Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol - Urban Myths

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I've tried the slow pumping thing the last few times I've filled my car - not surprising there was no discernable difference in fuel economy. It's got worse if anything, but I noticed my tyres had all gone down about 3-4psi since I last checked and it's been about 6000 miles since I last got the oil changed...

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

PETROL is sold volumetrically i.e. by the litre.
    but its energy content depnds on its mass (kgs)
    you'll get more mass per litre when its colder (better value)
    and less mass per litre when its warmer (worse value)
    but the underground tanks in a station are kept at constant temp (or close enough to make no difference)

as far as PETROL QUATLITY:
    YES petrol comes in varying qualities, but it dosnt make any diff to you're mpgs, i think there may be a minimum octane number of 92 in ireland (could be wrong on this) but 95 is normal, (not like in usa where i think you can get 85).

In short i'd be far more concerned with how accuratly the pumps are calibrated. if i'm selling you petrol for 98c/L but my "litre" is only 970mls then thats really 101c/litre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

c-note wrote: »
    PETROL is sold volumetrically i.e. by the litre.
    but its energy content depnds on its mass (kgs)
    you'll get more mass per litre when its colder (better value)
    and less mass per litre when its warmer (worse value)
    but the underground tanks in a station are kept at constant temp (or close enough to make no difference)

as far as PETROL QUATLITY:
    YES petrol comes in varying qualities, but it dosnt make any diff to you're mpgs, i think there may be a minimum octane number of 92 in ireland (could be wrong on this) but 95 is normal, (not like in usa where i think you can get 85).

In short i'd be far more concerned with how accuratly the pumps are calibrated. if i'm selling you petrol for 98c/L but my "litre" is only 970mls then thats really 101c/litre

True, and petrol pumps correct for temperature too, so you get a "standard" litre of petrol. The standard litre of petrol is based on a temperature of 15 degrees, so pumps correct to the equivalent amount.

Advertisement