidence allows us to dismiss on the basis of negligible likelihood of existence. Not impossibility but improbability so significant as to be no different in practical terms.
    I find it very difficult to reason about what the probability of the existence of a non interventionist higher power (aka 'vague god') outside the universe, might be. The best I can do is really to say that I can't estimate the probability - it could well be infinitesimal, but for all I know its .7
    We have no reason to doubt the objective reality or induction. They are not complex notions. But a God, or a non-testable spaghetti monster or non-detectable orbital teapot are all complex concepts. Without appropriately weighted evidence for them or their influence, it is irrational to assume their existence. The likelihood of their existence is negligible and can be dismissed on that basis.
    You employ a probabilistic argument here, basically saying that we need evidence for improbable (ie complex) things, and therefore it's reasonable to ask for evidence of such deities.

But can we really apply the same reason to something that exists outside the universe, as we would to the orbital teapot?

We can check some orbits for teapots, we have telescopes that show us volumes of space nearby (I know the teapot is too far to see in its orbit, but ones in nearer orbits would be easier to spot). Fundamentally, from what we know of our universe so far, highly ordered complex structures like teapots don't tend to just occur in orbit around space, based on our (assumed) inductive reason applied to the knowledge of the universe we've observed (through our assumed perceptions).

But we've nothing like that to work from when we make comments about deities that may or may not exist outside the universe. We have nothing surely that allows us to make judgments about the probability of their existence.

We can chose to believe they are improbable, but that puts us in no better state than the theist who chooses to believe in the existence of god as an axiom.

So can we really say we can deny their existence on the basis of improbability and lack of evidence? I'm not sure...

I can definitely accept the merits of an argument that says it's not useful to reason about things outside the universe that we have no information about; and that we should just not worry about them - but that's not a particularly strong argument that's going to convince a theist, particularly one who thinks the belief in such a god is useful.

And I'm not sure I can accept the rationale of the stronger argument that demands evidence for these things, again, while believing in other things that there is no evidence for.

rockbeer wrote: »
    Maybe you need to go and look up existentialism :)

Seriously, it is a convincing argument. There is a world of difference between accepting as evidence something that is universally experienced, recognized and relied on. Our senses are the evidence. They are a priori - without them there is nothing.
    Saying senses are a priori is somewhat sidestepping the argument; some people would genuinely say a sense of god is a priori too - not everyone senses it, but not everyone can see either.
    It's hard to argue against this, as having insufficient evidence, which is my point.
    It is quite disingenuous to compare the collective and universally acknowledged evidence of all our senses with the personal sensory claims of random individuals. Of course it's true that on some level one is no more reliable than the other, but I have a simple test for this kind of argument: if you wouldn't live by it - and you've already said you wouldn't - then don't rely on it for a philosophical defence. To do so is ultimately empty posturing because you don't even believe it yourself.
    I'm not saying I'd live by these positions - I am examining a particular line of reason. But just because I wouldn't live by the conclusions of a particular line of argument doesn't mean the argument isn't something I'd take very seriously in order to understand it better, or perhaps examine if I should change things. The fact that I won't instantly follow the results of an argument isn't in itself a refutation of the argument.
    In the end your argument is a straw man. You interpret Dawkins as saying people shouldn't believe in a non-interventionist, deist kind of god without evidence, but I think you've called it wrong. The issue isn't whether people should or shouldn't believe or disbelieve in such a god, but that it's pointless and irrelevant to do so. People can believe in one if they want, but why exactly would they want to?
    Well, it's only a straw man if I've misrepresented Dawkins' position, which I'm not aware of doing. I'm pretty definite that he's included non-interventionist gods in his argument (see my previous quote) and I'm pretty sure he's hammered people who believe in such gods on the basis of a lack of evidence.
    So I don't see any misrepresentation there.
    You can definitely say my argument isn't very interesting or constructive, perhaps because what dawkins was saying is trivially or obviously wrong, but that's not the same as a straw man.
    If, in fact, you are right that misinterpreted and misrepresented Dawkins' position, then you'd be right that it's a straw man, and that I should go and move onto more interesting questions such as you examine there.

It only makes any sense or serves any purpose to believe in an active, interventionist god who intrudes into this universe, and that - as you acknowledge - is where evidence is required. And this of course is exactly the kind of god nearly all religious people do believe in because such a belief has an impact on their lives.
    I think some people take a sense of comfort from the idea that the world was created by a higher being, even if that higher being does not intervene in the running of the universe. Perhaps this is all part of the higher beings plan, perhaps through some process, when we die, the higher being copies some part of us out of this world and puts us in another (completely without interfering with the running of this world). I don't want to get sidetracked on the likelihood of those - just wanted to give an example of a non interventionist god that some might find useful - all this is non interventionist, and yet is very close to the beliefs of people I've talked to (non interventionist, but with an afterlife).
    On the other hand, the god you propose, leaving no trace in this universe, is located utterly in the realm of speculation. I don't have the God Delusion to hand but I think all Dawkins is really doing is pointing this out - he's saying that to invoke such a god serves no purpose.
    Well, as I've just said, it could serve a purpose to some people.
    Since there's no evidence for it, such a belief is simply futile. You could of course say the same about believing in the physical universe on the evidence of your senses, but if you're at that point you should probably be thinking about tying yourself a noose or going out shopping for strong drugs.
    Again, it might provide comfort to some believers. Or it might not.
    My point was that you can't really attack people that believe in such on the absence of evidence - least, not as far as I can see.
    I choose to believe in the reality that's out there, so I'm likely to try and enjoy it a while longer...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Axioms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

fergalr wrote: »
    Saying senses are a priori is somewhat sidestepping the argument; some people would genuinely say a sense of god is a priori too - not everyone senses it, but not everyone can see either.
    It's hard to argue against this, as having insufficient evidence, which is my point.

I don't agree I'm afraid. I don't think you can argue that god is a priori in the same way that sensory evidence is - I would suggest that god is one of two possibilities, neither of which can reasonably be considered a priori.

Either god is a deductive concept, i.e. 'god must exist because how else did we get here?'

Or, god is directly experienced, in which case he/she/it must be interventionist to some degree. I don't see how it's reasonable to argue that someone can have an 'a priori' personal relationship with something that exists entirely outside of our universe and has no impact on it.

I have personal relationships with my dog and my auntie Flo - beings whose existence can be independently verified. If I claim a relationship with an invisible being I should be prepared to provide evidence that it's not my personal delusion. And of course the probability of delusion is increased by the fact that if you ask a random selection of religious people what god is actually like, they will all say something entirely different.

Well, it's only a straw man if I've misrepresented Dawkins' position, which I'm not aware of doing. I'm pretty definite that he's included non-interventionist gods in his argument (see my previous quote) and I'm pretty sure he's hammered people who believe in such gods on the basis of a lack of evidence.

So I don't see any misrepresentation there.
    You can definitely say my argument isn't very interesting or constructive, perhaps because what dawkins was saying is trivially or obviously wrong, but that's not the same as a straw man.
    If, in fact, you are right that misinterpreted and misrepresented Dawkins' position, then you'd be right that it's a straw man, and that I should go and move onto more interesting questions such as you examine there.

I can't find my damn copy of the book. If there were a god he'd make sure I could find the book I need when I need it :pac:

I'll probably waste the day tearing the house apart looking for it now, just to check. But in any case I'd be cautious about assuming that Dawkins is somehow the voice of atheism. He's just one angry guy with some strong opinions.
    I think some people take a sense of comfort from the idea that the world was created by a higher being, even if that higher being does not intervene in the running of the universe.

Quite probably, but I'd say it's a specialized taste. Off the top of my head I can't think of a mainstream religion that honours such a deity.
    Perhaps this is all part of the higher beings plan, perhaps through some process, when we die, the higher being copies some part of us out of this world and puts us in another (completely without interfering with the running of this world). I don't want to get sidetracked on the likelihood of those - just wanted to give an example of a non interventionist god that some might find useful - all this is non interventionist, and yet is very close to the beliefs of people I've talked to (non interventionist, but with an afterlife).

Ah, well, now you seem to be wanting to have it both ways - a completely non-interventionist deity that exists entirely outside our known universe, and yet... and yet, it can still 'copy parts of people' (?) and spirit them away to an afterlife. At this point I think I'd be well entitled to start asking for evidence.

My point was that you can't really attack people that believe in such on the absence of evidence - least, not as far as I can see.

I don't think I've ever met such a person. In my experience, everybody's deity shows up here in the end.

I choose to believe in the reality that's out there, so I'm likely to try and enjoy it a while longer...

Fine idea. I'm relieved to hear that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I think it is fair to say most atheists believe in the accuracy of perceived external reality.

Why do they do so?
    What evidence have they that allows them to say that the world they perceive is real?

Well all of it really. All the evidence suggests the world we perceive is real. What evidence is there that the world isn't real? As far as I know there isn't any.
    To be clear, I think it is useful to believe that I am perceiving a world beyond me, a world that exists and is real. But I have no evidence for this.
    What do you mean you have no evidence for this? I would have said you have no evidence but this.

The only evidence we have available to us is that the world is real and exists outside of our minds. We can imagine that this isn't true, that we are some how being tricked by say a Matrix like computer, and we have no evidence that this isn't true (invoking the negative, as I said), because by its very nature such a simulation would be designed to only provide evidence that made it appear like the world was real. In other words it would be a trick.

So again, whether the world is real or an elaborate illusion, the only evidence we have is that the world is real.
    You are assuming that the perception of the universe is evidence of the universe.

Yes, because that is the only evidence we have. You are introducing a hypothesis and saying we have no evidence that this isn't true, because by its very nature such an situation as detailed in your hypothesis is designed to deceive.

My response is that you are getting ahead of yourself. Instead of asking what evidence do we have that the hypothesis isn't true, ask what evidence do we have that it is. What evidence do we have that the world is imaginary?
    Evidence that a god, a non interactive one (was just looking through dawkins stuff, he says people who believe in things like this are called 'deists', I believe) does not exist? Surely this is not possible?
    Well I would have to see what Dawkins claimed to comment. Do you have a link?
    I'm just saying that atheists that believe in the existence of the external reality do so without evidence

Again, as far as I'm concerned the only evidence we have is for the existence of the external reality, and no evidence to the contrary.

What you appear to mean by evidence for the existence of external reality is in fact evidence that we are not living in a super computer, or evidence that we are not all in some dream state, or evidence that I'm not in a coma imagining this conversation. Which again is what I mean by invoking the negative.

rather than equating belief that the external world is real with belief in God, I would go the other way and say that belief in God is like belief that the world is in fact the Matrix. It is something we can hypothsis, something we can imagine, something that we can use our own perceptions in our own minds as "evidence" for (deja vu for example), but something we actually have no proper evidence for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

fergal -

You summarised above what you're saying, thanks for that but I still feel that that you can't just rescue your ability to use inductive reasoning by simply excluding it as an example.

So to summarise, your observation that atheists are illogical (or hypocritical) to criticize theists for belief in something they have no evidence for is countered with:

"Well aren't you illogical/hypocritical to criticize atheists because to do so you must use a form of inductive reasoning to make your argument and you have no evidence that it works."

pH wrote: »
    fergal -

You summarised above what you're saying, thanks for that but I still feel that that you can't just rescue your ability to use inductive reasoning by simply excluding it as an example.

So to summarise, your observation that atheists are illogical (or hypocritical) to criticize theists for belief in something they have no evidence for is countered with:

"Well aren't you illogical/hypocritical to criticize atheists because to do so you must use a form of inductive reasoning to make your argument and you have no evidence that it works."

I acknowledge the possibility that's a flaw in the original argument, in that one of my examples of something that many atheists believe, without evidence, ie, inductive reason, if I use it may expose me to the criticism that I use inductive reasoning without evidence for it in my argument here.
    I covered this in post 63.

I deal with this criticism in two ways.
    Way 1 is that I can argue the idea: "that atheists assume inductive reasoning without evidence", in an argument that uses inductive reason as a given.
    My argument is only valid, obviously, if you accept inductive reason, but that does not take from it's validity when you do.

In other words, I can show that inductive reason is something we choose to believe in as an act of faith, using inductive reasoning, without my argument being exposed to any weakness, except that one must accept inductive reasoning as a prerequisite. Everyone here does (although as a matter of faith) so it's not a problem. If I was trying to argue from nothing (from 'first priniciples' or some such), it'd be a problem, but I'm not, I'm quite happy to assume inductive logic and hang my argument on that.
    I then show that inductive logic isn't something we must neccessarily believe, but as long as we do in fact continue to believe it, the argument holds. This would certainly be rubbish if I was using inductive logic to prove inductive logic. I'm not, I'm using inductive logic to make statements about inductive logic. (as an aside the terms here are used pretty loosely, I'm not sure they are at all referring to the same system).

If this isn't convincing to you though - I find it tricky to think about, so I don't want to say I'm 100% right above - please consider that I never attacked the self evidentness of inductive logic, and instead just cited our belief in the objective reality of our perceived reality as an example of things atheists believe without evidence; hence the original argument stands (atheists still believe something without evidence).

I don't agree I'm afraid. I don't think you can argue that god is a priori in the same way that sensory evidence is - I would suggest that god is one of two possibilities, neither of which can reasonably be considered a priori.
    I would suggest two possibilities, either the external world is real as perceived, or its a simulation, neither of which can really be considered to be taken 'a priori'. (many other possibilities too, but lets just consider those two of them).
    Either god is a deductive concept, i.e. 'god must exist because how else did we get here?'

Or, god is directly experienced, in which case he/she/it must be interventionist to some degree. I don't see how it's reasonable to argue that someone can have an 'a priori' personal relationship with something that exists entirely outside of our universe and has no impact on it.

Or god could just be an assumed 'given' as part of the experience of reality?

I'm not arguing for a personal relationship, other than one way (the god listens etc but doesn't effect change in the word).
    It's definitely reasonable to postulate this - might not be useful or whatever, but you can't knock it on the grounds it has no evidence.
    I have personal relationships with my dog and my auntie Flo - beings whose existence can be independently verified. If I claim a relationship with an invisible being I should be prepared to provide evidence that it's not my personal delusion.
    Why? Atheists are not asked to provide evidence that, for example, their belief in the realness of their perceived world, or the sentience of other humans, is not a personal delusion.
    And of course the probability of delusion is increased by the fact that if you ask a random selection of religious people what god is actually like, they will all say something entirely different.
    I'm not sure this is an argument for the probability of delusion of any one individual under consideration, but it is definitely an argument for the probability of delusion of the non-overlapping parts of the faith of a randomly chosen believer.
    I can't find my damn copy of the book. If there were a god he'd make sure I could find the book I need when I need it :pac:
    The god under consideration is non interventionist, so is not likely to intervene.
    However, as previously pointed out by Dades, the god in question is a librarian, if of souls, so while they can't do anything to help, they are undoubtedly sympathetic to your plight.
    I'll probably waste the day tearing the house apart looking for it now, just to check. But in any case I'd be cautious about assuming that Dawkins is somehow the voice of atheism. He's just one angry guy with some strong opinions.
    In previous posts I was quite careful to say that I'm only attacking the argument of atheists, like Dawkins, that attack believers in a non-interventionist god for having no evidence.
    I'm not talking about atheists generally, although I do believe that the vast majority of atheists will believe things which they have no evidence for (although only a smaller amount with attack deist belief on the grounds of lack of evidence)
    Originally Posted by fergalr
    I think some people take a sense of comfort from the idea that the world was created by a higher being, even if that higher being does not intervene in the running of the universe.
    Quite probably, but I'd say it's a specialized taste. Off the top of my head I can't think of a mainstream religion that honours such a deity.
    That's fine, quite happy to restrict things to this specialized taste - as I pointed on (and gave relevant quote), when Dawkins outlines his God Hypothesis, he does include the type of non interventionist god in his sights, which is why I'm arguing here in the first place.
    Ah, well, now you seem to be wanting to have it both ways - a completely non-interventionist deity that exists entirely outside our known universe, and yet... and yet, it can still 'copy parts of people' (?) and spirit them away to an afterlife. At this point I think I'd be well entitled to start asking for evidence.
    I don't really want to go down that road, as it's not essential to the argument.
    But briefly, I can conceive, with no logical contradiction, or a deity that could observe the universe without changing it. (Again, is it useful to reason about such, or useful to believe in such? Maybe not) (I don't consider a quantum worldview based argument a refutation of this).
    Originally Posted by fergalr
    I don't think I've ever met such a person. In my experience, everybody's deity shows up here in the end.
    Again, I'm not supporting Gods or deities here, just asking whether it is reasonable to argue against them on the grounds that they lack evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

This is getting a bit silly now because you're not actually refuting my points with argument, just saying that you disagree. Well, OK, but don't mistake that for clear thinking or anything.
    I would suggest two possibilities, either the external world is real as perceived, or its a simulation, neither of which can really be considered to be taken 'a priori'. (many other possibilities too, but lets just consider those two of them).

Sure, but the point is that the effect is the same whichever turns out to be true. Whether things are as they seem or merely seem to be as they seem, it is still the same framework in which we function.

If you like, but a completely non-essential one. God is not necessary and is not suggested by our sensory input therefore why assume it exists.

And also on this basis, why not assume all sorts of other things that aren't necessary and for which there is no evidence. On this basis you should never question or challenge any belief no matter how bizarre nor unsupported by evidence since you require neither evidence nor utility. So for your argument to stand, you have to come up with a justification for belief in god that would not apply to belief in [literally anything else you can imagine].

I'm not arguing for a personal relationship, other than one way (the god listens etc but doesn't effect change in the word).
    It's definitely reasonable to postulate this - might not be useful or whatever, but you can't knock it on the grounds it has no evidence.

I don't agree. How does a being 'listen' to us if it exists entirely outside our universe? Magic powers, I guess. Anyway, if you aren't arguing for belief from personal experience then we're left with the deductive god since the assumed god isn't necessary to complete our experience of the universe.
    Why? Atheists are not asked to provide evidence that, for example, their belief in the realness of their perceived world, or the sentience of other humans, is not a personal delusion.

Why single out atheists? Everyone shares the same - or almost the same - sensory evidence about our perceived reality. If atheists experience of it differed in any definable way from that of theists or deists you might have a case, but really it's all or nothing. Either we all have to prove we aren't suffering a delusion in an infinite (and boring) metaphysical loop, or none of us do. It's only where our perceptions differ that evidence is required.

I'm not sure this is an argument for the probability of delusion of any one individual under consideration, but it is definitely an argument for the probability of delusion of the non-overlapping parts of the faith of a randomly chosen believer.

Parsing, please wait...

In previous posts I was quite careful to say that I'm only attacking the argument of atheists, like Dawkins, that attack believers in a non-interventionist god for having no evidence.

Fair enough, but we haven't actually established whether or not he does this and you haven't offered another example of it so I'm starting to wonder what the point is. I still suspect straw man, but until I find that damn book...
    I'm not talking about atheists generally, although I do believe that the vast majority of atheists will believe things which they have no evidence for (although only a smaller amount with attack deist belief on the grounds of lack of evidence)

So you're still denying that sensory input is evidence? tbh, if you won't accept that then I think our little chat is nearing its end as I'm starting to suspect you of extracting the michael.

I don't really want to go down that road, as it's not essential to the argument.

It is crucial to the argument if you suddenly decide to move the goalposts and have your non-interventionist god do things like whisk people away to an outer-realm afterlife. If you don't want me to go there, you'd better not go there.
    But briefly, I can conceive, with no logical contradiction, or a deity that could observe the universe without changing it. (Again, is it useful to reason about such, or useful to believe in such? Maybe not) (I don't consider a quantum worldview based argument a refutation of this).

On what basis do you reject a refutation from quantum mechanics? Why do you get to pick and choose what evidence is admissable? I really can't see this going anywhere useful...

Again, I'm not supporting Gods or deities here, just asking whether it is reasonable to argue against them on the grounds that they lack evidence.

But what we keep coming up against is your definition of evidence, which suggests that there is literally no acceptable evidence for anything. Which makes all discussion kind of futile.

Bye.

Wicknight wrote: »
    Well all of it really. All the evidence suggests the world we perceive is real. What evidence is there that the world isn't real? As far as I know there isn't any.

I don't see it like this.
    If we start from a position of no knowledge, I don't see how we can get to a position where we can claim that what we perceive is real and out there beyond our perceptions. Or, more correctly, I don't see a way of doing this, thats based on evidence.
    Instead of starting from a position of no knowledge, the only reasonable thing to do is to start from a position where we believe our perceptions do convey us information about a real world that's out there.
    Why not also include a sense of god in that starting position too?
    What do you mean you have no evidence for this? I would have said you have no evidence but this.

If you take your sensory perceptions to be evidence for the existence of the world, then, yes, we have nothing but evidence for it.
    But how did you get there? What enables you to take your sensory perceptions as evidence for the existence of the world? How do you know they aren't wired to a computer system?
    You have no evidence based reason to prefer one hypothesis above the other, yet you do.
    I'm not saying it's wrong to do so - but I am asking that it be acknowledged that this is done without evidence.
    The only evidence we have available to us is that the world is real and exists outside of our minds. We can imagine that this isn't true, that we are some how being tricked by say a Matrix like computer, and we have no evidence that this isn't true (invoking the negative, as I said), because by its very nature such a simulation would be designed to only provide evidence that made it appear like the world was real. In other words it would be a trick.

So again, whether the world is real or an elaborate illusion, the only evidence we have is that the world is real.
    Where does this evidence come from? That the world is real? Surely you must conclude we have no more evidence that is it real than that it is not?

Your argument only works if you assume the correctness of your senses.
    But you assume this correctness without evidence.

Yes, because that is the only evidence we have. You are introducing a hypothesis and saying we have no evidence that this isn't true, because by its very nature such an situation as detailed in your hypothesis is designed to deceive.

My response is that you are getting ahead of yourself. Instead of asking what evidence do we have that the hypothesis isn't true, ask what evidence do we have that it is. What evidence do we have that the world is imaginary?

Look, I can't show the world is imaginary, any more than you can show the world is real.
    So there is no evidence based reason to prefer one hypothesis above the other.
    The only way you see 'evidence' for your point of view is if you take your senses as real; but that's begging the question.
    That's what I'm trying to say.

So it could be real, could be imaginary, since all the evidence we have for things comes from our senses, well, they aren't much help here, because they could be connected to the real world or the imaginary one, so we are in a position of no evidence.
    We can choose to believe either.

I choose to believe the world is real, and not imaginary, because it's a more useful hypothesis for me to live my life by.
    I don't claim to have evidence that backs this assertion up, but I do believe it.
    I think this is very reasonable.
    Well I would have to see what Dawkins claimed to comment. Do you have a link?

Again, as far as I'm concerned the only evidence we have is for the existence of the external reality, and no evidence to the contrary.

What you appear to mean by evidence for the existence of external reality is in fact evidence that we are not living in a super computer, or evidence that we are not all in some dream state, or evidence that I'm not in a coma imagining this conversation. Which again is what I mean by invoking the negative.
    I don't think it works like that.
    If we have a box, and you say the box is full of oxygen, and I say 'wait, what evidence do you have for that, it could be full of nitrogen instead' you can't turn around to me and say "You are asking me for evidence there's NOT nitrogen in it! That's invoking a negative!" and win the argument, proving there's oxygen in the box.

I'm not saying we are living in a super computer. I am merely saying we could be, and everything would fit.
    I am saying that it's another hypothesis, which we have as much evidence for, as the hypothesis that our perceptions accurately reflect a world that's real.
    I'm asking you to either provide evidence that the hypothesis that the perceptual world is real is true (don't think you'll get it because you have to assume your perceptions are true in order to do so), or concede that it's a position that is arrived at based on utility, rather than evidence (nothing wrong with this, imo).

rather than equating belief that the external world is real with belief in God, I would go the other way and say that belief in God is like belief that the world is in fact the Matrix. It is something we can hypothsis, something we can imagine, something that we can use our own perceptions in our own minds as "evidence" for (deja vu for example), but something we actually have no proper evidence for.
    See my last on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

You say he is only talking about belief without evidence within the confines of this reality - but how can he use what is in the confines of this reality to argue about the existence of a god outside the reality?
    And he is including god outside this reality, within his scope.
    I quote from Dawkins, God Delusion, page 60, under the chapter 'The God Hypothesis' where Dawkins sets out the sort of god he is talking about:
    So he definitely states he is dealing with a non interventionist god there, and then he goes on later to hammer theists for their lack of evidence for their god.
    ... I don't see how Dawkins can form a 'god hypothesis' if he includes gods like that. I don't see the answer to this in his book either?
    Why do you make the jump from non-interventionist god within this reality to a non-intervening god outside the confines of our reality? When I read The God Delusion I read it as a non-interventionist god within the confines of this reality and not what you’re proposing, but I'm open to correction.

You've changed the argument considerably when you change the realm of ‘god’ from within our reality to outside our reality. I would suggest the atheist only makes claims about this reality; as has already been pointed out, if this non-interventionist god does exist outside of our reality, then they might as well not exist as they do not tangibly influence our reality at all.
    Surely, neither is a non-interventionist god which exists outside the universe testable?
    This is exactly the point, there is no way to test for a non-interventionist god and therefore to most atheists I would say that it makes the point irrelevant. Should we really concern ourselves with things that we cannot test within this reality, let alone have no evidence for? The non-interventionist god outside this reality is only limited by our imagination - it could be a guinea pig, an old woman, a spaghetti monster... anything. With each consideration being equally plausible.
    I agree. It's a very useful thing to have faith in our senses.
    That's how I operate. But that faith in our senses is something we just believe without evidence for, as far as I can see.
    I follow you perfectly in your arguments, but I think my frustration with your argument comes from your assertion that there is no evidence for this reality. As Wicknight points out, there is evidence for this reality. So then you’re left questioning our senses themselves. Where can this possibly lead? When I said “Outside of metaphysics, there's no real debate there.” I did not mean ‘My opinion is so awesome, shut up.’ I meant that there can be no debate using this reasoning as all positions are equally valid, and therefore, how can one have a reasoned debate? Metaphysical and existential philosophers are happy to have debates that go nowhere, but if we are to be logical and reasonable when we enter a debate, it must be possible to argue each position. I know I’m repeating myself here, but I feel the point needs to be stressed – when we question the veracity of our senses, every position and possibility regarding our reality becomes equally true.
    This is what I mean when I say that this metaphysical philosophy abandons evidence and logic. Surely a logical person concerns themselves only with questions that can be reasoned?

Allow me to confuse matters further. If you exist within this reality, and your brain which constitutes your consciousness exists within this reality, how can said consciousness make logical and reasoned statements about what exists outside of this reality, or indeed about the truth of said reality? If you exist within this reality then everything about you is coloured by that reality. Anyone who makes comments about this reality and what may lie outside it is putting ‘faith’ in their reasoning.
    Now you are arguing based on popularity?
    Perhaps I wasn’t clear and I agree with rockbeers elaboration. I’m not arguing based on popularity, I’m arguing based on reasoned assessment of our senses.
    If we take the colour blue as an example: It is possible that what I see as blue and what you see as blue are actually in fact two different colours. We cannot describe what ‘blue’ is. However, on closer examination, we can conclude that any difference in our perception is unimportant. We both say the sky is ‘blue’. We both mix ‘blue’ and ‘yellow’ to make ‘green’. We both categorize the ‘idea’ of blue, and experience blue, in the same way, and therefore our perception does not matter. The same can be said for reality. It does not matter if our perception of reality is in fact ‘true’. We both experience it in the same way. Although it is possible that our senses aren’t trustworthy, we both experience reality in the same way using our senses and evidence. It is this common agreement on reality that makes theistic arguments flawed, as in order for us to agree with what they are saying we must change our perception of reality without any evidence to justify it. Reality is objective, 'god' is subjective.
    So, atheists need cold hard evidence, all the time, except for this leap of faith, but that's ok, because everyone makes this leap of faith. That really isn't a terribly convincing argument to me.
    I agree that arguments from popularity and authority hold no ground, but that’s not the argument I was making. How is there a leap of faith in reality, when we do have evidence for reality? As I have argued already, to doubt the veracity of our senses themselves gets us nowhere, and in fact lends your consciousness itself the same credence you deny our senses.
    We are discussing the need for evidence in the existence of god.
    If god exists within this reality, then there must be evidence within this reality for its existence. If god exists outside of this reality, there should still be evidence of god if it interfers with this reality. If the god exists outside of this reality, and does not interfere in this reality, then we do not need to consider the existence of this god, as this god has no bearing what so ever upon our reality.
    Yes, I agree that not everyone makes that leap of faith, clearly.
    However my point is that atheists do make some leaps of faith, without evidence.
    For example, you just said that:
    GothPunk wrote: »
    Besides, everyone makes this leap of 'faith' (with evidence you don't seem to trust) regarding reality [...]
    My point is that it's hard to criticise theists for leaps of faith about these big issues if atheists also make leaps of faith, about big issues, albeit different issues.
    Again, they are not comparable leaps of faith. The atheist bases their position upon evidence within this reality. The theist bases their position on blind faith using no evidence from this reality. However, you are calling into question the evidence itself and the veracity of our senses. Do you see what I mean now when I say you’re not comparing like with like?
    As has already been requested - can you demonstrate for us how there is no evidence for this reality? Or can you only call into question whether our senses tell us the truth of reality? This is what I mean when I say you’re being intellectually disingenuous; you keep repeating that there is no evidence of this reality when quite clearly there is. The *spooky voice* comment was my attempt at a joke – I think it’s funny when someone questions the validity of our senses. No disrespect intended. (Perhaps my word use is too harsh, let me just say that I appreciate someone asking so many questions, replying to all the answers and then asking new informed questions. It’s the anti-thesis of what usually happens!)
    Are you trying to gather a lot of responses from people saying they are tired with reasoning like this?
    I would ask you to start another thread if that is your goal, as I'm trying to have an discussion with people who are interested in this, rather than take a straw poll of people who don't want to talk about it, thanks.
    That’s not what I meant at all. My comment was born from this post:
    Dades wrote: »
    I fcuking hate philosophy. / But what if... *slap*
    Perhaps I should take this elsewhere, but bear with me for a second. Do you think that atheists are more likely to be bothered by existentialist/metaphysical philosophies such as the debate here? (I don’t exactly mean just because you’re saying atheists have faith in their senses.) Seeing as the atheist viewpoint in general is informed by the power of evidence and the lack of evidence for god. I would suggest that existentialist/metaphysical philosophers are highly likely to be agnostic.

Although this argument frustrates me, I do find it interesting. I’m not asking people to say they think this argument is boring, stupid or something unhelpful like that - I’m asking if this argument unsettles them as it questions the very core of their viewpoint, whereas atheists merely disagree with the theistic viewpoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I believe there is no evidence for a god
    I believe there is not not evidence for a god
    I believe there is not not not evidence for a god
    I believe there is not not not not evidence for a god
    I believe there is not not not not not evidence for a god

lim (not) to infinity

This is getting a bit silly now because you're not actually refuting my points with argument, just saying that you disagree. Well, OK, but don't mistake that for clear thinking or anything.
    I don't agree with you there; but anyway.
    Sure, but the point is that the effect is the same whichever turns out to be true. Whether things are as they seem or merely seem to be as they seem, it is still the same framework in which we function.
    Yes, I agree the effect is the same, whichever turns out to be true.
    If this was the position everyone took (that they weren't sure whether or not the external world was real) then my example wouldn't be relevant.
    But it's quite commonly held, among athiests, that the external world is real, without evidence, while at the same time they bash theists for believing in god without evidence.

I only use this as an example of something that's believed without evidence because I needed one. I suspect I could find another, but that's beside the point here.
    My point is that we sometimes do believe things without evidence, so we can't really knock others for that too harshly.
    If you like, but a completely non-essential one. God is not necessary and is not suggested by our sensory input therefore why assume it exists.
    I am not trying to make an argument for the utility of God; though I did give examples of situations where some might consider such a god useful, to show I am not arguing a completely trivial case.
    I'm just trying to say that you can't dismiss it due to lack of evidence.
    So I don't want to go into the why of it, just that you can't defeat it on the basis it has no evidence.
    And also on this basis, why not assume all sorts of other things that aren't necessary and for which there is no evidence. On this basis you should never question or challenge any belief no matter how bizarre nor unsupported by evidence since you require neither evidence nor utility. So for your argument to stand, you have to come up with a justification for belief in god that would not apply to belief in [literally anything else you can imagine].
    My argument, and I've said this many times, is simply that you can't attack such a belief based on the lack of evidence for it, which you've just given me there.
    I'm not really considering utility at all (see above).
    We could come back to it another time, but I suspect we'd agree quite closely and have nothing to talk about.

I don't agree. How does a being 'listen' to us if it exists entirely outside our universe? Magic powers, I guess.
    Ah come on, we can't use our world view, such as the physical laws we've derived inside this universe, to reason about the limitations a being outside the universe may or may not have. Yes, of course it'd be 'magic power' in some sense.
    I will definitely accept you dismissing the whole thing as being outside human reason, or irrelevant, or unknowable, or even an argument that the question doesn't make sense to the human experience; just won't accept an argument that dismisses it on a lack of evidence, or a non adherence to established physical rules.

I really really don't want to get into the extreme hypothetical, but seeing as your challenging me to not just give opinions, I mean, I can concieve of the world being an absolutely huge computer simulation in another world, running inside a some sort of thought experiment universe computer, in which case anything would be up for grabs.
    Is this ridiculous to talk about? Probably. A waste of time? Probably. Useful? Don't think so, except to maybe understand our limitations.
    Those are all good things to say.
    But I don't think you can reject it on the basis of a lack of evidence, that's all. It's an untestable hypothesis, which isn't a hypothesis at all, and thus shouldn't be treated as such, or attacked as such.
    Which is my original point, it's just a given, and if someone wants to believe that, you can only make arguments on utility etc, not just based on lack of evidence.
    Anyway, if you aren't arguing for belief from personal experience then we're left with the deductive god since the assumed god isn't necessary to complete our experience of the universe.

Why single out atheists? Everyone shares the same - or almost the same - sensory evidence about our perceived reality.
    I singled out, specifically, atheists that attack non interventionist deists on the basis of a lack of evidence.
    I singled them out because they were doing that attack, and I talk about them because I wanted to show that at least many of them also believed things without evidence.
    If atheists experience of it differed in any definable way from that of theists or deists you might have a case, but really it's all or nothing. Either we all have to prove we aren't suffering a delusion in an infinite (and boring) metaphysical loop, or none of us do. It's only where our perceptions differ that evidence is required.
    As far as I'm concerned the only ones that have to prove provide evidence they aren't suffering a delusion in an infinite and boring metaphysical loop are those who: 1)believe in external reality, 2)believe that their belief is based on evidence, 3)believe theists have no evidence of their untestable god, and 4) attack the theists because th theists believe something without evidence.

I'm just asking to see the evidence in 2) from these people, or that they stop doing 4) and 2)
    Parsing, please wait...
    It's not that hard to parse in fairness...
    I was simply saying that the fact that a lot of people have different faiths isn't an argument that a particular faith of a particular believer is wrong.

However, as the multiple faiths contradict each other or believe seperate things (non-overlapping), then as the number of incompatible faiths increases, the probably that a single individual chosen at random would have a faith that is somehow 'correct' decreases.
    To put it another way, if you believe the world is round, and we add another 10billion flat earth humans to the mix, it doesn't alter the odds of you being correct, but it does alter the odds of a randomly chosen human being correct.
    Fair enough, but we haven't actually established whether or not he does this and you haven't offered another example of it so I'm starting to wonder what the point is. I still suspect straw man, but until I find that damn book...
    Post 87 has the quote I was working from, which is in his chapter on 'the god hypothesis' so I think it's relevant.
    But yes, if this turned out to be me misconstruing his argument that'd definitely clear some things up.
    So you're still denying that sensory input is evidence? tbh, if you won't accept that then I think our little chat is nearing its end as I'm starting to suspect you of extracting the michael.
    Not taking the mickey on purpose anyway, though I acknowledge its a pretty out there subject of discussion, and that I will almost certainly look back on this in just a bit and go 'omg, I wrote *that* on the *internet* where everyone can read it?' but at the same time, I mean, you've got to try and grapple with these things once in a while, and I think 1)dawkins would be happy to see people challenging and discussing this 2) its quite a reasonable thing to do to challenge and discuss important ideas, of which atheism, and believe without evidence as well, seems to be one.

I just wrote what I consider fairly convincing about sensory input in my last post - can you refute that stuff there?
    It is crucial to the argument if you suddenly decide to move the goalposts and have your non-interventionist god do things like whisk people away to an outer-realm afterlife. If you don't want me to go there, you'd better not go there.
    I meant, and I thought this was clear, non interventionist in the sense of not interfering with this universe.
    Again, subject to all my earlier disclaimers about how rational it is to reason about things outside the universe, but I can convince of a non interventionist god making a copy of ones consciousness from the universe without intervening in the universe itself.
    If the universe was a giant computer program in a simulation, you could copy the memory that represented the current state of the human mind (for example) without intervening in the universe itself. Everything in the simulation would appear unchanged. That's 'saving' the soul, without intervening in the universe.
    And before anyone launches into an attack on me here (or before I start gathering followers) - I'm not putting this forward as a theory of reality, merely a thought experiment about how it might be possible to plausibly do what I said without intervening. And I totally accept arguments saying it's not possible to reason about the limitations of such things outside universe etc etc.
    Might all be rubbish, it's not a core point of my argument, just as an aside.
    Again, I'll certainly accept it's not useful to reason about such a thing.
    On what basis do you reject a refutation from quantum mechanics? Why do you get to pick and choose what evidence is admissable? I really can't see this going anywhere useful...
    Same reason as above.
    Why would a higher power outside the universe by limited by the laws of the universe (eg QM, changing things by observing them).
    Again, if it helps as a thought experiment, consider my simulation example above.
    But my core point here is you could not use laws within this universe to enforce potential limitations on a higher power that existed outside it.
    But what we keep coming up against is your definition of evidence, which suggests that there is literally no acceptable evidence for anything. Which makes all discussion kind of futile.
    I've already dealt with this.
    I think it's quite reasonable to have a discussion that calls into question whether we should believe one interpretation of our perceptions above others.
    Yes, that means certain things can't be admissible as evidence, that normally would "I saw him", but that doesn't mean it's unreasonable to discuss these things.
    As a technologist, I'm fairly convinced that with current technological development people will eventually build technology that can totally fool human perception - if these questions seem to be stupid or irrelevant now, then perhaps they'll be fair game then.
    Bye.
    Thanks for the contributions anyway, appreciate the insight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭leaba

Wicknight explained at length the point you are missing. You replied that you don't see it like this. This is what I mean by missing the point.

This thread reminds me of a creationist debate so I'm going to take my leave and retreat to my particular corner of this duck's arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

What I've been trying to say in a nutshell.

So comparisons:
    Guy believes in a god but doesnt claim to know it but has faith that it exists.
    Guy believes that we live in a computer simulation but doesnt claim to know any more but has faith that it exists.
    Neither feel the need for anyone else to believe them and do not interfere with anyone elses life that goes against their beliefs.

Fair enough. Each to their own and all that. I'd still consider either a bit mad but harmless believing in something that there is no evidence that in might exist unlike our reality which theres a good chance does exist in that our senses suggest it exist (maybe they're lying maybe they're not but its atleast a suggestion) unlike both their beliefs which are based on NOTHING but a idea picked outta the sky (which may or may not exist :P).

And Im pretty sure most atheists would disagree but see little harm in it. However I dont know many people that believe a god exists but dont claim to know any more details and if I did I'd consider them agnostic rather than religious per se.

The problem for most atheists starts when this god or computer simulator starts talking to these people telling them to go out and teach others the right path, the only path to salvation. Thats where it goes from harmless belief in some improbable situation to a major annoyance.

To go down a well beaten route with a twist lets say I tell you I believe in a big giant spaghetti monster but no one can see hear smell feel or taste him as he invented us so our senses cant detect him. Whats your oppinion of me now?

Now lets say I claim I can see him through a power he gave me as he wanted to communicate with me and give the world message. Opinion of me now?

Now lets say I want my message taught to your kids in school as actual fact. I also dont want them being taught maths as its now a sin. Opinion of me now?

Now I want to tell you that if you dont believe the same your going to boil in a big pot in space(also invisible) when you die. Now lets say I get my wish most people agree with what I say and start attending church of the spaghetti monster and changing their very lives because of this spaghetti monster, which in his defence is just as likely to exist as anything else by this conversation.

Now lets say at some point this starts to annoy you. People are holding back civilisation by not studying maths, investing tonnes of money in spaghetti chapels (which are not cheap to upkeep, being made out of pasta) and spending their time investing themselves further into this belief.

So you try and point out how ridiculous their beliefs are but no matter what you do, even if you disprove his existence (and well done as disproving something exists is pretty tough especially when its all powerful) people just reply saying its a test of their faith.

Now thats the problem atheists generally have.

To give a shorter example heres a made up situation where someone actually proves that reality as we see it doesnt actually exist:

John: You know we live in a computer simulation?
    Steve: Cop on.
    John: See that tree over there it glitches at 3pm everday watch.
    Steve: Suuuure...
    *tree disappears*
    Steve: Wow John maybe you're right I'm open to testing out your theory.

No someone discussing god:

John: There's a god
    Steve: Where?
    John: You can't see him.
    Steve: How do you know he exists?
    John: I just do.
    Steve: But what about all the bad things that happen?
    John: He works in mysterious ways.
    Steve: Like how?
    John: He just does.
    Steve: Ok what about science proving that universe started with a big bang and not with Adam and Eve.
    John: Oh they were only ever metaphors.
    Steve: How come no one put that at the start of the book then? Was jesus a metaphor?
    John: No.
    Steve: Ok. Then why dont I believe in him? If he's all powerful?
    John: Its a test of faith.
    Steve: Ok what about that big sign that fell from the sky saying "There is no God.. This sign was written by a spaghetti monster"
    John: Test of faith
    Steve: Jeez!!!

Why do you make the jump from non-interventionist god within this reality to a non-intervening god outside the confines of our reality? When I read The God Delusion I read it as a non-interventionist god within the confines of this reality and not what you’re proposing, but I'm open to correction.
    Your reading may well be better than mine - if the book refers to one within this reality, then I apologise to the book and it's author; as it's clearly fine to ask for evidence of such.
    The discussion is still interesting when applied to deists though.
    You've changed the argument considerably when you change the realm of ‘god’ from within our reality to outside our reality.
    Yes, I would agree this is a considerable and defining change. I would find it very hard to defend a non interventionist god which lives in our reality, or protect such from the requirement of evidence. From my understanding of religious teachings though, many do claim that their god is outside this reality (if interventionist)
    I would suggest the atheist only makes claims about this reality; as has already been pointed out, if this non-interventionist god does exist outside of our reality, then they might as well not exist as they do not tangibly influence our reality at all.This is exactly the point, there is no way to test for a non-interventionist god and therefore to most atheists I would say that it makes the point irrelevant. Should we really concern ourselves with things that we cannot test within this reality, let alone have no evidence for? The non-interventionist god outside this reality is only limited by our imagination - it could be a guinea pig, an old woman, a spaghetti monster... anything. With each consideration being equally plausible.
    Yes, I completely agree with all of what you've just said.
    My only point is that you can't refute this god on the basis of a lack of evidence; but you can definitely attack on irrelevance etc.
    I don't mean to claim anything more than that.

I'm only seeking to show that an attack on the non-interventionist god, on the basis of a lack of evidence, is pointless, or irrelevant, or wrong.
    I follow you perfectly in your arguments, but I think my frustration with your argument comes from your assertion that there is no evidence for this reality. As Wicknight points out, there is evidence for this reality. So then you’re left questioning our senses themselves.
    When I challenge the evidence for reality, I do so in challenging whether what our first interpretation of what our senses perceive is whats actually there.
    (I think its reasonable to put in there that our brains interpret, at least somewhat, our senses).
    I'm very much aware that I'm challenging it at that level, and it's at that level that I am saying there is no evidence.
    Obviously, if I assume the accuracy and veracity of the interpretation of my senses, there is an abundance of evidence for the world - hence I am challenging the first obvious interpretation of the senses.
    Where can this possibly lead? When I said “Outside of metaphysics, there's no real debate there.” I did not mean ‘My opinion is so awesome, shut up.’ I meant that there can be no debate using this reasoning as all positions are equally valid, and therefore, how can one have a reasoned debate?

Metaphysical and existential philosophers are happy to have debates that go nowhere, but if we are to be logical and reasonable when we enter a debate, it must be possible to argue each position. I know I’m repeating myself here, but I feel the point needs to be stressed – when we question the veracity of our senses, every position and possibility regarding our reality becomes equally true.
    I think this feels a bit weaker.
    Is it really the case that because every possible position is equally valid, we must abandon the argument that brought us here?

Is it not possible to say 'Well, everything is equally valid, but let's choose a position we find useful to discuss things, indeed the position we commonly take in discussion, and in everything life, and work from there' and then from that position discuss the argument, acknowledging that the discussion we are having is based on this assumption that we made; indeed using the fact that we were forced to make an assumption to discuss how reasonable it is to make such assumptions?

I don't think you can attack the argument as built on a faulty foundation, as it doesn't try and prove it's foundation, it just assumes it.

I'd also like you to look at post #98 where I check out the same criticism in a different form. (or maybe just a similar one).

Do you find this convincing? Do you at least see what I'm getting at?

Basically, runs thus:
    Look, can't assume anything.
    Necessary to take a position, even though we've no evidence. (lets call it a axiom, given). We'll choose it on the basis of utility, and intuitive goodness, woo.
    Ok, now, from that position:
    Was it really necessary to take a position?
    Yes it still was.
    Ok, now we're here, can we attack people that take a position, that allows them believe in god, on the basis of having no evidence?
    No we can't, because we did that.
    Can we attack people that take a position, that allows them believe in god, on the basis that it's not useful, or intuitively good?
    Yes we can.

As far as I can see, even though he obviously takes a position,with no evidence, Dawkins still attacks others those that do likewise with their existence of god, on the basis they have no evidence.

You could come now, and say that this can be used as an argument for anything... someone could use the same logic to believe in the teapot in orbit.
    But here's the counter to that, the teapot in order directly conflicts with the position we have taken, as the position we have taken gives primacy to our senses, and the teapot directly conflicts with our senses (because its in this universe and our senses have furnished us with a lot of information about this universe).
    This can only be used as an argument for other things that are outside the universe, as they don't conflict with our position, eg Gods (unless we make claims about whats also outside the universe when we take our initial position, that disallow external gods, but that would be no better that someone that makes claims that do allow external gods).

In the case where someone takes a position that's just the same as ours, but also believes the earth is flat, then we can accuse them of taking a position that embraces several contradictory axioms, as our perceptions have clearly shown us the earth is not flat, and we both have those in our position.

This is what I mean when I say that this metaphysical philosophy abandons evidence and logic. Surely a logical person concerns themselves only with questions that can be reasoned?
    You can say that, and put (external, non interventionist) god in that category, and I'll be quite happy to agree - I'm only attack the atheists that attack the theists on scientific grounds.
    Allow me to confuse matters further. If you exist within this reality, and your brain which constitutes your consciousness exists within this reality, how can said consciousness make logical and reasoned statements about what exists outside of this reality, or indeed about the truth of said reality?
    Yes, I very much follow this logic, said very similar things in my last few posts (which I wrote before reading yours)
    If you exist within this reality then everything about you is coloured by that reality. Anyone who makes comments about this reality and what may lie outside it is putting ‘faith’ in their reasoning.
    Agreed. My point is that this equally applies to those who claim a god outside the universe, and those who demand evidence of such god.
    Perhaps I wasn’t clear and I agree with rockbeers elaboration. I’m not arguing based on popularity, I’m arguing based on reasoned assessment of our senses.
    If we take the colour blue as an example: It is possible that what I see as blue and what you see as blue are actually in fact two different colours. We cannot describe what ‘blue’ is.
    Sure; I remember wondering about this when I was a young kid, only found out its fairly trodden philosophical ground recently.
    However, on closer examination, we can conclude that any difference in our perception is unimportant. We both say the sky is ‘blue’. We both mix ‘blue’ and ‘yellow’ to make ‘green’. We both categorize the ‘idea’ of blue, and experience blue, in the same way, and therefore our perception does not matter.
    I'm not so sure about this.
    People have a favourite colour, and make a lot of decisions based on such. It's conceivable that people fight over who gets the blue t-shirt, which may be totally dependent on their perception (maybe everyone's favourite colour is the same, in local terms, but there's disagreement about it in objective terms).

The difference in perception may have real world consequences, may start wars, therefore I don't think your argument stands?
    The same can be said for reality. It does not matter if our perception of reality is in fact ‘true’. We both experience it in the same way. Although it is possible that our senses aren’t trustworthy, we both experience reality in the same way using our senses and evidence.
    We think we do, but we can't use that to prove our senses - that's using the trustworthiness of our senses (and what they tell us about each other) to prove the trustworthiness our senses.
    Like, if I hear you telling me you see the same thing as me, is that an argument to trust my hearing? If this was all a simulation, you could just be a program designed to make me trust my senses, etc. (No, i'm not a paranoid nut to other readers, but it's relevant here).
    I really don't think we have evidence for the trustworthiness of our senses at this level, just that its a useful assumption.
    It is this common agreement on reality that makes theistic arguments flawed, as in order for us to agree with what they are saying we must change our perception of reality without any evidence to justify it. Reality is objective, 'god' is subjective.
    A god outside our reality though is immune to this argument, and it is this god I am concerned with.

I agree that arguments from popularity and authority hold no ground, but that’s not the argument I was making. How is there a leap of faith in reality, when we do have evidence for reality? As I have argued already, to doubt the veracity of our senses themselves gets us nowhere, and in fact lends your consciousness itself the same credence you deny our senses.
    I am going down the road of doubting the veracity of the senses, briefly, assuming the are true, and working from there, but remaining cognizant of that assumption and using it later.
    If I didn't do this, I'd totally agree about the evidence for the world, but that's not my position.
    If god exists within this reality, then there must be evidence within this reality for its existence. If god exists outside of this reality, there should still be evidence of god if it interfers with this reality. If the god exists outside of this reality, and does not interfere in this reality, then we do not need to consider the existence of this god, as this god has no bearing what so ever upon our reality.
    I broadly agree.
    However, it's the last I'm concerned with here: "we need not consider the existence of this god, as this god has no bearing what so ever upon our reality"
    I'm just out to show that this god can't be refuted on the basis of a lack of evidence, that's all.
    Again, they are not comparable leaps of faith. The atheist bases their position upon evidence within this reality.
    But the atheist can only use this evidence after a leap of faith that grants them access to it.
    The theist bases their position on blind faith using no evidence from this reality. However, you are calling into question the evidence itself and the veracity of our senses. Do you see what I mean now when I say you’re not comparing like with like?
    I am afraid I do not.
    I see the leap of faith that grants access to our senses - that allows us to affirm their validity - as comparable to the leap of faith that allows a theist belief in god.
    If I take the validity of the senses without evidence, how am I better than one who takes the existence of god without evidence?

I could claim the utility of the senses vs. the utility of god, but that is not a claim based on evidence, and further, I would find strong proponents of the utility of god to disagree with me (but I'm more concerned about the evidence bit).

Again, as I sit in my position of zero knowledge, I have no access to any evidence, until I make a leap of faith and trust my senses - how am I better than one who from zero knowledge, instead makes a leap of faith that trusts both his senses and his god?

As has already been requested - can you demonstrate for us how there is no evidence for this reality?
    I cannot demonstrate there is no evidence for it; I can only ask what evidence there is that is for it.
    I can provide alternate hypothesises that explain the senses, which should raise enough doubt, and hence show we require evidence or a leap of faith to believe in reality.
    Or can you only call into question whether our senses tell us the truth of reality?
    I demonstrate that there is no evidence of reality as commonly believed by calling into question the senses. Thats how I do it. Again, there's no evidence for the senses, we just assume them, with a leap of faith, comparable to that with which people assume god.
    I'm happy making that assumption, I find it very useful, but I don't defend it on the basis that I have evidence for it - how could I? And I think it is equally unreasonable to ask a deist to defend their god on the same basis.
    This is what I mean when I say you’re being intellectually disingenuous; you keep repeating that there is no evidence of this reality when quite clearly there is.
    Only evidence if you grant the senses/perceptions, which again, I say, where is the evidence for these perceptions and senses being accurate?

The *spooky voice* comment was my attempt at a joke – I think it’s funny when someone questions the validity of our senses.

I don't think the senses aren't correct - I just think that I don't have evidence for why I think that they are correct.
    I think that they are correct because that's a useful position, rather than one backed by evidence, so similarly I can not challenge someone who assumes a deist god, based on lack of evidence.
    No disrespect intended. (Perhaps my word use is too harsh, let me just say that I appreciate someone asking so many questions, replying to all the answers and then asking new informed questions. It’s the anti-thesis of what usually happens!)
    Apologies, I was probably a bit tired and tetchy :)
    Thanks for all the great replies, and the kind words.
    That’s not what I meant at all. My comment was born from this post:
    Perhaps I should take this elsewhere, but bear with me for a second. Do you think that atheists are more likely to be bothered by existentialist/metaphysical philosophies such as the debate here? (I don’t exactly mean just because you’re saying atheists have faith in their senses.) Seeing as the atheist viewpoint in general is informed by the power of evidence and the lack of evidence for god. I would suggest that existentialist/metaphysical philosophers are highly likely to be agnostic.
    Again, I probably misinterpreted your post - sorry for the attendant tetchiness :)

From my perspective (and perhaps your question is more directed at other posters) I think that atheists, who consider themselves to have arrived at a position by reason, more so than some theists who are at that position due to faith, would be more inclined to entertain debate such as this: questioning whether the world view of atheists (in general) was solidly placed on evidence as claimed, or whether they made some assumptions too.
    Also, the fact that I got thinking about these things when listening to Richard Dawkins, a prominent atheist (and proud claimant of the word) made me come here.
    Although this argument frustrates me, I do find it interesting. I’m not asking people to say they think this argument is boring, stupid or something unhelpful like that - I’m asking if this argument unsettles them as it questions the very core of their viewpoint, whereas atheists merely disagree with the theistic viewpoint.
    Ok, cool, gotcha.
    I personally think it should be more unsettling; a determined and (hopefully) reasoned argument should be a much harder thing to shrug off than someone claiming to believe in something they have no evidence for (note: we don't count non interventionist gods who are under discussion here, who require no evidence, lest I shoot myself in the foot)

leaba wrote: »
    Wicknight explained at length the point you are missing. You replied that you don't see it like this. This is what I mean by missing the point.

This thread reminds me of a creationist debate so I'm going to take my leave and retreat to my particular corner of this duck's arse.
    I reckon that's a bit harsh, certainly don't thing its as specious as some arguments I've read on the internet, but fair enough, enjoy your duck (?!)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Not quite relevant to demonstrating that religion is not irrational, but certainly helpful when seeing how useful religion is understanding the world.

vira_4.jpg

Shooter,
    I'm pretty much right there with ya - that's an argument on the utility of certain beliefs, and their consequences in the real world.

And I have to say I really do agree with most of what you've said.

All I'm saying is that you can't necessarily reject the computer simulation, or external non interventionist god, or whatever, on a lack of evidence.

I think you can attack the FSM, IPU (mhhnbs), etc on the basis of a lack of evidence, as they are supposed to be super natural creatures that exist within this universe; and you can attack the rest of them on the basis of lack of utility, as you do there.

So I pretty much agree with you, although I'm talking about a more specific point.
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    What I've been trying to say in a nutshell.

So comparisons:
    Guy believes in a god but doesnt claim to know it but has faith that it exists.
    Guy believes that we live in a computer simulation but doesnt claim to know any more but has faith that it exists.
    Neither feel the need for anyone else to believe them and do not interfere with anyone elses life that goes against their beliefs.

Fair enough. Each to their own and all that. I'd still consider either a bit mad but harmless believing in something that there is no evidence that in might exist unlike our reality which theres a good chance does exist in that our senses suggest it exist (maybe they're lying maybe they're not but its atleast a suggestion) unlike both their beliefs which are based on NOTHING but a idea picked outta the sky (which may or may not exist :P).

And Im pretty sure most atheists would disagree but see little harm in it. However I dont know many people that believe a god exists but dont claim to know any more details and if I did I'd consider them agnostic rather than religious per se.

The problem for most atheists starts when this god or computer simulator starts talking to these people telling them to go out and teach others the right path, the only path to salvation. Thats where it goes from harmless belief in some improbable situation to a major annoyance.

To go down a well beaten route with a twist lets say I tell you I believe in a big giant spaghetti monster but no one can see hear smell feel or taste him as he invented us so our senses cant detect him. Whats your oppinion of me now?

Now lets say I claim I can see him through a power he gave me as he wanted to communicate with me and give the world message. Opinion of me now?

Now lets say I want my message taught to your kids in school as actual fact. I also dont want them being taught maths as its now a sin. Opinion of me now?

Now I want to tell you that if you dont believe the same your going to boil in a big pot in space(also invisible) when you die. Now lets say I get my wish most people agree with what I say and start attending church of the spaghetti monster and changing their very lives because of this spaghetti monster, which in his defence is just as likely to exist as anything else by this conversation.

Now lets say at some point this starts to annoy you. People are holding back civilisation by not studying maths, investing tonnes of money in spaghetti chapels (which are not cheap to upkeep, being made out of pasta) and spending their time investing themselves further into this belief.

So you try and point out how ridiculous their beliefs are but no matter what you do, even if you disprove his existence (and well done as disproving something exists is pretty tough especially when its all powerful) people just reply saying its a test of their faith.

Now thats the problem atheists generally have.

To give a shorter example heres a made up situation where someone actually proves that reality as we see it doesnt actually exist:

John: You know we live in a computer simulation?
    Steve: Cop on.
    John: See that tree over there it glitches at 3pm everday watch.
    Steve: Suuuure...
    *tree disappears*
    Steve: Wow John maybe you're right I'm open to testing out your theory.

No someone discussing god:

John: There's a god
    Steve: Where?
    John: You can't see him.
    Steve: How do you know he exists?
    John: I just do.
    Steve: But what about all the bad things that happen?
    John: He works in mysterious ways.
    Steve: Like how?
    John: He just does.
    Steve: Ok what about science proving that universe started with a big bang and not with Adam and Eve.
    John: Oh they were only ever metaphors.
    Steve: How come no one put that at the start of the book then? Was jesus a metaphor?
    John: No.
    Steve: Ok. Then why dont I believe in him? If he's all powerful?
    John: Its a test of faith.
    Steve: Ok what about that big sign that fell from the sky saying "There is no God.. This sign was written by a spaghetti monster"
    John: Test of faith
    Steve: Jeez!!!

robindch wrote: »
    Not quite relevant to demonstrating that religion is not irrational, but certainly helpful when seeing how useful religion is understanding the world.

Entertaining, and succinct, but perhaps not so strictly relevant here...

Anyway, as a mod of Irish Skeptics, why do you trust your senses?
    Evidence? Utility? Some other reason?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

vira_4.jpg

Good thread, was hoping to comment earlier but it's gotten a bit too complex now for me.

Off topic, are you sure that gravity squeezes hydrogen atoms (surely nuclei) together? (And should it not be 'affect' rather than 'effect'?)

Anyway arguing over details will not reinforce or undermine our fundamental faith in science anymore than it will reinforce or undermine our fundamental worldview (religious or not). When faced with contrary facts, a believer will interpret them in a way consistent with their religion. A scientist will do likewise, but can explicitly alter their fundamental theory. The subtle difference is that the believer can alter their understanding of the fundamental theory. It's called growing in faith;)

why do you trust your senses?
    Because they're all I have.

oobydooby wrote: »
    Good thread, was hoping to comment earlier but it's gotten a bit too complex now for me.

Off topic, are you sure that gravity squeezes hydrogen atoms (surely nuclei) together? (And should it not be 'affect' rather than 'effect'?)
    Taking the question at face value, at making a stab at it (not a physicist)...

hydrogen atoms are affected by gravity, right? Like everything is? And the huge pressure at the centre of the star is a result of this gravity, and this huge pressure squeezes hydrogen atoms together - mightn't be the only force on them once they get close enough, afaik attractive nuclear force kicks in then, after gravity has squeezed them together past the point where electromagnetism is pushing them apart, but gravity definitely does squeeze them together to this threshold... I'm sure that's only an approximate way of looking at it anyway, but its good enough for me on a day to day basis...

I guess it should be affect, unless in some deep sense gravity effects hydrogen atoms...

oobydooby wrote: »
    Anyway arguing over details will not reinforce or undermine our fundamental faith in science anymore than it will reinforce or undermine our fundamental worldview (religious or not). When faced with contrary facts, a believer will interpret them in a way consistent with their religion. A scientist will do likewise, but can explicitly alter their fundamental theory. The subtle difference is that the believer can alter their understanding of the fundamental theory. It's called growing in faith;)

Because they're all I have.

Ok - is it fair of me to say, though, that it is a leap of faith, borne of a perceived necessity, as opposed to based on evidence?

You could choose to disbelieve your senses too, although it wouldn't be a very useful viewpoint? So you choose to believe them, in the absence of any other useful way forward? Is this a reasonable representation of it?

it is a leap of faith, borne of a perceived necessity, as opposed to based on evidence?
    They've been mostly reliable in the past and I expect them to be mostly reliable in the future. They have faults like any physical system and I try to bear these in mind. Same as most people, I think.

Not having read the thread to this point, I've no idea where you're going with this. But you're on a very shaky branch indeed if you're trying to equate the level of trust that one should have that a religious belief is true, with the level of trust that one can have that this bus that seems to be heading towards me is a fiction.

They've been mostly reliable in the past and I expect them to be mostly reliable in the future. They have faults like any physical system and I try to bear these in mind. Same as most people, I think.
    I don't really think you can argue about their reliability from that perspective, as that seems to be believing what they tell you, forming hypothesis, and checking that hypothesis against what they tell you. If you were a brain in a glass jar, that wouldn't work out.
    Not having read the thread to this point, I've no idea where you're going with this. But you're on a very shaky branch indeed if you're trying to equate the level of trust that one should have that a religious belief is true, with the level of trust that one can have that this bus that seems to be heading towards me is a fiction.
    I seek to establish that pretty much everyone believes at least some things that they don't have evidence for. I'd go so far as to say you have to do this to live an effective life in the world.

I then want to examine whether it is reasonable to attack certain religious beliefs on the basis that there is no evidence for them.
    (Specifically, religious beliefs that assume an untestable, unobservable god which exists outside the universe). I'm not interested in discussing the utility of believing in such a god, which I would consider low, but in whether it's reasonable to attack such belief on the grounds it has no evidence.

I'm not sure how solid or shaky the branch I'm on is; personally, I'd quite like to be found wrong on this one - but have yet to see a counter argument I find convincing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Shooter,
    I'm pretty much right there with ya - that's an argument on the utility of certain beliefs, and their consequences in the real world.

And I have to say I really do agree with most of what you've said.

All I'm saying is that you can't necessarily reject the computer simulation, or external non interventionist god, or whatever, on a lack of evidence.

I think you can attack the FSM, IPU (mhhnbs), etc on the basis of a lack of evidence, as they are supposed to be super natural creatures that exist within this universe; and you can attack the rest of them on the basis of lack of utility, as you do there.

So I pretty much agree with you, although I'm talking about a more specific point.

Ahh, Lightbulb above my head!!!
    Ok here's how I see this one. If you told me you believed it's possible that an external non interventionist god existed I'd be ok with that as long as you realised that the minute you defined a specific aspect of that god that the possibility has diminished (How the hell do you know what a non interfering external god would want us to do, if it even cares)
    I'd also expect you to not claim to know it exists. As how would you?

Now I'd pretty much define you as agnostic. I doubt many athiest would argue with the above belief either (ok there's always a hardcore element). Have I found a middle ground?

Edit: (at this point Im talking about inerfering internal gods)
    Also as I said earlier with my example conversation robindch has nailed the problem with discussing things with religious people. Even if you poke holes in the, and I use this word very loosely, theory they simply say well thats how god made it or its a test of faith etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I then want to examine whether it is reasonable to attack certain religious beliefs on the basis that there is no evidence for them.

Why just religious ones in particular?

Do you accept that the argument could be broadened to "is it reasonable to attack beliefs (any/all) that there is no evidence for?". Even if you don't want to get into *that* argument, do you agree that whatever answer you accept for that question you would also accept that answer in the specific religious case?

If not could you explain why these "certain religious beliefs" are special in some way, and perhaps explain why you believe the answer to the more general case is "yes" but the specific religious one is "no".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭leaba

I seek to establish that pretty much everyone believes at least some things that they don't have evidence for. I'd go so far as to say you have to do this to live an effective life in the world.

[Muffled voice from ducks rear]
    You seem to seek to establish that there is no such thing as evidence
    [/Muffled voice]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I don't see it like this.
    If we start from a position of no knowledge, I don't see how we can get to a position where we can claim that what we perceive is real and out there beyond our perceptions. Or, more correctly, I don't see a way of doing this, thats based on evidence.

There is plenty of evidence.

For a start, the world "out there" can change my mental and emotional state. The most obvious example of this is if I fall or get hit in the head. The physical world can physically influence my mental state, I can be knocked out for example, if you (an entity in the external world) hits me hard enough.

So this is evidence that the external world exists and is physically real, in so far as it can alter your internal state (this discussion will probably eventually get into a debate about what we actually mean by "physically real" ...). I can see what happens when I hit you, and I can figure that the same thing happens when you hit me.

So contrast this with the evidence that this isn't actually happening as we perceive it? I see none. There is no evidence that when you hit me in the head, something other than what we understand from biology is happening to me. There might be, particularly if it is a Matrix style trick, but there is no evidence of that.
    Instead of starting from a position of no knowledge, the only reasonable thing to do is to start from a position where we believe our perceptions do convey us information about a real world that's out there.
    Why not also include a sense of god in that starting position too?
    Because we don't just decide that our perceptions do convey information about the real world, this is something that it is possible to assess (see above)

If anyone figures out how to do that with God I'm all ears.
    But how did you get there? What enables you to take your sensory perceptions as evidence for the existence of the world? How do you know they aren't wired to a computer system?

I don't, but I'm not following why you think that means I can't take my sensory perceptions as evidence.

Are you saying we have to rule out everything else (including matrix style computers) before we can take our sensory perceptions as evidence?

Given that there is no reason to think that we are actually hooked up to a Matrix, or similar assertion, I don't see why you think this necessary.

At the end of the day it is about judging the most likely model of our external universe based on the evidence that presents itself.
    You have no evidence based reason to prefer one hypothesis above the other, yet you do.
    I have lots of evidence based reasons. I see lots of evidence that I am a physical being in a physical world that I can interact with and that can interact with me, and no evidence that I'm not.

It is perfectly possible that in reality I'm actually not, I'm hooked up to a computer. But I see no evidence of that, so given the option between the two I judge the former as being far more likely than the latter.
    Your argument only works if you assume the correctness of your senses.

You haven't given me a reason not to assume the correctness of my senses, while there are plenty of evidence to assume the correctness of my senses.
    Look, I can't show the world is imaginary, any more than you can show the world is real.

I can show the world is real. I will hit you in the head until you are knocked out, thus demonstrating that the physical world can alter your internal mental state. You don't simply feel knocked out, you actually are knocked out, an external entity can cause your mental systems to black out.

Again it is certainly possible that the Matrix some how knocks you out based on the inputs from the simulation, but that itself is a form of physical interaction. This of course assumes your brain is physical in the Matrix. What if you are computer code in a computer in another universe? Well at this point it stops mattering, because we get down to the nature of what is real. If we are all just computer code then surely that is still the "real world", it is just that the real world happens to be a computer simulation.
    So it could be real, could be imaginary, since all the evidence we have for things comes from our senses, well, they aren't much help here, because they could be connected to the real world or the imaginary one, so we are in a position of no evidence.
    We can choose to believe either.

Yes but then what do you mean by the "imaginary" one. If we are say computer code running in some massive machine in a universe outside of the computer, then does it really matter? This is our universe, it is a universe that exists in some alien computer, but it is still real

This is the problem with going too far down this line of thinking. When you start saying the world could be imaginary you have to first define imaginary compared to what exactly
    I don't think it works like that.
    If we have a box, and you say the box is full of oxygen, and I say 'wait, what evidence do you have for that, it could be full of nitrogen instead' you can't turn around to me and say "You are asking me for evidence there's NOT nitrogen in it! That's invoking a negative!" and win the argument, proving there's oxygen in the box.

Well no, it is more like this. We have a box, and I run a test on the box and say it looks like it is full of oxygen. You then say "Wait, how do we not know that it is actually full of nitrogen that has some how been made look like it was oxygen".

I ask do you have any evidence for that assertion, and you say "Well can you demonstrate that it isn't nitrogen made to look like oxygen"

I say no I can't, that I can only go on what I can assess, and that that is that it looks like oxygen.

You say that since you can't rule out that it isn't nitrogen made to look like oxygen you can't say it is believe it is oxygen.

To which I slap you and tell you to pull yourself together :pac:
    I'm not saying we are living in a super computer. I am merely saying we could be, and everything would fit.

We certainly could be. But I see no reason to believe we are. The world looks like a physical world. If it isn't, if I am actually asleep in 2299 inside a massive computer, then it is a trick, in the same way that if the oxygen is actually nitrogen made to look like oxygen then I can't tell.

And after a point it stops mattering. If the nitrogen is so like oxygen that it is exactly like oxygen then for all purpose it is oxygen.

Advertisement