Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass kiosk on the Grand Parade

Options
  • 26-11-2008 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

What would you put into it??????

What does Cork need??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

24hr Pole Dancers.

Yup, the official word is all these kiosks are gonna form part of Corks new red light district...top notch hookers, and right in the city centre....might even rival Amsterdam!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

There are several coffee shops within a few yards of their locations too. it's never made sense to me to have them there. I wouldd like to see coffee kiosks. I fancy the idea of grabbing a takeaway espresso on the way through town in the morning.

On a serious note though, The boardwalk one by the river will probably be snapped up alright (Coffee shop) but i reckon the other 2 on Grand Parade remain unoccupied for another few months.
    The rent in those yokes would be unreal, i couldn't see it being a worthwhile investment.

I was passing them the other night (serious mode now) and the thought that struck me was, if property is being left unoccupied on the cities main street (I'm thinking of Mangos store, I know there was some Del Boy affair renting it recently but not permanent), what chance is there of any of these extremely limited kiosks succeeding?? I see them being empty for a long time, sadly.

Personally I like the concept though, I'd love to see a proper ice cream bar in one, cafe in another, outdoor seating in summer (with umbrellas natch!)...very european :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

it was build by them coffee pod fellahs but after they started building they lost permission to have a coffee bar there

mawk wrote: »
    it was build by them coffee pod fellahs but after they started building they lost permission to have a coffee bar there

Isn't there at least three of these on the grand parade, you're saying they were all built by a private company to be cafes? Surely thats public ground and the council would have built them to rent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

mawk wrote: »

I don;t know where to begin telling you whats incorrect about that statement :)

The two pods (plus one which is now a super-duper toilet) were built by Cork City Council and are now in the process of being leased. The expected uses would be food/coffee and possibly news paper vending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Put a few fish into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

On a serious note though, The boardwalk one by the river will probably be snapped up alright (Coffee shop)
    Surely there's no room for another coffee shop there. Right on the boardwalk there is Coffeepod, Cafe Gusto, Club Brasserie, The Boardwalk, Kudos, the Clarion, all in one spot. If the weather is good, they all do well, but this summer had very few sunny days and they must have suffered badly. In 2007 I had coffee on the boardwalk many sunny afternoons and it was always busy, but this year they seem to have been kept alive only by a small regular trade from builders from the Elysian and the likes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

On the topic of the boardwalk - I can't believe my bridge is closed off! Temporarily of course (I hope) but it's really annoying!! That was my fastest and nicest route to town. Boooo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

440Hz wrote: »
    nicest route to town. Boooo

Where will the scenic winos and roma beggars go now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

hehe!! Good point :)

I presume its only a temporary closure for that bridge - anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

440Hz wrote: »
    hehe!! Good point :)

I presume its only a temporary closure for that bridge - anyone know?

Which bridge is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

If its Nano Nagle Bridge you'r talking about, its NOT closed at all. They kept it open right through construction.

I sont see the point of the Boardwalk here at all. Myabe in the future when it links down to South Gate Bridge it will be of more use.

Advertisement