Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belief without evidence argument

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Damn, I can't stay away from this ridiculous but compelling thread :pac:
    fergalr wrote: »
    I'm not sure how solid or shaky the branch I'm on is; personally, I'd quite like to be found wrong on this one - but have yet to see a counter argument I find convincing.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you have been found wrong, to everyone's satisfaction but your own. The problem is your denial that evidence is evidence. You simply keep repeating your assertion ad infinitum despite

a) not being able to demonstrate that what you propose is a real world phenomenon i.e. that atheists do in fact attack pure deists on the grounds of a lack of evidence. Certainly no one here seems to have any desire to do so, and

b) only being able to come up with one example of something atheists believe in for which you contend there is no evidence. And against this example we have argued convincingly that there is powerful evidence, which everyone except yourself accepts as viable, and

c) having been shown that once you abandon the viability of sensory evidence you must basically accept literally all beliefs as equally valid, at which point the whole discussion becomes meaningless and any notion of a consensus reality must be abandoned. You can't present a justification for believing in your notion of god that wouldn't apply equally to literally anything else you can imagine, under those circumstances.

I would suggest that the reason you are not convinced is because, contrary to your assertion, you don't actually want to be convinced.

I await another repetition of the assertion in due course.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Ahh, Lightbulb above my head!!!
    Ok here's how I see this one. If you told me you believed it's possible that an external non interventionist god existed I'd be ok with that as long as you realised that the minute you defined a specific aspect of that god that the possibility has diminished (How the hell do you know what a non interfering external god would want us to do, if it even cares)
    I'd also expect you to not claim to know it exists. As how would you?
    Interesting...
    Ok, so you are saying that as I get specific about an external non interventionist god, the changes of me being right decrease...
    Now, I can't really make arguments about what the changes of a god existing or not outside the universe are, because for all I know, every universe has one, so the probably is 1.

But I can accept that the more specific I get about the god, from a position of no information, I am less likely to be correct.
    I also accept what you say when you say that you couldn't know it'd care.
    You could choose to believe that it cared, though, and couldn't be attacked for a lack of evidence, but that wouldn't mean much.
    You couldn't claim to *know* it exists, more so than anyone else claims they *know* reality exists, and a hell of a lot less than someone else who claims that given they know reality exists, and their senses are accurate, they know they know they aren't 20 foot tall.
    Now I'd pretty much define you as agnostic. I doubt many athiest would argue with the above belief either (ok there's always a hardcore element). Have I found a middle ground?
    Well, let's leave out what I personally believe - not sure about that - but the position I seem to be heading for here is that of no knowledge, but also no ability to criticise someone else who believes they have some 'sense' of a god.
    Some sort of weak agnosticism?

Edit: (at this point Im talking about inerfering internal gods)
    Also as I said earlier with my example conversation robindch has nailed the problem with discussing things with religious people. Even if you poke holes in the, and I use this word very loosely, theory they simply say well thats how god made it or its a test of faith etc.

pH wrote: »
    Why just religious ones in particular?

Do you accept that the argument could be broadened to "is it reasonable to attack beliefs (any/all) that there is no evidence for?". Even if you don't want to get into *that* argument, do you agree that whatever answer you accept for that question you would also accept that answer in the specific religious case?

I'm discussing whether it is possible to attack untestable beliefs on the basis that there is no evidence for them.

I do not think the argument could be broadened as you propose.

That they are untestable is important.
    I'm assuming that gods that are external to our universe are untestable.
    If a belief is testable, and applies to something within our universe, I think it's reasonable to want to see evidence before believing it. But I'm not sure in the case where it's untestable, hence this discussion.

Is this just a tautology? It doesn't seem to be, as there's plenty of people here willing to argue that a believer must have evidence to hold an untestable belief. I'm not sure.
    pH wrote: »
    If not could you explain why these "certain religious beliefs" are special in some way, and perhaps explain why you believe the answer to the more general case is "yes" but the specific religious one is "no".
    As above, the are special in the way that they are to do with the existence of a god outside our universe, which we cannot test.
    I think that puts them in a different class of belief - open to correction...

leaba wrote: »
    [Muffled voice from ducks rear]
    You seem to seek to establish that there is no such thing as evidence
    [/Muffled voice]

No such thing as evidence, without assuming some sort of given that you have to get to without the use of evidence.
    Once you've got a few things to work with (eg: my perceptions show me a real external world, my logic is good etc) then you can get evidence for all sorts of things, drop stuff from the pisa tower, etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I then want to examine whether it is reasonable to attack certain religious beliefs on the basis that there is no evidence for them.
    I don't care what individual believers believe. I find a lot of it funny, strange, weird and so on, but ultimately I don't care -- these are their beliefs and they're welcome to have them. I do object to them making judgments, particularly on social issues, which are untroubled by evidence, but that's another thread.

Logically, if I choose to believe something for which there's no evidence -- effectively, anything I can imagine -- then I can do that if I want to. I then open up a much larger can of worms because using the same logic, I can then not refuse to accept my own belief (or that of somebody else) that a second thing exists, whose existence contradicts the existence of whatever I chose to believe earlier. Therefore, I must believe X and not X simultaneously, which is a contradiction. Hence, I can safely conclude that my initial premise, that it's reasonable to believe something for which there's no evidence, is wrong.

In religious terms, if a christian tells me that his god exists (the most powerful god there is) despite there being no evidence he does, then I'll tell him back that my god exists too and he's also the most powerful god, but different from the first one. Clearly, at most, only one of us can be right and we then need to consult something more reliable than our unsubstantiated beliefs.

Evidence sounds like it might do the trick.

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote: »
    There is plenty of evidence.

For a start, the world "out there" can change my mental and emotional state. The most obvious example of this is if I fall or get hit in the head. The physical world can physically influence my mental state, I can be knocked out for example, if you (an entity in the external world) hits me hard enough.

So this is evidence that the external world exists and is physically real, in so far as it can alter your internal state (this discussion will probably eventually get into a debate about what we actually mean by "physically real" ...). I can see what happens when I hit you, and I can figure that the same thing happens when you hit me.
    You could be a brain in a vat, and experience all of the above. It doesn't validate your senses; your 'evidence' is not evidence. If you choose to believe you are not a brain in a vat, thats fine, but you do so without evidence.
    So contrast this with the evidence that this isn't actually happening as we perceive it? I see none. There is no evidence that when you hit me in the head, something other than what we understand from biology is happening to me. There might be, particularly if it is a Matrix style trick, but there is no evidence of that.

Because we don't just decide that our perceptions do convey information about the real world, this is something that it is possible to assess (see above)

If anyone figures out how to do that with God I'm all ears.

I don't, but I'm not following why you think that means I can't take my sensory perceptions as evidence.
    You can't take your sensory perceptions as evidence that you are living in an objective reality out there (a non matrix-like reality), because if you were in such a reality, they'd be the same as they are now.
    Are you saying we have to rule out everything else (including matrix style computers) before we can take our sensory perceptions as evidence?
    I'm saying if you want to say for definite that your perceptions are evidence of the existence of the world that they percieve, without assuming anything, you need to rule out other hypothesis that also would explain the perceptions (eg: matrix style computers).
    You haven't ruled them out, so "the world I perceieve is real" is only one interpretation of the perceptions.
    Given that there is no reason to think that we are actually hooked up to a Matrix, or similar assertion, I don't see why you think this necessary.

At the end of the day it is about judging the most likely model of our external universe based on the evidence that presents itself.
    If you are talking just about likelihood, or utility, I'd agree, but this is a discussion about what there is and isn't evidence for.
    I have lots of evidence based reasons. I see lots of evidence that I am a physical being in a physical world that I can interact with and that can interact with me, and no evidence that I'm not.

It is perfectly possible that in reality I'm actually not, I'm hooked up to a computer. But I see no evidence of that, so given the option between the two I judge the former as being far more likely than the latter.
    If it's perfectly possible that your hooked up to a computer, instead of perceiving reality, than on what basis do you think you are perceiving reality?
    You must *surely* do so without evidence, but any evidence you have from your perception of reality (the only place to get evidence) is not admissible.
    You haven't given me a reason not to assume the correctness of my senses, while there are plenty of evidence to assume the correctness of my senses.
    Reason to question correctness of senses: Could be in the matrix, in which case you wouldn't be perceiving physical world.
    I can show the world is real. I will hit you in the head until you are knocked out, thus demonstrating that the physical world can alter your internal mental state. You don't simply feel knocked out, you actually are knocked out, an external entity can cause your mental systems to black out.

Again it is certainly possible that the Matrix some how knocks you out based on the inputs from the simulation, but that itself is a form of physical interaction. This of course assumes your brain is physical in the Matrix. What if you are computer code in a computer in another universe? Well at this point it stops mattering, because we get down to the nature of what is real. If we are all just computer code then surely that is still the "real world", it is just that the real world happens to be a computer simulation.
    Yes, lets say we are all computer code, in a computer simulation.
    All I'm asking is that you say that this is, based on the evidence (of which we have none) as valid as saying we are not computer code in a computer simulation.
    Just based on the evidence (of which we have none).

Yes but then what do you mean by the "imaginary" one. If we are say computer code running in some massive machine in a universe outside of the computer, then does it really matter? This is our universe, it is a universe that exists in some alien computer, but it is still real
    Now your coming around.
    I'm not saying it *matters* in any objective sense.
    I'll still quite happily go along assuming I'm not in a computer system - even if I assumed I was in one, I wouldn't do things differently, I don't think.
    However, if I do choose to believe that I am not in a computer system, I will not claim that I have evidence to support my belief.
    That is my point.
    This is the problem with going too far down this line of thinking. When you start saying the world could be imaginary you have to first define imaginary compared to what exactly
    Well no, it is more like this. We have a box, and I run a test on the box and say it looks like it is full of oxygen. You then say "Wait, how do we not know that it is actually full of nitrogen that has some how been made look like it was oxygen".

I ask do you have any evidence for that assertion, and you say "Well can you demonstrate that it isn't nitrogen made to look like oxygen"

I say no I can't, that I can only go on what I can assess, and that that is that it looks like oxygen.

You say that since you can't rule out that it isn't nitrogen made to look like oxygen you can't say it is believe it is oxygen.

To which I slap you and tell you to pull yourself together :pac:

We certainly could be. But I see no reason to believe we are. The world looks like a physical world. If it isn't, if I am actually asleep in 2299 inside a massive computer, then it is a trick,
    Here's the rub though - there is no trick.
    If as you started reality, you saw a sign that said 'You are not in a computer, what you see is real' - or somehow got imparted with a priori information to that effect, then you could say there was a trick.
    Indeed, if told that you were not in a computer, if given some reason to believe the 'not in computer' hypothesis, you'd be right to want evidence to believe it.
    But you were not given any information about what to assume about reality.
    You were just given some perceptions.
    That's all you were given.
    You assumed that these perceptions showed you that you weren't a brain in a vat; but you had no evidence for this leap of faith.
    That's the error you make, as I see it.
    in the same way that if the oxygen is actually nitrogen made to look like oxygen then I can't tell.

And after a point it stops mattering. If the nitrogen is so like oxygen that it is exactly like oxygen then for all purpose it is oxygen.

rockbeer wrote: »
    Damn, I can't stay away from this ridiculous but compelling thread :pac:
    Wahey :)
    Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you have been found wrong, to everyone's satisfaction but your own. The problem is your denial that evidence is evidence. You simply keep repeating your assertion ad infinitum despite

I don't think I deny that evidence is evidence.
    a) not being able to demonstrate that what you propose is a real world phenomenon i.e. that atheists do in fact attack pure deists on the grounds of a lack of evidence. Certainly no one here seems to have any desire to do so, and

Look, Richard Dawkins is an atheist.
    I quoted from his book, on the chapter where he defines his 'God Hypothesis'
    (page 60) where, as far as I can see, he includes pure deism in his scope.
    He frequently tackles the hypothesis thereafter on the grounds there is no evidence for it.

Therefore I think I have demonstrated that at least one prominent atheist does attack pure deists on the grounds of lack of evidence; if not beyond a shadow of a doubt, then at least so much that I'd like you to point or where I'm wrong, or grant me I've made a decent stab at supporting it.
    Hmm?

b) only being able to come up with one example of something atheists believe in for which you contend there is no evidence.
    I only need one.
    But I have introduced three:
    1) inductive reason (which I later dropped, as it's too complex to argue about here, rather than because I believe I was shown wrong, although I do acknowledge people raised some serious questions for me to think about)
    2) that other people we deal with are conscious sentient entities, with an inner world and awareness like I have. (I'm probably more familiar with this one, I really don't know any evidence for it)
    3) That the external world we perceive is real (ie, we are not brains in vats).

Not all atheists might believe these things; but I think they would cause problems for most atheists, who believe their beliefs are based on evidence.

And against this example we have argued convincingly that there is powerful evidence, which everyone except yourself accepts as viable, and
    Spent the last hour or so trying to find out more on this, as your sort of calling my rationality into question here...
    I really don't think you've provided any good evidence against brains in a vat; I think I've done a reasonable job of refuting what you claim has been evidence.

In support of this assertion, I'd like to point out that not everyone here buy my has accepted the evidence as viable (some posters have agreed with me), and I'd also like to point out, that after looking it up a bit more, it turns out this is a very open question in philosophy, which better minds than me have argued.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulated_reality
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_in_a_vat
    http://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html
    http://www.cavehill.uwi.edu/bnccde/ph29a/putnam.html

The last provides an argument which purports to be evidence against the brains in a vat hypothesis, however, I don't find it immediately convincing, but I've only just read it. Regardless, its still challenged by some philosophers, and it's considerably different than any of the arguments I've seen here.
    This would tend to suggest that I am perhaps not so wrong for finding the arguments you have provided here, and insist are convincing, as in fact convincing.
    I believe my refutations stand on their own here (open to correction) and this is not an appeal to authority - rather, it's me saying: Hey, I'm not out on my own here (as you accuse me of being) - better philosophers than I have also considered this problem and found what you say is evidence unconvincing (I bring them in for numerical support, rather than authority).
    c) having been shown that once you abandon the viability of sensory evidence you must basically accept literally all beliefs as equally valid, at which point the whole discussion becomes meaningless and any notion of a consensus reality must be abandoned. You can't present a justification for believing in your notion of god that wouldn't apply equally to literally anything else you can imagine, under those circumstances.
    I agree with your last sentence, and in fact, I've dealt with this a lot in earlier posts on the thread.

You next accuse me of repeating my assertion too much, well, I have to here, because you misrepresent my position. I'm not presenting a justification for belief in any particular notion of a god.
    I'm... just... saying... that... you... can't... attack... such... a... belief... on... the... basis... that... there... is... a... lack... of... evidence... for... it...

Which is not the same as presenting a justification for that belief.
    I would suggest that the reason you are not convinced is because, contrary to your assertion, you don't actually want to be convinced.

I await another repetition of the assertion in due course.

:)
    Well, I feel I need to keep repeating the assertion, because if people keep on saying I'm trying to assert something I'm not.
    I do want to be convinced.

I'd be a lot happier if I could see a clear and convincing argument that concluded "...and that's why we can reject the deist god due to a lack of evidence".
    You'll have to take my word on that, or not, as the case may be... ...but I don't want to just accept such a conclusion without evidence. (And please god don't tell me that confuses the issue).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭leaba

You next accuse me of repeating my assertion too much, well, I have to here, because you misrepresent my position. I'm not presenting a justification for belief in any particular notion of a god.
    I'm... just... saying... that... you... can't... attack... such... a... belief... on... the... basis... that... there... is... a... lack... of... evidence... for... it...

Which is not the same as presenting a justification for that belief.

Well, I feel I need to keep repeating the assertion, because if people keep on saying I'm trying to assert something I'm not.
    I do want to be convinced.

You're saying "If such and such then it would mean all this stuff".

Most religions then have layers and layers of implications of the stuff that resulted from the if. It's the if I have a problem with. Why start with an if?

We're saying "Things seem to be like this, lets model stuff and make predictions. If our predictions are consistently right we can use them to make useful decisions."

Do....you....not....see...the....difference....between....starting....with....an...if...and.....starting....with..whats....available....to....you.

I also think that you might be suggesting that some people's sense of god is as valid as everybody's "real" senses since you believe you've invalidated the reliability of the senses.

The way you invalidate the evidence of our senses invalidates logical argument. So you invalidate the evidence and procede to try and argue logically.

I don't think I deny that evidence is evidence.

Perhaps more accurately you insist that evidence must be proof before it counts for anything. You seem to be saying that since the evidence of our senses is not 100% reliable, or since it cannot be proven not to be some kind of trickery, that it is therefore on the same level as no evidence at all.

Evidence is evidence, however you spin it. You might (or might not) think it very good evidence, but it's a very great deal better than none at all.
    Look, Richard Dawkins is an atheist.
    I quoted from his book, on the chapter where he defines his 'God Hypothesis'
    (page 60) where, as far as I can see, he includes pure deism in his scope.
    He frequently tackles the hypothesis thereafter on the grounds there is no evidence for it.

Thankfully I've finally found my copy, and it's clear that you're neglecting the context. It's clear from this that what he's trying to do is avoid the inevitable accusations of straw manning that would follow if he portrayed god as evil. He says he's trying to avoid believers being able to say "the god that dawkins doesn't believe in is a god that I don't believe in either" so he extends the definition to include any supernatural creative intelligence within this universe.

He also makes the point that Gould's non-interventionist god is one that virtually no theists actually believe in. And he certainly doesn't say that every argument thereafter in the book applies to such a being - he just says that even such a being can be investigated as a scientific hypothesis, since this chapter is all about the argument that faith and science should not be treated separately. Clearly with so many 'versions' of god out there, different arguments will be relevant to different circumstances. I haven't looked through to find a evidence-based argument levelled specifically against Gould's version, but I would say it's up to you to do that since you're the one making the claim.

It seems to me from reading the chapter that Dawkins' objection to Gould's deist god is based mainly on probability rather than an absence of evidence. He acknowledges the intrinsic difficulty of distinguishing a created universe from a non-created one when the creator has absolutely no involvement thereafter, which seems to be saying exactly what you accuse him of denying, that in such a case there is likely to be little useful evidence either way.

Also, elsewhere, he says "If the word god is not to become completely useless, it should be used in the way people have generally understood it: to denote a supernatural creator that is 'appropriate for us to worship' (p.32 ch 1 in my copy).

This would seem to make it clear that he also subscribes to the utility position that so many of us have maintained here - in short, that any god who is removed so far from us as to be utterly undetectable in any way shape or form is not only 'useless' but is not one that any genuine believer would recognize.

I'm now satisfied that you are misrepresenting Dawkins.

I only need one.

You need one that stands up. You don't have one so far.
    1) inductive reason (which I later dropped, as it's too complex to argue about here, rather than because I believe I was shown wrong, although I do acknowledge people raised some serious questions for me to think about)

I note that you've dropped this. But let me just say that I don't accept that inductive reasoning is something people 'believe in' the way they do in deities. It's a tool. Sometime it's the right tool for the job and sometimes not. Like a hammer. Do you need to 'believe in' a hammer to knock in a nail? It works for that task, however you feel about it, but it's no use for cutting logs. Inductive reasoning is a useful, generally recognized set of guidelines for thinking about things. It's pretty much useless for playing the guitar with. That doesn't make it an article of faith.
    2) that other people we deal with are conscious sentient entities, with an inner world and awareness like I have. (I'm probably more familiar with this one, I really don't know any evidence for it)

This is a pragmatic belief rather than a speculative one. The evidence is sensory. You might not think the evidence particularly strong, but to say there's none is just nonsense. The fact you are reading this now may not be conclusive proof that I exist but only a mad person or philosopher would say it didn't even count as evidence.

3) That the external world we perceive is real (ie, we are not brains in vats).

Same as above. Of course we could be brains in vats. We could be the vats that contain the brains, or any other speculative arrangement. But that doesn't stop our collective sense of the universe around us from being evidence that these things are not so.

Note that we are back to the difference between evidence and proof. You seem to want atheists to be able to prove that we are not brains in vats. Or more realistically to prove that we are what we seem to be. Time to wake up, Fergal. No one can do that. We don't need to. We accept the evidence on the balance of probabilities, and all we ask is that theists do the same. We don't ask them to prove their gods exist, just to provide some evidence for them.
    Spent the last hour or so trying to find out more on this, as your sort of calling my rationality into question here...

I really don't think you've provided any good evidence against brains in a vat

I don't have to. There's no evidence that we are brains in vats. If I somehow turned up some compelling evidence that we weren't brains in vats you would just move the goal posts again, and ask me to prove that we weren't cells in a cosmic table leg or some other equally bizarre speculative nonsense that no one can disprove. There's literally no end to the number of things you could require me to disprove before we were left with the 'truth'. That's why you can't prove a negative. And that's what I mean by an infinite metaphysical loop. You have it all the wrong way round. If you wish to assert that we are brains in vats, it's up to you to provide the evidence for that claim. Else why should I listen to your ravings rather than anyone else's? We can all come up with speculative claims that can't be disproven, which of course is exactly what gods are. That's why it's reasonable to ask for the evidence.

; I think I've done a reasonable job of refuting what you claim has been evidence.

Rubbish.

You really haven't. You've just said it isn't conclusive proof, which is a totally different thing altogether. You need to come up with something better. You need to come up with a good reason to think the evidence points to something other than what it seems to. "Things might not be what they seem" really isn't good enough. Of course they might not, but why should we think they are not? On what do you base this claim?

If you wish to deny that evidence is evidence you have to show that it's evidence for something else. Think of it this way:

Sensory input exists, right? Are we agreed on this?

Therefore it is evidence for something, right?
    Are we agreed on this? (If you say it's evidence for nothing at all, I really will question your rationality.)

So, on the balance of probabilities, what is it most likely to be evidence for?

Please select one:

a) that we are brains in vats
    b) that we are part of a computer matrix
    c) that the world we perceive around us exists
    d) all of the above

And explain your reasoning. You are of course at liberty to add and select further options, but the requirement to explain your reasoning remains.

In support of this assertion, I'd like to point out that not everyone here buy my has accepted the evidence as viable (some posters have agreed with me), and I'd also like to point out, that after looking it up a bit more, it turns out this is a very open question in philosophy, which better minds than me have argued.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulated_reality
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_in_a_vat
    http://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html
    http://www.cavehill.uwi.edu/bnccde/ph29a/putnam.html

The last provides an argument which purports to be evidence against the brains in a vat hypothesis, however, I don't find it immediately convincing, but I've only just read it.

Philosophers have to earn a living just like the rest of us, and they get paid for discussing this sort of stuff. It's interesting reading, but you'll note that there's no evidence for any of it so it remains rightly in the realm of speculation. Just like god. I'm afraid I don't have time to read it all, so if there is any evidence in there for any of the speculations you'll have to post it here.
    I believe my refutations stand on their own here (open to correction) and this is not an appeal to authority - rather, it's me saying: Hey, I'm not out on my own here (as you accuse me of being) - better philosophers than I have also considered this problem and found what you say is evidence unconvincing (I bring them in for numerical support, rather than authority).

In fairness they don't find it so unconvincing as to go and start living as though they were brains in vats. Nor do you, come to that.

Or do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

You could be a brain in a vat, and experience all of the above.
    Yes, I could be. But all the evidence that I have suggests that I'm not. And there is no evidence to suggest I am.

And in fact a lot of evidence suggests I'm not. For example, if I was a brain in a vat, and my "experiences" where simulated, then how could this imaginary world knock me out?

Well you say, it I could be a brain in a vat with a big hammer that hits me every time a simulated hit takes place. Which again I could be, but again what is the evidence I am?
    It doesn't validate your senses; your 'evidence' is not evidence.
    It is evidence. In fact it is the only evidence we have. It could be faked, in the same way I could get your finger prints all over a gun and leave it beside your dead boss while faking a phone call from him saying that he was scared you were trying to kill him.

But if it is fake there isn't a whole lot we can do about it. That doesn't stop it being evidence pointing to a conclusion.
    You can't take your sensory perceptions as evidence that you are living in an objective reality out there (a non matrix-like reality), because if you were in such a reality, they'd be the same as they are now.
    Yes but that doesn't stop it being evidence.

Using the example from the last post, if the oxygen is actually nitrogen altered to look like oxygen, that doesn't stop there being evidence that it is oxygen. The evidence is fake, but that doesn't mean there isn't any.
    I'm saying if you want to say for definite that your perceptions are evidence of the existence of the world that they percieve, without assuming anything, you need to rule out other hypothesis that also would explain the perceptions (eg: matrix style computers).
    No you don't. I can say for definite that my perceptions are evidence for a physical world. That isn't the same as saying for definite that I am actually in a physical world, but there certainly is evidence that I am.
    If you are talking just about likelihood, or utility, I'd agree, but this is a discussion about what there is and isn't evidence for.

Yes, but as someone else has pointed out, I'm not sure you are using the same definition of "evidence" as everyone else. You appear to be using evidence as someone would use the term "proof".

I cannot rule out that the evidence is wrong, or faked, but that doesn't mean there is no evidence, only that there is no absolute certainty.
    Reason to question correctness of senses: Could be in the matrix, in which case you wouldn't be perceiving physical world.

But I would still be perceiving evidence that I was in a physical world. Again, absence of certainty that I am in a physical world is not the same as no evidence I am in a physical world.
    Now your coming around.
    I assure you I'm not :D
    However, if I do choose to believe that I am not in a computer system, I will not claim that I have evidence to support my belief.
    That is my point.
    Again you are invoking a negative.

What evidence do you have that you are in a computer system. None

Your argument seems to be based on the idea that unless we can rule out all other possibilities then something isn't evidence.

Which makes nothing evidence. You come home and find your wife sleeping in your bed with another man. Is that evidence your wife is having an affair. According to you no it isn't. You have absolutely no evidence your wife is having an affair unless you can rule out all other possible explanations, such as your wife was asleep in bed while this man sky dived through the roof, ripping his clothes off while aliens repaired the sky light.

Which is a silly way of looking at evidence.

You have an assertion (Your wife is having an affair). And you have evidence to support that assertion. (Your wife is lying naked in bed with another man who is also naked and they look like they just had sex with each other)

Does that mean your assertion is 100% absolutely certainly true? No, there is always possibility that something else happened.

Does that mean you don't have any evidence? No, of course not. You have your wife lying in bed with another man looking like they just slept with each other.

You appear to be confusing proof with evidence. Really there is no such thing as "proof". We can never know anything for 100% certainty. We can never be 100% sure about anything. Science recognizes this, and there have been a lot of discussion about this idea on this forum and on the Creationist thread on the Christianity forum.

That doesn't mean you never have evidence of anything though.

• Advertisement

Yes, but as someone else has pointed out, I'm not sure you are using the same definition of "evidence" as everyone else. You appear to be using evidence as someone would use the term "proof".

He's going to quote dictionary.com again. One of the definitions of evidence there is "proof", however, another is "an indication or sign".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

He's going to quote dictionary.com again. One of the definitions of evidence there is "proof", however, another is "an indication or sign".

:pac::pac::pac:

If you wish to deny that evidence is evidence you have to show that it's evidence for something else. Think of it this way:

Sensory input exists, right? Are we agreed on this?

Therefore it is evidence for something, right?
    Are we agreed on this? (If you say it's evidence for nothing at all, I really will question your rationality.)

So, on the balance of probabilities, what is it most likely to be evidence for?

Please select one:

a) that we are brains in vats
    b) that we are part of a computer matrix
    c) that the world we perceive around us exists
    d) all of the above

And explain your reasoning.

Sensory input exists, I agree.
    It is evidence for any and all hypothesis that explain it.

But I can say nothing about the probability that it is evidence for a,b, or c.
    I mean, I've no information about which might be most likely, so how could I make a judgment about the probability? Where would I get this information from? My experience in this world can hardly be applied to it?

Whatever setup there is outside the universe, is, by definition, not something I can reason about the probability of based on information I obtain within this universe.

Imagine you asked me whether A or B was more likely? It quickly becomes clear I have no information to make that judgment upon.

And surely this applies to C as well?

If there was some reason you had to think C was more likely, then you would be right to believe it in absence of any evidence for a hypothesis that is not C.

My point is that you do not have any reason to think that C is more likely.

I'm now satisfied that you are misrepresenting Dawkins.
    You may be right - I didn't think so, but I may have been wrong - I'll come back to this at some point in the future, after reading through those bits of the book again.

Originally Posted by rockbeer
    b) only being able to come up with one example of something atheists believe in for which you contend there is no evidence.
    Originally Posted by fergalr
    I only need one.
    You need one that stands up. You don't have one so far.
    Whether it stands up, is, of course, subject to the ongoing discussion.
    But you attacked on the basis that I had only provided one, rather than that I had provided none that yet stood up, that's why I said 'I only need one'.

I note that you've dropped this. But let me just say that I don't accept that inductive reasoning is something people 'believe in' the way they do in deities. It's a tool. Sometime it's the right tool for the job and sometimes not. Like a hammer. Do you need to 'believe in' a hammer to knock in a nail? It works for that task, however you feel about it, but it's no use for cutting logs. Inductive reasoning is a useful, generally recognized set of guidelines for thinking about things. It's pretty much useless for playing the guitar with. That doesn't make it an article of faith.
    I really don't want to get into this one, which is why I drop it, but you totally be the question there.
    The only reason I know the hammer works for the task, is because I can go out and test it by formulating hypothesis about it being good to test nails, and conducting experiments hitting nails, and seeing if the results hold up to what I expected. If someone just showed me a new glass fibre hammer, I wouldn't just know it was good at hitting nails, I'd have to try it out on a couple, and see whether it shatters or (because they say carbon fibre is really strong) successfully hit the nails. If it worked on the first 10 nails, I'd be very inclined to believe it'd work on the rest.
    But, it should be obvious to see that I'm using inductive reason here to establish whether the hammer is good at hitting nails. I'm using past experience with hammers, or similar things, and inducing from that that the hammer will be good in future. I'm not deriving it from first principles.
    That's how I decide the utility of tools in general - past experience, and induction.

You here are using past experience and induction to reason for induction.
    That's begging the question - assuming the thing you are trying to prove.

Inductive reasoning is bloody useful for playing the guitar with. Try play the guitar without it! Why would you believe that plucking the strings would give a particular note, if not from inducing future consequences from past experiences? You gotta use it. The utility argument is bombproof.
    But that doesn't mean you have evidence for it. And stop trying to use inductive reasoning to provide evidence for itself.
    This is a pragmatic belief rather than a speculative one. The evidence is sensory. You might not think the evidence particularly strong, but to say there's none is just nonsense. The fact you are reading this now may not be conclusive proof that I exist but only a mad person or philosopher would say it didn't even count as evidence.
    Ok, I'll give you that one; I agree that there's evidence other beings have inner worlds like I do. They seem to be biologically built the same as me, and they definitely exhibit behavior of equal sophistication, including talking about their inner worlds etc, and even though I only have access to one inner world to reason about, there is evidence.

I will no longer cite this as an example of something atheists believe without evidence.
    Same as above. Of course we could be brains in vats. We could be the vats that contain the brains, or any other speculative arrangement. But that doesn't stop our collective sense of the universe around us from being evidence that these things are not so.
    I differ from you here. Maybe I'm wrong to do so, but I don't think the collective sense of the universe - which could just as easily be originating from a super computer - is evidence that we are not brains in vats.
    Note that we are back to the difference between evidence and proof. You seem to want atheists to be able to prove that we are not brains in vats.
    No.
    I just want either:
    A) Evidence that we are not brains in vats. Not proof, evidence.
    or
    B) Admission, that on the basis of evidence, we can no more say we are part of a real world than part of a simulated (brains in vats) one.
    Or more realistically to prove that we are what we seem to be. Time to wake up, Fergal. No one can do that. We don't need to. We accept the evidence on the balance of probabilities, and all we ask is that theists do the same. We don't ask them to prove their gods exist, just to provide some evidence for them.
    I really don't think you've provided any good evidence against brains in a vat
    I don't have to. There's no evidence that we are brains in vats.
    There is equal evidence that we are brains in vats, to that we are in some real world as perceived.

Brains in vats is a hypothesis that explains these sensory inputs.
    It explains them as surely as that we walk around in a real world does (though the real world one is how we more commonly think about it).

As a hypothesis, 'brains in vats' fits all the evidence just as well as 'the world is real' fits the evidence.

So, we have two hypothesis here:
    1) The world is out there, a big rock in space
    2) I am in a simulation of the world.

All the sensory input is completely consistent with both.

Yet, you believe 1), and not 2)
    Why?

If you said: 'because it's more useful.' that'd be fine with me.
    But you say, 'because you have more evidence' for it? I don't accept this. The evidence is completely consistent with both, so how is it more for the world being real?

If you provide any evidence, or evidence based argument against 2 then it's completely reasonable to believe just 1, or that 1 is more likely, on the basis of evidence. That's why I asked if you had any evidence against 2. Because you believe in 1.

If you have no evidence against 2, then 1&2 both are equally plausible, based on the evidence.

And yes, if you refuted 2, then I could just introduce 3... hence it's not reasonable to believe just 1, based solely on evidence.
    If I somehow turned up some compelling evidence that we weren't brains in vats you would just move the goal posts again, and ask me to prove that we weren't cells in a cosmic table leg or some other equally bizarre speculative nonsense that no one can disprove.
    Yes.
    There's literally no end to the number of things you could require me to disprove before we were left with the 'truth'. That's why you can't prove a negative. And that's what I mean by an infinite metaphysical loop. You have it all the wrong way round. If you wish to assert that we are brains in vats, it's up to you to provide the evidence for that claim.
    I do not wish to assert that we are 'brains in vats'.
    I need to be completely clear on this.

All I am saying, is that 'brains in vats' explains the available evidence just as surely as 'the world is real'.
    If, and only if, you believe 'the world is real' above 'brains in vats' YOU must introduce evidence to support that hypothesis.
    And in order for your evidence to actually support that hypothesis above 'brains in vats' you have to produce evidence that is consistent with 'the world is real' that is inconsistent with 'brains in vats'

That is why the burden of proof rests with you.
    You are the one saying 'the world is real' above 'brains in vats'

So you must introduce evidence for this. You have not yet done so. Your sensory perceptions do not cut it, as they are just as much evidence for 'brains in vats' as for 'the world is real'.

As you cannot provide such evidence you must accept that you have no evidence basis for believing 'the world is real' above 'brains in vats'.

Then, you either say:
    I believe 'the world is real' as opposed to 'brains in vats', for some reason that isn't evidence.
    OR
    As I have no evidence of 'the world is real' above 'brains in vats' based on the evidence, and as I do not believe one hypothesis over the other, except based on the evidence, I do not believe 'the world is real' over 'brains in vats'.

Lol, ok, that's pretty funny :)
    As I've already explained though, I was using the terms loosely in the first few posts, that was a mistake, trying not to do that now...

You have an assertion (Your wife is having an affair). And you have evidence to support that assertion. (Your wife is lying naked in bed with another man who is also naked and they look like they just had sex with each other)

Does that mean your assertion is 100% absolutely certainly true? No, there is always possibility that something else happened.

Does that mean you don't have any evidence? No, of course not. You have your wife lying in bed with another man looking like they just slept with each other.

Yes, but surely in the example you have just given, there is only evidence because I can make deductions based on the *likelihood* of aliens putting naked men into bed beside my wife vs the *likelihood* of my wife having an affair that puts a naked man in bed beside her?
    I can only make those deductions, based on those likelihoods, based on past experience and information about the world I live in.
    Its that experience that makes the naked dude be evidence of an affair.

But with the 'brain in vat' vs 'world is real' I have no frame of reference, external to this world, which allows me to say "it's more likely 'the world is real' vs 'brains in vats'" based on what I perceive.
    That's where the difficulty is.

What I am doing in your example, really, is saying:
    "Based on my knowledge about how often aliens put naked guys into wives' beds VS how often affairs put naked guys into wives beds, the evidence I see (naked guy in wife's bed) is greater evidence of an affair, than of alien action"

If I lived in a world where aliens were doing that sort of thing all the time, for the craic, and where I believed the chance of my wife having an affair was very low (loyal wife) than the naked guy in bed beside my wife wouldn't be much evidence of an affair at all. It certainly would be no more evidence of an affair than it would be evidence of alien action. If I believed there was an affair happening on the basis of that evidence, I would be wrong.

Similarly if you want to say there's more evidence of 'world is real' VS 'brains in vats' you can only do so based on knowledge about how often real-seeming-perceptions (such as I experience right now) occur in real conditions vs simulated ones.
    And I have no knowledge about that.
    For all I know 99% of worlds out there are simulated.
    If it was the case that 99% of the worlds were simulated then the real-seem-perceptions would be more evidence of living in a simulated world, than in a real one.
    If it was the case that 99% of the worlds out there were real, than the real-seeming-perceptions would be more evidence of living in a real world, rather than in a simulated one.

But if we can say nothing about the likelihood of living in a real world, vs in a simulated one, (which we cannot, as that information is outside our universe) we can say nothing about the likelihood that the real seeming perceptions are evidence of a real world vs evidence of a simulated one.

And without some sort of knowledge that real-seeming-perceptions lead more often to a real world rather than a simulated world, how then, are my perceptions evidence that the world is real, vs that it is simulated!??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

ferglr - you're happy with my earlier response here that it answered your questions fully?

I'm going to shift the goalposts slightly here myself and suggests that it's not necessary for atheists to 'believe the world is real' - a belief which, you argue, is a leap of faith.

It's only necessary to believe that it behaves as though it were real, a belief which can be arrived at based purely on perceptual evidence without having to jump through any metaphysical hoops. This isn't a dishonest stance. In truth, I can honestly say that I don't particularly believe the world is 'real' any more than I believe it is a 'simulation'. And it makes sod all difference to how I live or behave. I would even argue that any distinction between the two is quite possibly meaningless. Brains in vats? Computer simulations? It could be either or both, and I'm happy to remain agnostic about it pending further evidence. So at least one atheist declines to make that particular leap of faith.

The true nature of reality is irrelevant to how it works and possibly unknowable. Brains in vats, computer simulation, multidimensional cosmic stage, whatever. Since we have to exist in it, we like to determine how it works by testing it.

Luckily it seems mostly deterministic, or at least statistically predictable. This allows us build a framework for how it works.

In science, we even have pretty much a global standard for testing stuff. You can believe whatever you like, but unless it's verifiable by testing it will, and should, be attacked.

Since some things can't be tested, people will fill in the gaps with something that makes sense to them. I feel it is reasonable to attack someone's belief that what they have filled the gap with is absolutely true.

I'm going to shift the goalposts slightly here myself and suggests that it's not necessary for atheists to 'believe the world is real' - a belief which, you argue, is a leap of faith.

What we said!

robindch wrote: »
    ferglr - you're happy with my earlier response here that it answered your questions fully?

I am not fully satisfied with it, I am afraid.
    I don't care what individual believers believe. I find a lot of it funny, strange, weird and so on, but ultimately I don't care -- these are their beliefs and they're welcome to have them. I do object to them making judgments, particularly on social issues, which are untroubled by evidence, but that's another thread.
    This is another thread, but I think your position is quite reasonable, fwiw.

Logically, if I choose to believe something for which there's no evidence -- effectively, anything I can imagine -- then I can do that if I want to. I then open up a much larger can of worms because using the same logic, I can then not refuse to accept my own belief (or that of somebody else) that a second thing exists, whose existence contradicts the existence of whatever I chose to believe earlier. Therefore, I must believe X and not X simultaneously, which is a contradiction. Hence, I can safely conclude that my initial premise, that it's reasonable to believe something for which there's no evidence, is wrong.
    I don't think that's a valid application of Reductio ad absurdum.
    In your argument, when you choose to believe the second thing whose existence contradicts the first, you choose to let go of any problem with believing two contradictory things.
    You allow contradiction in your beliefs at that point, when you relax the normal requirement that you don't believe two contradictory things; not at your initial premise.
    Therefore your conclusion, X and !X is not reached just from your premise 'believe things without evidence', therefore your argument is invalid.

Another way, if you never relaxed the rule that you don't believe two contradictory things, your argument wouldn't work.
    There are people who believe things without evidence, but who refuse to believe contradictory things.

So your argument does not work, except in the trivial sense that if you allow yourself believe contradictory things, you will get contradictions.

(I may well be wrong in my analysis here, if so, please point out why - I ain't no non-logician).

In religious terms, if a christian tells me that his god exists (the most powerful god there is) despite there being no evidence he does, then I'll tell him back that my god exists too and he's also the most powerful god, but different from the first one. Clearly, at most, only one of us can be right and we then need to consult something more reliable than our unsubstantiated beliefs.
    At most only one of you can be right. If two people believe two contradictory beliefs, only one of them can be right.
    Evidence sounds like it might do the trick.
    It might, yes. In this case, if one of those people could show evidence to the other, it'd probably solve things - if your all powerful god was willing to provide evidence, it'd clear things up very quickly.
    What's your point though?

• Advertisement

Wow!
    Did a ball just pass between where you had the last ones or something?
    (just kidding, not trying to be an arrogant mofo)
    It's only necessary to believe that it behaves as though it were real, a belief which can be arrived at based purely on perceptual evidence without having to jump through any metaphysical hoops. This isn't a dishonest stance. In truth, I can honestly say that I don't particularly believe the world is 'real' any more than I believe it is a 'simulation'. And it makes sod all difference to how I live or behave. I would even argue that any distinction between the two is quite possibly meaningless. Brains in vats? Computer simulations? It could be either or both, and I'm happy to remain agnostic about it pending further evidence. So at least one atheist declines to make that particular leap of faith.
    I'm right here with you.

Only thing is, what if we add all powerful gods to the list of things like brains and computer simulations? Are you agnostic about them too?

Also, is it still possible to maintain a position of atheism about such gods/brains/simulations, even there is no evidence for or against them, on the basis that there is a low utility to believing in them?
    Or must you maintain an agnostic stance?

Wow!

This isn't the first time you've indicated that you think you've scored. You haven't. In fact, I think a running track or a threadmill is a better analogy for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

I don't have the time at the moment unfortunately to reply to your responses to what I last said fergalr but I do plan to get around to it later.

However, this section of your reply to rockbeer struck me as rather odd:
    No.
    I just want either:
    or
    B) Admission, that on the basis of evidence, we can no more say we are part of a real world than part of a simulated (brains in vats) one.

Are you absolutely positive that's what you want?
    We hear this a lot from theists about ‘gods’ – absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. However, the only logical position surely is that absence of evidence is evidence of absence.
    For example, we are born without the idea of any ‘god’. However, we are taught by our parents, teachers... someone, that ‘god’ exists. Our default position is nothing, the idea of ‘god’ must be introduced into our minds. We can agree I’m sure that there is no evidence for this ‘god’ within this reality that we perceive. So if we call this belief into question, the onus is not on us to provide evidence of absence, the onus is on those who promote the idea to provide evidence for the idea.

Therefore I think it is completely illogical for you to request that we provide evidence that we are *not* brains in vats. You have introduced that idea. We are born without the idea of ‘god’. Perhaps that default position is incorrect. We are born accepting that this reality is as we perceive. Perhaps that default position is incorrect. However any deviations from this default position must provide evidence for their position.

To elaborate on the ‘absence of evidence *is* evidence of absence’ point, providing evidence that something does not exist is completely impossible! For example, to prove that the Flying Spaghetti Monster (a deity that lives – or is believed to live - within this reality) one must be able to search the entire realm of this reality for said deity. It goes further. To be sure that the FSM didn’t hide under the bed after you had just looked there and sneaked behind you, you must be able to perceive the entire reality all at the *exact same moment in time* in order to be confident that you have seen absolutely every possible place the deity could exist (in this reality).

THEN, should we still be convinced? Following on from your line of reasoning about evidence and senses, if I could not perceive the FSM across the entire plane of reality, would you believe me that it doesn’t exist? I doubt it, because its non existence is only true for me most likely, I could be lying, deluded etc. As we’re dealing with a deity, you could then go on to say that the FSM can transcend this reality and pass outside of it to avoid detection, or perhaps my senses can’t actually perceive it at all.

So, do tell, how exactly does one provide evidence that something does not exist, or that we are indeed not brains in jars.

I'm separating this following part of my post because I don't want it to get mixed in with what I'd consider my actual point above:

Can you answer a few questions about these brains in jars?

Are they human brains, or snorklaxx brains that have been tricked to believe they are human?

If they are human brains, do they match up with what we know about brains within in this reality? For example, human brains cannot sexually reproduce, so then how do we see new individuals come to be in this reality? Is it all a trick? Are they just copies? Bad copies? Old consciousnesses reused and recycled?

Question with no definitive answers. Ad infinitum.

My point is, you can't answer my questions sufficiently. You can make guesses, unless I'm mistaken and you have evidence.

This is not true about this reality/plane of existence. If I ask you a question about it, you can answer it with an example or a demonstration using evidence from within this reality. Doesn't that say a little something about this reality? That logically speaking, we can disregard all questions about whether reality is 'real' or 'not' as they cannot be answered? Do you really seek to equate something you can imagine with something you can actually percieve?

If you can imagine something, does that automatically give it credence?

Also, is it still possible to maintain a position of atheism about such gods/brains/simulations, even there is no evidence for or against them, on the basis that there is a low utility to believing in them?
    Or must you maintain an agnostic stance?

Maybe an agnostic stance on a non intervening god is necessary. We've already discussed the relevance of such a god. This is not the case for a god that can do stuff.

Wow!

At the metaphysical level you wish to argue on I agree, from that perspective there is no way of knowing whether brains in vats is more or less probable than the universe being real. Call that a goal if you like.

So what's the score now, 5-1 to me? ;)
    Only thing is, what if we add all powerful gods to the list of things like brains and computer simulations? Are you agnostic about them too?

I think at this level you'll find that just about any atheist you can produce is. Dawkins, for example, counts himself as a category 6 atheist: "Very low probability (of god's existence), but short of zero. I cannot know for certain but I think god is very improbable."

I concur with this entirely. I have no problem with saying "I don't know" to the idea of a non-interventionist deity who exists entirely outside our universe (pending further evidence becoming available). I strongly suspect it's not so. I think it's probably less likely than the computer sim - at least we know computers can exist, unlike pan-dimensional super-beings with powers and all that. But the only honest response to anything about which there is absolutely no data is I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

I think at this level you'll find that just about any atheist you can produce is. Dawkins, for example, counts himself as a category 6 atheist: "Very low probability (of god's existence), but short of zero. I cannot know for certain but I think god is very improbable."

I concur with this entirely. I have no problem with saying "I don't know" to the idea of a non-interventionist deity who exists entirely outside our universe (pending further evidence becoming available). I strongly suspect it's not so. I think it's probably less likely than the computer sim - at least we know computers can exist, unlike pan-dimensional super-beings with powers and all that. But the only honest response to anything about which there is absolutely no data is I don't know.

Which brings us to the idea of the practical use of the word 'atheist'. I don't know a single atheist (As a biologist so I know a lot of atheists) who declares that they know there is no 'god', just that most likely there is no 'god'. Just like the Atheist Bus says 'There's probably no god...'. Atheists work under the assumption that there is no 'god', based on their being no evidence, the impossibility and the fact that humans make **** up.

Compare this to some other people, who know that their 'god' exists.

Which brings me back to the point I made ages ago and that rockbeer pointed out very well - I think you misunderstood Dawkins when you read The God Delusion or watched a debate he was attending. I've never heard or read him say that he knows that there is no non-interventionist god, whether it lives within or outside this reality. Only that said 'god' means **** all.

In fact how could you even think that when he clearly defines himself not to think that way?

GothPunk wrote: »
    I don't have the time at the moment unfortunately to reply to your responses to what I last said fergalr but I do plan to get around to it later.

However, this section of your reply to rockbeer struck me as rather odd:
    Are you absolutely positive that's what you want?

Yes.
    I know you guys see a lot of arguments like what I'm making here, asking people to prove a negative. I find myself having to repeat this a lot here, but don't tar this with quite the same brush.
    I don't say that I will believe we are brains in vats, unless I see evidence to the contrary. That would be like a theist saying 'I will believe in god, unless I see evidence to the contrary'.
    I instead believe that we can say nothing about the hypothesis that the world is real vs. that we are brains in vats, unless I see some evidence either for the world being real, or against the brains in vats.
    And it's in that context that I am quoted above.

We hear this a lot from theists about ‘gods’ – absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. However, the only logical position surely is that absence of evidence is evidence of absence.
    I don't agree there. Absence of evidence is only evidence of absence where you can make statements about the likelihood of their being evidence if the thing was present.
    For example, we are born without the idea of any ‘god’. However, we are taught by our parents, teachers... someone, that ‘god’ exists. Our default position is nothing, the idea of ‘god’ must be introduced into our minds. We can agree I’m sure that there is no evidence for this ‘god’ within this reality that we perceive. So if we call this belief into question, the onus is not on us to provide evidence of absence, the onus is on those who promote the idea to provide evidence for the idea.
    Yes, I agree.
    This is because I have a lot of working knowledge about this reality, in which I inhabit, that makes be believe it would be unlikely to contain such gods. I won't rule it out, but given some assumptions I make about the nature of this reality, that are highly useful to me (logic, reasoning, perception, things of that nature) I would need evidence before believing in other than the absence of such a being.
    In other words, if you told me that I was living in the Matrix, based on my earlier posts, I'd have to say "well, ok, I don't find that useful to believe, but if that's what you think, I can't argue with you on the basis of evidence" - I honestly can't say anything about how likely it is I'm in a simulation or a reality.

But if you then say there are Agents running around out there, jumping from building to building, I'll say, "Well, have you any evidence for this?" and not believe it till I see some. I'll even go so far as to say 'I don't think there are' because based on my experience with this world, I reckon if they were out there, I'd have heard of them by now.

Therefore I think it is completely illogical for you to request that we provide evidence that we are *not* brains in vats.
    I only ask for it in the context that someone prefers a competing hypothesis over 'brains in vats', without apparently any more evidence.
    You have introduced that idea. We are born without the idea of ‘god’. Perhaps that default position is incorrect. We are born accepting that this reality is as we perceive. Perhaps that default position is incorrect. However any deviations from this default position must provide evidence for their position.
    Ah, I think that's very weak.
    You are trying to get one idea more primacy over the other on the basis that it's what people are born with, rather than anything else.
    My argument seeks to say that 'world is real' is not in any way a more default position than anything else.
    If you assume it as default, and require evidence to knock it, then there's nothing I can do.
    But assuming it because somehow babies are born with it, I find very unconvincing.

It can also be nastily used as an argument *for* god - in that primitive isolated tribes everywhere seem to produce deities - probably, by extension, even isolated humans, if we removed them from contact with the rest of humanity, - perhaps then, it is god, rather than lack of god, that is the natural state, and needs evidence to move from the default position?
    Surely you don't want to go down this road? I find it very unconvincing, and think its as much an argument for theism as atheism.
    To elaborate on the ‘absence of evidence *is* evidence of absence’ point, providing evidence that something does not exist is completely impossible! For example, to prove that the Flying Spaghetti Monster (a deity that lives – or is believed to live - within this reality) one must be able to search the entire realm of this reality for said deity. It goes further. To be sure that the FSM didn’t hide under the bed after you had just looked there and sneaked behind you, you must be able to perceive the entire reality all at the *exact same moment in time* in order to be confident that you have seen absolutely every possible place the deity could exist (in this reality).

THEN, should we still be convinced? Following on from your line of reasoning about evidence and senses, if I could not perceive the FSM across the entire plane of reality, would you believe me that it doesn’t exist? I doubt it, because its non existence is only true for me most likely, I could be lying, deluded etc. As we’re dealing with a deity, you could then go on to say that the FSM can transcend this reality and pass outside of it to avoid detection, or perhaps my senses can’t actually perceive it at all.

So, do tell, how exactly does one provide evidence that something does not exist, or that we are indeed not brains in jars.
    In fairness, I've taken pains at various points to show I'm not arguing this.
    I only looked for evidence against 'brains in jars' as it was being rejected in favor of another thesis 'world is real' seemingly on the same evidence.

Regarding your post here, I think that I defeated your "default position" argument, you are now back to either accepting 'brains in jars' and 'world is real' as competing equals, or looking for evidence against 'brains in jars' or evidence supports 'world is real' but does not support 'brains in jars'

I'm separating this following part of my post because I don't want it to get mixed in with what I'd consider my actual point above:
    Sure, I'll try treat it as separate.
    Can you answer a few questions about these brains in jars?
    Yes, I can answer all these questions about these brains in jars that I introduce as an alternate hypothesis that also explains the evidence, and is on the same level as 'world is real' but that I do not claim to be true, based on evidence, any more than I claim 'world is real' to be true, based on evidence.
    Or anything else.
    Are they human brains, or snorklaxx brains that have been tricked to believe they are human?
    It's cylons actually, in my thought experiment, but could be equally any of what you just said.
    If they are human brains, do they match up with what we know about brains within in this reality?
    Yes, but their not the same entities.
    For example, human brains cannot sexually reproduce, so then how do we see new individuals come to be in this reality? Is it all a trick? Are they just copies? Bad copies? Old consciousnesses reused and recycled?
    New ones are constructed atom by atom by a poweful god, that by complete co-incidence, is just like the flying spagetti monster.
    Question with no definitive answers. Ad infinitum.

My point is, you can't answer my questions sufficiently. You can make guesses, unless I'm mistaken and you have evidence.
    Given that this is a hypothetical world, that I introduced as a hypothesis to challenge the primacy of the idea that the 'world is real' as we perceive it, I can give definite answers in any way I please, as long as I don't at any time give an answer that is inconsistent with the evidence that we have - ie, our real seeming perceptions.
    As long as it's completely consistent with them, like the theory that the world we see is real is completely consistent with them, then it stands as an alternative hypothesis about which we can make no likelihood judgements vs 'the world is real'.

This is not true about this reality/plane of existence. If I ask you a question about it, you can answer it with an example or a demonstration using evidence from within this reality.
    Yes, in this existence, assuming several things that I regularly find to be useful to assume (as do most people) then we can definitely make challenges to each other and provide demonstrations of evidence etc.
    None of this is at odds with the 'brains in jars' hypothesis.
    Doesn't that say a little something about this reality? That logically speaking, we can disregard all questions about whether reality is 'real' or 'not' as they cannot be answered? Do you really seek to equate something you can imagine with something you can actually percieve?
    We can certainly disgrard all questions about whether reality is 'real' or 'not', on the basis that we have no evidence with which to discuss it - but at the same time, we must disregard all questions about whether we are 'brains in jars' or not, and whether 'non-interventionist god is real or not'.

My only problem is with the atheists (and maybe there are none) who will quite happily disregard such questions on reality, as outside their knowledge, but still insist on evidence for the 'non-interventionist god', insisting that without evidence they have knowledge that such a thing does not exist.
    If you can imagine something, does that automatically give it credence?
    No.

At the metaphysical level you wish to argue on I agree, from that perspective there is no way of knowing whether brains in vats is more or less probable than the universe being real. Call that a goal if you like.

So what's the score now, 5-1 to me? ;)
    Could well be at this stage! As long as I'm learning stuff, I'm happy, and I'm definitely learning stuff here.
    He is saying though that he believes the probability is very low. I'd disagree with him there - if he's referring to a non-interventionist god (or to the probability of any god existing, which includes the non-interventionist ones), then I'd say that probability is unknowable.
    If he's referring to god's in this universe, that do miracles and have prophets and stuff, I understand him much better.
    I think this is a very reasonable position.
    I can see no logical contradiction there.

• Advertisement

Which brings us to the idea of the practical use of the word 'atheist'. I don't know a single atheist (As a biologist so I know a lot of atheists) who declares that they know there is no 'god', just that most likely there is no 'god'. Just like the Atheist Bus says 'There's probably no god...'.

I don't know how they can make statements about the likelihood of the existence of such a god though?
    If they say they believe such statements, without evidence, then I understand, but otherwise I think they have to say they have no knowledge of the likelihood?

Atheists work under the assumption that there is no 'god', based on their being no evidence, the impossibility and the fact that humans make **** up.

Compare this to some other people, who know that their 'god' exists.

Which brings me back to the point I made ages ago and that rockbeer pointed out very well - I think you misunderstood Dawkins when you read The God Delusion or watched a debate he was attending. I've never heard or read him say that he knows that there is no non-interventionist god, whether it lives within or outside this reality. Only that said 'god' means **** all.

In fact how could you even think that when he clearly defines himself not to think that way?

Advertisement