Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Have prices really come down that much?

Options
  • 26-11-2008 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Just got back from my local mechanic and while there we got to chattin about motor prices. Now, he told me that he was offered two '07 Discoverys about two weeks ago for 25k!! Ive known this guy all my life and he is in no way a lier or Bulls/~+t merchant.

So have prices come down that much and are there really serious bargains to be had out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I heard the same story where it was bought at the "repossession auctions" for 17k and was under the reserve so was sold after auction for 25k. The whole thing smacks of 'Urban Legend' if ya ask me.

Cue lots of people saying they also know a guy and it definitely happened

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That sounds weird, it hasn't come down that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Land-Rover/Discovery/2007?cacheBuster=1227715801650699

closer to the truth then you think!!!

Discoveries between 25-30k and this is before a little haggling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭NDM

ya see thats what i find so wierd..prices cant have come down that much can they?

doesnt make sesne to me..and if someone else had started a thread sayin whats above id be like "ye right", but this guy is genuine as they come and i do believe what he says..

thats why im confused!!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaybee747

All those motors between 20 and 30k are commercials which tend to be alot cheaper than the passenger version.Just looked at the new price for commercials and they start at 39k, i'm not sure how the vat works on commercials but they are 33 ex vat, so not that much of a drop for a motor thats 2 years old in a months time.

Having said that i have noticed massive decreases in most cars, hanging on myself until January/February to grap a bargain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

There are massive drops in prices in car prices at the minute.

VW have just cut nearly three grand off the price of any 1.4/1.9TDi Passat or Golf that is physically in the yard at MDL (nearly 900 Passats) and the same amount has come of the 1.6 Jetta.

Toyota have dropped prices on any Avensis that is in stock, to make room for the new model coming later next year.

I myself have a 06 Focus van with 99000kms on it and i'd take 8k for it. Lots of bargains to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Used commercial 4x4s like the Discovery and Landcruiser had taken a dive as they were popular with builders who have since gone out of business.

High volume sellers like Golfs, Passats and Focus have also taken a serious tumble as there is an oversupply of them on forecourts.

Of course it is only good news if you are in a position to buy with no trade-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

bazz26 wrote: »
    Used commercial 4x4s like the Discovery and Landcruiser had taken a dive as they were popular with builders who have since gone out of business.

+1

It's the same with alot of commercial yokes. Lad who had the money flowing in, and now it's gone so the jeeps need to go.

As they said on the radio the other day "The only thing could about the reccession is that builders are coming back to finish the jobs they wouldn't, because they had better things to do" :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

My aunt got an Auris in May 2007. They were offered 9000 euro in a trade in (by Toyota)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

regedit wrote: »
    My aunt got an Auris in May 2007. They were offered 9000 euro in a trade in (by Toyota)

That was their way of saying they didn't want it. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I was offered 20k for my GT.....and it was more like "We'd offer you about 20k but really we don't want to do down that road...best off selling it private"

Not surprising that commercials have come down

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

A mate of mine phoned up a garage enquiring about a 06 S40 2.0 diesel SE last week and was told 24,000. he told them that was a crazy price and that he could get it for maybe 10000 less up north or in england. anyway he left his details and told them to call if anything cheaper came in. 15 mins later the lady in the garage rang back and told him he could have it for 18000 if he bought it now. 6000 drop in 15 mins. crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Mr Tim Buktoo

so will prices keep coming down then? say if i left it untill next summer to buy? bout time i got rid of my 91 starlet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

so will prices keep coming down then? say if i left it untill next summer to buy? bout time i got rid of my 91 starlet

Check with the lads in the Classic forum, you might find savings on tax and
    whatnot if it's a classic starlet..

/shudder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Mr Tim Buktoo

classic! i doubt that very much. although it is a classic to me. great little banger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭dunkindonuts

fearruanua wrote: »
    A mate of mine phoned up a garage enquiring about a 06 S40 2.0 diesel SE last week and was told 24,000. he told them that was a crazy price and that he could get it for maybe 10000 less up north or in england. anyway he left his details and told them to call if anything cheaper came in. 15 mins later the lady in the garage rang back and told him he could have it for 18000 if he bought it now. 6000 drop in 15 mins. crazy

What garage was that??

Advertisement